360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to post a video for you guys to see the 500 gram jigging master in action. This is a custom model made by JPR Rods. The rod is no joke. It's too much for me to jig with all day. Video is with 20# of drag.

Reel is a Ocea Jigger 4000p. Super smooth reel with lots of power. Don't like the grip and not sure if I like the 4/0 size.

Gary

G

·
you dont like the ocea grip? hm...i think youre the first person to say so :)

Ask kil if jigging master makes a handle that will fit. you'd probably like that one better. it's a great handle.

That rod is extremely strong, though id recommend 25-30#s of drag with it. :eek: :)

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you dont like the ocea grip? hm...i think youre the first person to say so :)

Ask kil if jigging master makes a handle that will fit. you'd probably like that one better. it's a great handle.

That rod is extremely strong, though id recommend 25-30#s of drag with it. :eek: :)

The grip might not be so bad if it was angled like all the other grips. It runs parallel to the rod which sucks. I'm going to try the "knob" handle on my next trip.

I would say the rod is perfect with 30# of drag. However it's not safe in a boat made using 2 piece constructions with relatively low gunnels. It was set at 30# on the first fish and I came very close to getting pulled out.

Gary

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
i find with that grip on the 4000P, i am, turning the rod/reel on a little angle when jigging.
but keeping straight when fighting.
the reel is nice,
but i seem to use the saltiga's more up here.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Most fish under 150 lbs don't need 30 lbs drag and it is really hard for fishermen to fight with 30 lbs drag.
I fought 130 - 140 lbs bluefin with 22 - 24 lbs drag on JM Power Spell 350g rod and I was very comfortable when fighting.

I thought many guys buy 4000P because of the grip. :)
I experimented Trinidad40N with JM custom power handle. It looks very nice and is very comfortable to handle. But the shaft doens't fit perfectly for TN40N though it should fit for 4000/5000P.

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you mean it's too much for you to jig all day. Do you mean the weight?

The outfit all together is on the heavy side. That weight, high drag and the heavy jigs just wore me out much too quick. My light outfit right now is a saltist 30T on a medium heavy rod. After an hour with the jigging master/ocea jigger the saltist felt like a toy. It was much easier for me to jig with. With "small" fish such as the 30-35" amberjack we were catching I'll use the lighter gear.

Gary

·
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ksong said:
Most fish under 150 lbs don't need 30 lbs drag and it is really hard for fishermen to fight with 30 lbs drag.
I fought 130 - 140 lbs bluefin with 22 - 24 lbs drag on JM Power Spell 350g rod and I was very comfortable when fighting.
/QUOTE]

The reason for the high drag in my case is to drag the fish out of the oil rigs. I may dedicate the 500 gram to live bait grouper fishing and get a 350 gram instead.

I'm have an OTI prototype blank to build. I super ancious to build that and try the Ocea on it.

Next trip out I will try the knob handle as I think I may prefer that. If not I'll spring for the jigging master handle.

Gary

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
A customer visited my shop this evening with SalitgaZ40 and OJ 4000P to know whether JM custom handle can fit to those reels.
He was very happy man when he left my shop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts