500g Jigging Master Power Spell

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Aug 3, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I pan to open a jigging and popping specialty shop in NJ soon, probably as early as September. As the shop is designed to provide products which I used successfully or with which I have confidence, I ordered many items to test myself and get to know them. One of the items is Jigging Master products. Jigging Master rods are well known among jiggers throughout the world and have very good reputations as one of the strongest rods and well balanced. but I got to try them myself before I carry them.

I got 500g 4'8" and 5'2" JM Power Spell rods from JM.
    Boy, 500g rods are not joke. They seem like broom sticks with thinner diameter. :) I would rate them 600g and up. I feel like I can land any tuna, even cow in 150 - 200 lbs with the rods. The rods are not light, but you can see them as serious jigging rods for big fish or heavy jigs for jigging deep. I don't know any jigging rod records over 30 kg of weight test as 500g Power Spell.
    I think 300g - 400g JM Power Spell are good for our average size tuna as even 300g JM Power Spell surpass most of 500g jigging rods of other brands by weight test.
    I am pretty simple guy and like to use tackles as simple as possible.
    When I made some inquiries about the jigging rods, I am in awe how they are serious about making rods and every components they use and every parts of rods are accounted for and explained for.
    While I am examining the rods, I get the idea the rods/blanks can be an excellent chunking or live bait rods for tuna, even for cow as the rods/blanks are super strong and very light to hold all day and easy to fight as they are parabolic action rods. The other application is to catch big AJ or grouper on jigs or baits at oil rigs. I observed on the Big E that many guys use very heavy rods and 30 - 50 reels to target them. I think it is much easier and comfortable to use ligher, but strong rod like 500g JM with smaller, but powerful reels like Daiwa Ishidai, Trinidad 40/50 or John Baker reels.
    I can't wait to fight big tuna with the rods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Ksong,
    I have been interested in one of these rods for a long time. I have seen the JM videos on youtube. My plan was to use for deep jigging for snowy grouper. 500 to 600g jigs in 750 to 800ft of water.

I was thinking about putting Saltiga 40 on it. What do you think?

You can shoot me a PM with purchase infomation if you like.

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

kil how much does it weigh? is the rod a more parabolic bend? i really like the jigging master rod i have, they are so strong.

you should bring this rod with you the next time i fish with you ;)

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Hey Kil..good luck with the new store
    the JM are some great rods.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hey Kil..good luck with the new store
    the JM are some great rods.
    Thanks Paul.

JM has been evolved. the lever weigh of 400g JM was about 17 kg (38 lbs) in 2004 and now 400g Power Spell is over 30 kg (67 lbs) and lighter. JM what you see and use in the US is somewhat different from the latest Power Spell.
    While 400/500g JM Power Spell rods are in $430-450 range which is not bad, the 400/500g blanks are about $180. They have enonomic version of JM rods/blanks called Terminator with retail blank price of $100-110. Guys who used Terminator rods said the rods are not far behind Power Spell and those rods are good for soft mouthed fish because they have more fiberglass.
    However, they discontinued Terminator rods/blanks, but I think I can get them if there are enough interest. I am going to get a few samples of Terminator rods and I decide wether to carry them or not after I test them.

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

yeah the terminator are close to the PS
    i could only compare the 300-400g models but they are hard to tell apart
    i havent built the terminators yet
    just have them sitting here for now
    i have cut a few down, but i still like the slightly longer size

7. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Good luck with the new endeavor Kil! Have you decided where you will be opening up the shop in New Jersey?

The only JM Power Spell rod that I had the opportunity to fish was a 300g (or 400g, I forget) rod in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. The rods are SUPER nice and VERY VERY strong. Attention to detail was excellent as well as the little touches of machined alumnium that JM adds to their rods... very attractive looking rods.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Good luck with the new endeavor Kil! Have you decided where you will be opening up the shop in New Jersey?

The only JM Power Spell rod that I had the opportunity to fish was a 300g (or 400g, I forget) rod in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. The rods are SUPER nice and VERY VERY strong. Attention to detail was excellent as well as the little touches of machined alumnium that JM adds to their rods... very attractive looking rods.

Brian,

Are those your rods? Or just some you saw during the trip?
    Nice combination. I am looking to get a set up like that.

Ty

9. JerseyBrian

Those are not my rods/reels (except for the Twin Power and the ass end of that Hot's rod). They were Carlos's. :)

10. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Those are not my rods/reels (except for the Twin Power and the ass end of that Hot's rod). They were Carlos's. :)

Sweet looking rods and I like those T-Bar Power Handles. I want to get a red one for my Daiwa Ishidai Z40. You know of a good place to get them?

Ty

11. JerseyBrian

Sweet looking rods and I like those T-Bar Power Handles. I want to get a red one for my Daiwa Ishidai Z40. You know of a good place to get them?

Ty

I know Anglers Pro Shop sells a T-Bar power handle, but don't know if it'll fit your Ishidai Z40 reel. I also know Jigging Master sells a 93mm AND 98mm T-Bar power handles (I'm pretty sure the 98mm T-bar can be accomodated for the Z40 Ishidai)....PM Kilsong for those ;)

12. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I know Anglers Pro Shop sells a T-Bar power handle, but don't know if it'll fit your Ishidai Z40 reel. I also know Jigging Master sells a 93mm AND 98mm T-Bar power handles (I'm pretty sure the 98mm T-bar can be accomodated for the Z40 Ishidai)....PM Kilsong for those ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. Just sent him a PM.

Ty

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

That rods looks sweeeet

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

TY, the JM T-bar handles will arrive in late August.

15. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Will they fit Saltiga conventional?

16. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

[​IMG]

Looks nice. A red one would look even better on my Ishidai Z40 :eek:
    Both of them mounted on a red JiggingMaster Power Spell 400g would complete my desires for this reel.

Ty

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

18. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Brian,

Thanks. I was able to get it from Paul (jprrods) today (Thursday) while I was there to check out some spiral wrapped rods. I must say that those rods look really good in person. Paul spent plenty of time answering all of my questions, even if I was a bit indecisive regarding the color combination I wanted for my custom spiral rod.

The rod will be a 450g or 500g Jigging Master spiral wrap, with red thread that match the red of my Ishidai Z40 reel and the JM Handle. I will also use a matching red JM rod balancer and gimble.

The Jigging Master handle looks nice and the color match is perfect.
    I did have to drill out the old handle. I look forward to testing out out at the end of the month in NC.

Ty

Attached Files:

19. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Very cool. NC will be a good place to give it test drive.

Fred