6/7/2009 tuna popping report

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Arrived at the ramp in Green Harbor for my casting scouting trip at 4am, made some quick baits just in case, and then headed out to the grounds. We found some promising signs of fish early, good marks, whales, birds, and tons of bait. I was forced to forgoe the bank, and am glad I did with the reports of the crowds. It is crucial for the spinning game to be able to work your won pods of fish, so crowds are a no no.

Found a busting pod of BIG fish in the 70 plus category, and set up perfectly as the school came across the bow heading away and to the right. Fred got hammered a few times with the popper in the melee, but it got knocked clean out of the water and 4 feet sideways.
    Came tight on a pig of a fish out of the same pod on an OTI goanna surface cruiser, but pulled the hook after getting my ass handed to me and working this stubborn fish back to the boat carefully. Fish turned direction, and was gone without much noise or fanfare.....and that would be the best chance we had of landing a fish on the spinning gear. Saw tons of fish breaking, but very quickly and without much gusto. The fish were definitely finicky, had numerous bumps and follows, but only got 2 or 3 quality hits on the casting attempts.

We also tried trolling various methods including live macks to try and salvage a fish, but didnt even get a whiff. Strange that we could not produce with the macks, as I got hammered instantly last trip out. The dogfish found them a few times, but they pretty much went unmolested all day, until they were aired out and frozen.

Had a good time despite the slow fishing, as we had plenty of sightings, a few right under the boat national geographic-type moments, and plenty of laughs. Thanks for heading out and doing the scouting run Fred.

I have seen enough to know the fish are here in very good numbers, of many different sizes as well, and are castable. It is time to concentrate on the hard tails on spinning gear for me.

The new Tuna sniper long cast rods from OTI are beasts! They cast a country mile, and are very strong rods with good lifting capabilities. Here is a few pics of the rod bending, but no kill shot on this day.
    View attachment 7254

View attachment 7255

Attached Files:

2. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

good report to bad you couldnt kill anything... did you see the lady frances out there??

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

nice report.
    great pics of the OTI sniper in action.

4. AndyP

AndyP Member

Dom- Thanks for the report and good news on the OTI that I will match up with the Stella 18000. Also good to see you out there yesterday. We had almost the exact same experience with a very big bft (Rich thought it was in the 200+ range easily and probably more like 250) that John fought masterfully for over 35 minutes with the same conclusion to the fight as yours yesterday. John is an amazing bft fisherman and I learned a lot from him yesterday. It was an honor to have the opportunity to fish with him. Funny that the fish that big were not taking the whole stick-bait in the feeding frenzy that we saw at the same time. Just got hooked on the forward treble in the side of the mouth--very strange that it would happen twice at almost the same time in the same pod. As hungry as they seemed, they were fussy taking the bait, which is not like my limited experience with spinning for bft. Guess if it were easy more people would be fishing that way, but it is by far the most exciting way to try for these magnificent fish.

5. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Dom- Thanks for the report and good news on the OTI that I will match up with the Stella 18000. Also good to see you out there yesterday. We had almost the exact same experience with a very big bft (Rich thought it was in the 200+ range easily and probably more like 250) that John fought masterfully for over 35 minutes with the same conclusion to the fight as yours yesterday. John is an amazing bft fisherman and I learned a lot from him yesterday. It was an honor to have the opportunity to fish with him. Funny that the fish that big were not taking the whole stick-bait in the feeding frenzy that we saw at the same time. Just got hooked on the forward treble in the side of the mouth--very strange that it would happen twice at almost the same time in the same pod. As hungry as they seemed, they were fussy taking the bait, which is not like my limited experience with spinning for bft. Guess if it were easy more people would be fishing that way, but it is by far the most exciting way to try for these magnificent fish.

Hi Andy. It was good seeing you yesterday, fishing aboard the Black Rose for BLUEFIN....just glad to finally be fishing for them again myself.

It was sure interesting to watch these fish shy away from just about everything we threw them, including live bait of all things. The fish I hooked was easily in excess of 250 pounds, probably much larger, as I got a look at the beast from up high on the casting deck. It was much bigger than the 71 inch 210 pound fish I got last week, and it too got the better and swam another day.

The treble looked to only have 1 barb in the rear lodged in the fish, and when it turned direction it easily popped the hook free without any effort or warning. It will be a real test of angling skills and boat handling to land these bigger fish that are around on the light gear....

6. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Hi Andy. It was good seeing you yesterday, fishing aboard the Black Rose for BLUEFIN....just glad to finally be fishing for them again myself.

It was sure interesting to watch these fish shy away from just about everything we threw them, including live bait of all things. The fish I hooked was easily in excess of 250 pounds, probably much larger, as I got a look at the beast from up high on the casting deck. It was much bigger than the 71 inch 210 pound fish I got last week, and it too got the better and swam another day.

The treble looked to only have 1 barb in the rear lodged in the fish, and when it turned direction it easily popped the hook free without any effort or warning. It will be a real test of angling skills and boat handling to land these bigger fish that are around on the light gear....

I am actually relieved to see that you guys had a similar experience. I was losing my mind all day yesterday wondering why the Tuna were shying away from everything. I was on fish non-stop all day long from about 7 am to 4 pm. All we had was one break off, and one fish bite a Sluggo in half 20 feet from the boat. We also had several fish follow right to the boat, but never take. It was a frustrating day for me.

7. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

I am actually relieved to see that you guys had a similar experience. I was losing my mind all day yesterday wondering why the Tuna were shying away from everything. I was on fish non-stop all day long from about 7 am to 4 pm. All we had was one break off, and one fish bite a Sluggo in half 20 feet from the boat. We also had several fish follow right to the boat, but never take. It was a frustrating day for me.

Thanks for taking comfort in my pain...LOL;)

It is those days of near misses and lots of near strikes that keep me coming back for more, rabid and frothy at the mouth! The elusive bluefin tuna....what a strange disease to be afflicted by.

8. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Thanks for taking comfort in my pain...LOL;)

It is those days of near misses and lots of near strikes that keep me coming back for more, rabid and frothy at the mouth! The elusive bluefin tuna....what a strange disease to be afflicted by.

Strange indeed.... Why couldn't I have just been a Bass fisherman...

9. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your kind words, it was a pleasure to fish with you
    as well. Im still sick over that fish:eek: it was a epic battle one that
    i will remember forever:)

10. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Arrived at the ramp in Green Harbor for my casting scouting trip at 4am, made some quick baits just in case, and then headed out to the grounds. We found some promising signs of fish early, good marks, whales, birds, and tons of bait. I was forced to forgoe the bank, and am glad I did with the reports of the crowds. It is crucial for the spinning game to be able to work your won pods of fish, so crowds are a no no.

Found a busting pod of BIG fish in the 70 plus category, and set up perfectly as the school came across the bow heading away and to the right. Fred got hammered a few times with the popper in the melee, but it got knocked clean out of the water and 4 feet sideways.
    Came tight on a pig of a fish out of the same pod on an OTI goanna surface cruiser, but pulled the hook after getting my ass handed to me and working this stubborn fish back to the boat carefully. Fish turned direction, and was gone without much noise or fanfare....

just a suggestion... remove rear hook on goanna cruiser and replace with dressed heavy assist hook .

Attached Files:

11. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Came tight on a pig of a fish out of the same pod on an OTI goanna surface cruiser, but pulled the hook after getting my ass handed to me and working this stubborn fish back to the boat carefully. Fish turned direction, and was gone without much noise or fanfare.....

just a suggestion, remove rear hook and replace with dressed heavy assist hook...

Attached Files:

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

John,
    Life is so unfair. While you were fighting big tuna, I was guiding my families in Newport, RI. Today is another gorgeous day with light wind, but I have to guide them around Rockport and Gloucester, MA.
    But my time will come. :)

13. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Kil,

Im sure your day will come, get up there asap ,there are some monsters
    around;)

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

John,
    Life is so unfair. While you were fighting big tuna, I was guiding my families in Newport, RI. Today is another gorgeous day with light wind, but I have to guide them around Rockport and Gloucester, MA.
    But my time will come. :)

Life is a two way street. You have to give a little back to those who let you fish most of the year.:) I hope the wedding went well and your daughter lives a happy long life with her new husband.

Putting up with the relatives is tough for me. I think of relatives as a fish. They begin to stink after one day.:eek:

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Putting up with the relatives is tough for me. I think of relatives as a fish. They begin to stink after one day.:eek:

LOL

Kil - I am definitely going to be there on July 2nd. I am not sure if I can fish other days yet, but definitely on July 2nd. I don't know if I can go up to Cape Cod bc of driving time, but definitely Cape May :)

16. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

Mr. Bill ,
    the way I fish , I won't have any relatives left , (catch & release) huh !! LOL

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Here's a new method of getting on the middle of a school of tuna before they sound. Get on top of school, toss popper, hook up, lower boat to water and fight fish.:D

Attached Files:

18. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Here's a new method of getting on the middle of a school of tuna before they sound. Get on top of school, toss popper, hook up, lower boat to water and fight fish.:D
    A buddy and I were discussing just this the other day. We want to buy a float plane with fold out fishing pods.
    You could fly where ever you needed fold out the pods and fish from the plane.

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I just got back from the airport.
    Now fishing comes first and the rest comes second. :) I got a notice new Jigging Master shipment arrived, but I asked them to deliver on Thursday because I need time to rest and the best way to rest is to go fishing. :)
    My time to go tuna popping comes earlier than I expect. :)
    I arranged with Capt Dom to do some tuna popping and we are going to meet at 4:00 am tomorrow morning and fishing will continue until next day if we can not catch one. :) But I can not too stay long as I go bluefin tuna jigging out of Virginia Sat or Sun depending on weather.

20. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

looks like chip landed 3 nice fish today and lost another bigger one. good luck tomorrow :)