360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know a boat that goes out where you can catch larger sharks like mako here in TX. I was told dolphin docks, but I reached out to them and still am yet to get a response from them.

Mako is on my list of fish to catch and I’d like a chance at getting one. If someone can point in the right direction other than a private charter (I don’t have enough people that would want to go to justify the cost).

I’m not from Texas so I don’t know much about fishing around here other than with GPB.

TIA

·
Registered
143 Posts
I know back in the day when I went out with Dolphin Docks on the 60 hour runs they would often put out a shark line if things were slow or especially if a mako was spotted while running a drift. Most of the makos are taken during the winter months though, which is also when they tend to hit the bigger YFT. I haven't been on a trip when a mako was hooked but I can only imagine the chaos of a large mako on the line while 4 or 5 YFT are also hooked up.

It's a matter of a chance encounter really. Good luck with it though, a mako is on my list as well!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
We don’t see too many Makos up here on the upper coast like they do down south. Port A would probably be your best bet. There isn’t anyone that catches more Mako sharks than Capt. Timmy on the Dolphin Express.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So far the closest I've been to a mako is when one came up to the boat and started taxing everyone's blackfin as they came in. He never bothered to sniff the big dead blackfin that was drifted out on the shark line. For a shark that probably went 130 lbs he put down a bunch of footballs.

·
6,111 Posts
So I was on that trip, and the angler was a 15 year old young man whose whole intention was to catch that mako. He paid his own way 4 days in a row. Talk about determination! He had it boatside in 45 minutes after 5 laps around the boat. If y'all have never seen a 500# fish clear the surface with 6 feet of air underneath, it is incredible.
The DD guys (captains and deckhands) were at the the new FW dock when we came in. I remember hearing 1 of them say " our time is coming, guys. we'll get our chance." So thinking DD is not the best choice.(Capt. Tim notwithstanding of course..)
On the other hand, Fisherman's Wharf and the Scat Cat are historically very productive with the makos. I've seen a lot of them caught on this boat over the years. In fact Tx A&M marine sciences uses the Scat Cat to perform Mako shark research. Just a few weeks ago The SC crew (with our own Hyperman in the mix) caught, sat-tagged, and released 10
Mako's in 1 day!!!
Scat Cat is your boat, 1st mate Darrell is a mako catching MACHINE! He held the last boat record for makos at 400+.
I know for a fact he's boated at least 10 since I've known him. Very sharky boat with a very sharky crew!
I'll post a couple pics of this giant later.
Hope this helps in your quest!

·
609 Posts
I've been on two "tuna" trips when 600# plus Mako were landed. Both shut down tuna fishing for over 2 hours during a good bite. Then the fish rode out the rest of the trip on top of our tuna. My point is that shark fishing on these "tuna" trips does not set well with me and a number of my friends.

Doing it with a purpose such as catch, tag and release is another thing. Perhaps a charter with Mako fishing in mind would be something to explore.

Both of those huge Mako were caught on the Pelican from DSH.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I was on that trip, and the angler was a 15 year old young man whose whole intention was to catch that mako. He paid his own way 4 days in a row. Talk about determination! He had it boatside in 45 minutes after 5 laps around the boat. If y'all have never seen a 500# fish clear the surface with 6 feet of air underneath, it is incredible.
The DD guys (captains and deckhands) were at the the new FW dock when we came in. I remember hearing 1 of them say " our time is coming, guys. we'll get our chance." So thinking DD is not the best choice.(Capt. Tim notwithstanding of course..)
On the other hand, Fisherman's Wharf and the Scat Cat are historically very productive with the makos. I've seen a lot of them caught on this boat over the years. In fact Tx A&M marine sciences uses the Scat Cat to perform Mako shark research. Just a few weeks ago The SC crew (with our own Hyperman in the mix) caught, sat-tagged, and released 10
Mako's in 1 day!!!
Scat Cat is your boat, 1st mate Darrell is a mako catching MACHINE! He held the last boat record for makos at 400+.
I know for a fact he's boated at least 10 since I've known him. Very sharky boat with a very sharky crew!
I'll post a couple pics of this giant later.
Hope this helps in your quest!
what did he end up catching it on?
I saw a pic from a neighboring boat that the shark had took 2/3 of their wahoo before it was caught

·
6,111 Posts
what did he end up catching it on?
I saw a pic from a neighboring boat that the shark had took 2/3 of their wahoo before it was caught
Yep, cleaning service pulled fresh wahoo chunks from the gut. The mako shut down a pretty good morning wahoo bite we were trying to get there for.
fish was caught on a butterflied 8# jack crevalle.
Bobby is right about the way catching a mako shuts down everything until its over,
so perhaps a discussion needs to happen before trying that on an expensive tuna trip
or an open day trip. Scat Cat gave back an extra 1.5 hrs of fishing to cover the lost time on the mako, making us an hour late to the dock but it paid off right at the end with a wide open king bite.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m not trying to do it during a tuna trip. Just looking to find options other than private charter to catch them

·
Banned
5,121 Posts
I’m not trying to do it during a tuna trip. Just looking to find options other than private charter to catch them
Go on a red snapper or bottom trip in water over 100 feet,
Reel up your fish fast, so it gets barotrauma and floats.
Get your big rig, and float out the RS or other fish on free spool
a long way, along with all the other floating throwbacks.
Mr Shark and Mr Mako is out there collecting the snacks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
From what I've observed HJ is absolutely correct in the fact that you will definitely get a shark to bite that. Unfortunately in the gulf it will be a hammer 9 times out of 10. Maybe 9 out of 10 is an overestimation, spinners and blacktips will also be there. Every time I've fished snapper the usual suspects have been there. Tuna trips seem to be where makos show up. My experience is only based on the gulf, HJ knows a lot more water than I do.

·
Banned
5,121 Posts
Depends where the OP is located,
a trip to LA or SD in JUNE will yield mako sharks.
Plenty of shark charter guys you can find a split charter to get on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What I can say is tough fish to lose! Still some good sashimi up there!

HJ, Illy was asking gulf but I'm not sure if that's the only choice. I know the chances off west or east coast are better but in the gulf we have to go a ways out for the conditions to be more conducive to makos. I would guess that out of Venice LA it's easier given how close the drop comes in. Then again that is private charter territory and OP was looking for party boat chances.

Not sure if DD or any of the other Port A outfit's still do 24 hour trips during the winter but that would be a good bet for not going on a tuna run but getting to float out a dead one with cast offs and having a shot at a mako.

·
776 Posts
Go on a red snapper or bottom trip in water over 100 feet,
Reel up your fish fast, so it gets barotrauma and floats.
Get your big rig, and float out the RS or other fish on free spool
a long way, along with all the other floating throwbacks.
Mr Shark and Mr Mako is out there collecting the snacks.
Shame on you HJ. Everybody knows that using any reef fish for bait in the Gulf is very illegal.

·
6,111 Posts
I know the chances off west or east coast are better but in the gulf we have to go a ways out for the conditions to be more conducive to makos.
just an FYI, that 500# fish was caught at 48nm offshore, and they've been caught off the beach at Big Shell.
they can show up anywhere, from what I've learned its the WHEN. After shallow gulf waters start to warm over 70
degrees, they move into deep water. Captain Ronnie says he's never caught a mako after march 30th down here.

·
Banned
5,121 Posts
Shame on you HJ. Everybody knows that using any reef fish for bait in the Gulf is very illegal.
I do not recognize mandates from the government that infringe on my personal liberties,
like wearing a mask, following so called fishing regulations, speed limits, etc.

Fishing the Gulf of MEXICO,
I do not recognize the US claim on this body of water,
and refer to the original territorial water boundary set forth
in the Constitution, which was set at 3 miles.
Thus, when further than 3 miles,
being in International Waters,
I do not recognize any laws or fisheries regulations imposed
by any state or regulating body of the US government.

:) 💪

1 - 20 of 29 Posts