360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can't you just feed 100 pound mono into 4-5 feet of 60 pound jb hollow, serve and glue the end? This is similar to a windon without the loops. I would have the spinner spooled with the 60 pound hollow. It would be a good match as 60 pound jb hollow breaks close to 100 pound when tested. I have read not to use 60 pound hollow for windons and I don't see why if you can feed thinner 100 pound leader through a 80 pound needle. This connection should be super strong and not bulky. Just make a new one before each trip and that is all you need unless you break the line.

I plan to make this connection tommorow and I will do a static test. I don't have time to test it for hours, but I may hang 50 pounds off it overnight to see what happens.

·
724 Posts
Why can't you just feed 100 pound mono into 4-5 feet of 60 pound jb hollow, serve and glue the end? This is similar to a windon without the loops. I would have the spinner spooled with the 60 pound hollow. It would be a good match as 60 pound jb hollow breaks close to 100 pound when tested. I have read not to use 60 pound hollow for windons and I don't see why if you can feed thinner 100 pound leader through a 80 pound needle. This connection should be super strong and not bulky. Just make a new one before each trip and that is all you need unless you break the line.

I plan to make this connection tommorow and I will do a static test. I don't have time to test it for hours, but I may hang 50 pounds off it overnight to see what happens.

The deal isn't how much constant load will it hold for a given period of time. What I do is put the loop in the end of one of my wind-ons over the handle of my bench mount vise and then I wrap the mono around a thickly padded hunting glove and then pull back very hard on it putting some of my weight into it. I then slack and let the line drop about a foot and then lean on it again. I do this over and over again to see if it starts slipping. If it isn't done right it may very well not slip for the first 5 or 6 or more cycles and then you will lean on it and it will seem to slip. You won't be absolutely sure so you'll pull again and it will slip more the next time. You can then keep repeating the process and a few cycles later you will pull the mono out of the hollow core. The advantage to wind-ons is if you have a fish get your leader against some barnacles or something and weaken your leader you quickly change wind-ons and resume fishing. Another thing is you might check your wind-on after each fish you catch and if their has been any slippage of the mono, change out your wind-on.

·
1,386 Posts

Dave_nowlin made good comments on the test protocol. A static test is not sufficient no matter how long you hang the weight for (almost any splice will hang forever without slipping). You have to cycle the load (many leaders break down if you do).

To your basic question, you can insert mono into 60# and serve it. However, unless your design can withstand 50 cycles at 80% load and be cast through the guides for a few hours without being damaged, it will eventually come apart on you.

60# JB, although strong, is very thin and easy to damage in the splicing process. I suggest that you splice a few yards of 80# onto your 60#, put an end loop in the 80# and attach your leaders with a single loop-to-loop. Make your leaders with 80# braid which is better to splice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts