59.32lbs Golden Tile Report

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Basil, May 15, 2009.

1. Basil

Basil Site Sponsor

I am posting this first-person report for Dwayne Sherard, who landed a beautiful potential IGFA world record and NJ state record Golden Tilefish on the Atlantic Star. Dwayne wrestled this 59.32lb fish on a Shimano Trinidad 30 loaded with 65lb Izorline spectra and a 50-foot 60lb Izorline BHP topshot. Other specs are: Calstar 800M rod custom wrapped by Martin Yoshida of Yo's Custom Rods in Gardena, CA; 7/0 Gamakatsu siwash hook, bluefish strip bait. The fish was officially weighed by Dave Arbeitman, owner of The Reel Seat in Brielle, NJ, who also called in a marine biologist to confirm the species. Dave will also assist in the IGFA record submission. The measurements of the fish are 46 3/8" length x 32.5" girth. Now, on to the report:

I was invited by Mike H. Jung of Peace Token Fishing Tackle to participate in a Tile fishing tournament on May 13, 2009. The Atlantic Star, Wildwood NJ left the dock around midnight for a journey of roughly seven hours to reach the fishing grounds. Our first stop was at a wreck just short of the canyon to determine if any “life” was there. The wreck was clearly alive with grey line tile. After a short stay we steamed the rest of the way to the canyon to begin the fishing for golden tile.

Arriving at the fishing grounds at approximately 8:00 AM with perfect weather we started to fish. To my amazement, as soon as the bait hit the bottom, the tilefish started biting. Drift after drift were producing an abundance of tilefish ranging in size from medium to large. Throughout the day to everyone’s amazement we caught bluefish ranging from 2 to 4 pounds in approximately 600 feet of water, which was perfect for bait. As the day started coming to a close, the captain announced he was getting ready to set up for the final drift at approximately 2:00 PM. Just before the captain made the announcement of last drift I caught a medium size bluefish. As we set up for the final drift I filleted the bluefish into strips to use as bait.

Just before drift was under way, I changed locations to the port side mid ship and let my line go down. Approximately two minutes after my line hit the bottom I got a bite. Immediately let out 2ft of line and received another bite. At that point I set the hook. Once the hook was set, the fish immediately took drag 10 to 15 yards of line. It was a slow and steady battle of give and take and a complete struggle for approximately 35 minutes. Then suddenly the air bladder of the fish exploded and the bubbles broke the surface of the water approximately 50 yards from the boat. And then the captain from overhead screamed that “this is a monster tilefish”. As I started to wind the last 50 yards of line the excitement started to build and I knew then I had won the battle, once at boat side it took two gaffs to pull the fish on board. In which was the finale for me and the “monster tile”. I knew this fish had to be a record but I was not sure just which one. It took me approximately 24 hours to get the tilefish officially weighed in, which was 59 lbs.3.2 oz.

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15402&d=1242435425

Other pictures from the trip can be seen on the Peace Token website.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

that is a HUGE tile!!!! awesome! ive caught bluefish in up to 400 ft of water but never that deep.

any other bycatch?

3. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

awesome catch and nice report....way to go.....rick

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The fish is one oz short of IFGA record, but it can be a NJ state recorod if approved.

The AS is my favorite charter boat for offshore seabass or blackfish last 5 - 6 years. I plan to charter the boat for tilefish on Merorial day if weather is calm.

5. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Kil keep me in mind for memorial day. Thanks

6. kenner21

kenner21 Member

wow that sucker looks fake it's so big , excellent report

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil keep me in mind for memorial day. Thanks
    Peter, I save one spot for you. The trip is strictly limited to 25 guys as we fish 400 - 800 ft water.

8. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Wow, congrats on a potential state record!

I would love to have a record fish any kind. I wouldn't care if it was largest gizzard shad on a fly rod I just want a record.

Awesome catch!

9. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Awesome catch and good report.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I have a cod jigging charter with 30 fishermen in New Hampshire on May 19, but I had to arrange another charter for golen tilefish in NJ on Memorial Day because it is very rare to catch so many big golden tilefish on a single trip.
    It is mind boggling to hear so many 40 - 50 lb golden tilefish on the trip.
    I know it doens't last long and I have to fish when it is hot. :)
    My charter is limited to 25 guys, but the trip was full within 24 hours after I announced the charter. :eek:
    Mark, who was previous IGFA world recorder of golden tilefish will join the trip to regain his title. :)
    Unlike blueline tilefish which love to hit jigs, golden tilefish don't hit regularly though we catch them on jigs too.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if i lived there still id be all over it.

is there any more room if i get a flight??? its on the AS right?

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

if i lived there still id be all over it.

is there any more room if i get a flight??? its on the AS right?
    Bret, if you can come, I'll give my spot and I work as a photographer for the trip. :)

13. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Bret you better effing come.

14. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

hey kil is mikey J going to be on this trip?