360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
164 Posts
No worries: I wasn't claiming there warn't no such term... I just hadn't heard it while I was over there and it wasn't in my dictionary (in the US it's called "chunking"). Look, it took me a couple days to figure out that "ta" meant "thank you"... just interested and asking.

No offense mate but what do you call this type fishing.
You cut small pilchard cubes and throw them over the back and then sneak a hook in one of those cubes.

As far as I know it's called "CUBING"

Why not visit a well know Australian fishing site called Fishnet | Home and do a search on "CUBING".
Then you can tell all those blokes there's no such term.

·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
No worries: I wasn't claiming there warn't no such term... I just hadn't heard it while I was over there and it wasn't in my dictionary (in the US it's called "chunking"). Look, it took me a couple days to figure out that "ta" meant "thank you"... just interested and asking.

Thats cool thats why I said no offense .
Just to get it straight tho are you from Aus or US.
You sort of threw me of when you said you went to the Macquarie University in your first post and in you last post you said you haven't heard the term while you where over there.

BTW what did you think of Australia,did you do much fishing.

·
164 Posts
I loved Australia, especially being there at age 21. Only fishing I did was on Fitzroy Island and then inland on Nelson Lakes NZ... too much of my time was taken up drinking and chasing girls.

If I get back I'll prioritize things a little better.

·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I loved Australia, especially being there at age 21. Only fishing I did was on Fitzroy Island and then inland on Nelson Lakes NZ... too much of my time was taken up drinking and chasing girls.

If I get back I'll prioritize things a little better.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
1,366 Posts
Carbontex Drag Washers from Smooth drag are $11.50 + shipping for the Saragosa 18000F. Get yourself some Cal's grease too if you don't have any :)
Brian,

Would any other off the shelf reel grease work for the Carbontex drags; I.e. Penn Reel Grease?

Ty

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
Hey Ty!

Drags need to use drag grease only. (Some will say to not use any other grease even Close to drags either.) I don't know the chemical difference, but drag grease does have a sticky consistency.

I already had Shimano drag grease when I bought my Carbontex washers. But seem to remember that Cal's is very reasonable from Smooth Drag. (1oz. container should be enough for at least 10 reels.)

Or if you already ordered the drags, you might be able to find Shimano drag grease locally. I bought a 1oz. container at Academy recently for a few bucks.

Later!
Jason

·
358 Posts
Brian,

Would any other off the shelf reel grease work for the Carbontex drags; I.e. Penn Reel Grease?

Ty

I think the reason they recommend using Cal's and Shimano is because they are supposed to be lighter Teflon based lubricants that stand up to heat buildup better. I've never used the Penn Reel Grease since I've never seen anyone reccomend it for Carbontex.

·
208 Posts
What is the difference between the Dartanium drag and the Carbontex drag found in the saragosa? Is there a need to change to a carontex

In my experience, dirtaniums are more expensive, more fragile, and leave much more dirt in your reel than carbontex washers. I've never heard of dirtaniums being preferable; but, I have heard of guys keeping them until they needed replacement, then switching to carbontex. In other Shimano reels, I've replaced them w/carbontex and use Cal's grease on them. If you want to know about Cal's grease, call Cal (626.357.4441); I think it's supposed to be stable up to 500 degrees (Fahrenheit, I guess). I've never known him to oversell his stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys
I just had a 18000 saragosa delivered and was wandering if 60 pnd braid would be enough.
I am putting it on a shimano 400 jig stick and will be using it for tuna mainly and some jigging for kingfish etc.
Some of the tuna here can get to 100 kilo's if your lucky.
What are your thoughts.
Thanks.
How much line did you get on it

61 - 71 of 71 Posts