60 or 80 pound braid for a 18000 saragosa.

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Gozz, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Hi guys
    I just had a 18000 saragosa delivered and was wandering if 60 pnd braid would be enough.
    I am putting it on a shimano 400 jig stick and will be using it for tuna mainly and some jigging for kingfish etc.
    Some of the tuna here can get to 100 kilo's if your lucky.
    What are your thoughts.
    Thanks.

2. papio

papio Senior Member

Mine is loaded with 80lb Tuff-Line XP and my 14000 is loaded with 65lb.

3. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

same here exept powerpro.

4. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Mine is loaded with Varivas Avani Jigging 10x10 PE6 (breaks at 70lb) and 80lb Fisherman Stealth Leader tied together with P.R. knot

5. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

I spool for my friend 18000 with 200 yard of OTI 80lb + 15ft 130# seaguar fluorocarbon leader.

6. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Thank you for your reply's.
    I'm leaning towards 60 to 65pnds instead of 80pnd as I can get more on and I only need to run the drag at about 20 to 25 pnd which will give the reel much more life.
    How have you found your saragosas so far,any problems.

7. JerseyBrian

No problems so far. I've changed out my stock drag washers for Carbontex versions. We'll see how well the reel performs for the month of August. I have 2 trips planned for AJs :cool:

8. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

No problems so far. I've changed out my stock drag washers for Carbontex versions. We'll see how well the reel performs for the month of August. I have 2 trips planned for AJs :cool:

Keep us posted.
    Do you notice when you are reeling the line in the reel feels very jittery and unbalanced.
    Never experienced this with another reel before.

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

mins has 100lb on it.

10. papio

papio Senior Member

That's some serious poundage. Bret, you trying to catch Mobey? Ha ha!

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i did it just because i wanted to test the reel at about 30lbs of drag. mainly because i wanted to see whether shimano was full of crap or not about it handling 44lbs.if fishing this weekend gets hot i'll screw it down and try, otherwise i just use normal poundages. :)

12. JerseyBrian

Keep us posted.
    Do you notice when you are reeling the line in the reel feels very jittery and unbalanced.
    Never experienced this with another reel before.

No, I haven't felt or noticed anything like that. This is my first "BIG" Spinning reel so its naturally a little awkard because of it's sheer size , but while fighting some fish down in the Dominican Republic last week, I didn't notice a weird wobble or line lay while reeling in....

13. jig

jig Senior Member

If casting is in your plans, you will do much better with 65 than 80.

14. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

gozz. i noticed this on my 18000. i think when the line doesnt lay even it throws it a little out of balance. same thing happened on my stella 20000. it only seemed to happen after i dropped 150-200 yards of line the reeled it back in. after a few more drops it went away. while there was a fish on it wasnt noticeable.
    the line lay on the saragosa isnt the best. i guess because it isnt the super slow oscillation like the stellas.

15. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

gozz. i noticed this on my 18000. i think when the line doesnt lay even it throws it a little out of balance. same thing happened on my stella 20000. it only seemed to happen after i dropped 150-200 yards of line the reeled it back in. after a few more drops it went away. while there was a fish on it wasnt noticeable.
    the line lay on the saragosa isnt the best. i guess because it isnt the super slow oscillation like the stellas.

I was thinking the same thing.well hoping anyway.
    I only put about 30mts of 25pnd mono on the reel just to have a play while waiting for the braid to come in.
    I think this is the reason why it did it.
    I started to freak out a little when it started doing this silly little dance.

16. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

I just filled the reel to the top with some old 30 pnd line (mono) and thank god the jerkiness has gone.
    It still feels a little rough while turning the handle but the more I played with it the smoother it seems to get.
    The drag is awesome.
    I had it at 8kg (about 16pnds) where I run my tiagara and tld 50's and I reckon it's just as strong in pulling power.
    I'd love to see how good the stella drags are when these are already awesome.
    How much are the stella drags BTW.

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

what do you mean? how much drag can it handle?

18. JerseyBrian

Carbontex Drag Washers from Smooth drag are $11.50 + shipping for the Saragosa 18000F. Get yourself some Cal's grease too if you don't have any :)

19. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

what do you mean? how much drag can it handle?

What I mean is how good the stella drags as in smoothness,as the saragosa drag is already very smooth and strong.
    Plus I'm new to these big thread lines so don't take to much notice of every thing say.

20. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

Carbontex Drag Washers from Smooth drag are $11.50 + shipping for the Saragosa 18000F. Get yourself some Cal's grease too if you don't have any :)

Where is a good site to get these from as I'm in Aus and not sure.
    Does the stella 20000 drags fit straight into the saragosa 18000.
    Thanks heaps.