5 minutes 40 seconds of freespool

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by alantani, Apr 8, 2009.

1. alantani

alantani Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you guys are among the best, so someone here has to be able to peg this one. what is this, and what did i do to make this spool spin for 5 minutes and 40 seconds? just so you know i was not cheating, the drag is set to 20 pounds at strike. it is ready to fish, just as it sits. i'll be back tomorrow to see what kind of answers we get. alan

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

looks like a TLD with a replaced frame?

other than that, no idea. some sort of magic? 5+ minutes of free spool is ridiculous.

you should make a video where you cook a steak start to finish (and possibly eat it) all while the spool is still spinning :p

3. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Def. a tld two speed topless!

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

All I gotta say is, WOW!

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Removed the grease from the spool bearings and oiled them with reel x.

d-a

6. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

i agree with bret it looks like a tld with and aftermarket frame. with that kind of free spool i can only imagine the hours i would spend getting back lashes out of that puppy.....rick

7. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

In addition to the new frame, I would have to say upgraded bearings that are oiled, not greased.

8. HWK

HWK Senior Member

TLD 20 Tiburon conversion / flushed bearings with Rocket fuel ball bearing lube.

You also some how free floated the spool / disengaged from the gear train.

9. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

:eek: Still can't imagine that.

But... TLDII, open frame, with upgraded bearings/lube and custom cut bearing tube.

10. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

Removed the bearings, cleaned them, applied teflon grease to the bearings and the reel housing and to top it off you installed teflon greased Carbtontex drag washers. But, even after all this I still don't see how this could produce almost 6 min of freespool.

And the winner gets to keep the reel???

11. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

Along with all the lube and bearing upgrades, it seems to me that the speed at which you spin the spool to begin with would have a direct impact on the length of time it spins on its own.

I have a mental image of you with something that looks like a pull-start cord for an outboard wrapped around the spool and giving it a yank as if you were trying to start a motor. Seems like that might give it enough energy to maintain the 5+ minute spin. :) Don't they have some kind of similar contraption to spin toy tops really fast, which also keeps them spinning for a long time?

12. Grescobia

Grescobia Senior Member

I would be in the same situation as McGolfer.

13. alantani

alantani Senior Member

Along with all the lube and bearing upgrades, it seems to me that the speed at which you spin the spool to begin with would have a direct impact on the length of time it spins on its own.

I have a mental image of you with something that looks like a pull-start cord for an outboard wrapped around the spool and giving it a yank as if you were trying to start a motor. Seems like that might give it enough energy to maintain the 5+ minute spin. :) Don't they have some kind of similar contraption to spin toy tops really fast, which also keeps them spinning for a long time?

:D :D :D :D :D dude, i'm sittin' there with a beer in one hand and the reel in the other! what ever i do, i have to spin this thing and not spill my beer!!!!!!! alan

14. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

:D :D :D :D :D dude, i'm sittin' there with a beer in one hand and the reel in the other! what ever i do, i have to spin this thing and not spill my beer!!!!!!! alan

There goes my theory:rolleyes:

15. shooter75

shooter75 Member

Full Ceramic bearing upgrade. $200 a bearing!!!!!

16. Fish'nFool

Fish'nFool Member

Come on Alan, I am dying here put down the beer so you can type and share how you got those results.

17. kraken33

kraken33 Senior Member

I have seen some pretty cool things done with superconducting magnets where they were used to suspend things. If you completely suspended the spool with magnets like that all that would be left in terms of friction would be from the air. I dont seen any liquid nitrogen/helium anywhere though which puts a lot of holes in my theory. :(

18. stresst

stresst Senior Member

??? Ok ALan what did you do?? We want to know! LOL

19. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

TLD- 30 2sp. Tiburon frame. opened sealed brg's removed grease, replaced w/ corrosionX.
    other than that, I have no clue.maybe very careful line winding onto the Intergalctic Unobtanium spool floating on a
    magnetic, anti-gravity spool shaft lubed with Cal's?

Hey, I've had a few Beers, myself!!!::cool:

20. alantani

alantani Senior Member

it's that new lube that i'm using......

so here's what i did with the reel. the frame is a topless tiburon frame. the handle is a 6/0 kolekar. the pressure plate bearing and right side plate bearing were opened up, packed with grease, reshielded and reinstalled, the belleville stack was switched out from "()()" to "((())" to increase the drag range and the original drag pressure plate was shimmed. i do this to all of the tld 20 and 30 two speeds. the handle up grade is great and the increased drag range is usually something you can't take full advantage of anyway, but none of these things affect freespool time. the upgrade took me 1 hour, start to finish.

to get these extreme freespool times, i cleaned out the spool bearings with carb cleaner and compressed air, then lubed them with xtreme reel +. normally i would then "blue print" the reel by installing a bearing sleeve cut from brass tubing. instead in found a washer from daiwa (part #F94-7102) and used it to shim the spool. i'll have to redo the tutorial.

the take home message is this.... the aftermarket frame is optional. if you're going to fish this reel with 60# mono and a topshot of 18#'s (30%), then it is not needed. personally, i really like the aftermarket frames and there is virtually no change in weight. the $20 aftermarket pressure plate is also not needed. shimming it with a $1 metal washer or 3 layers of masking tape keep it trued up. changing the belleville stack from "()()" to "((())" will increase the drag range to at least 24#'s at strike for an additional 30 cents. and last are the spool bearings. if you clean them out and lube with this new teflon lube, you don't need fancy ceramic bearings. that's right, regular, old fashioned abec 5 stainless steel bearings did this.

regarding this specific reel, it was upgraded with the frame and handle because that's just what the owner wanted. hey, it's a fishing reel! it doesn't always have to make sense!