360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take a stab at it yesterday, despit the gloomy forecast of high winds and big seas, it seemed right and we were rewarded with a nice day after the winds switcvhed and laid down abit. We had to be very careful on the way out, dealing with cresting tops from the still brisk northerlies, but by the time we made it the 20 miles or so, the waves had spread out enough between the 6 footers to allow us to drift with it and blind cast and jig. We had tons of birds up all morning and afternoon, but they were spread out over vast stretches of water. The full moon was also working against us, but we worked hard and got rewarded with plenty of action. It was alot easier knowing Capt. Rich from Black Rose and crew(J. Flores) were out there with us, makes it much safer than going it alone in these kinds of conditions late in the year.

We had numerous boils, slashes, and near misses on the surface stuff, and a few quality hits on jigs, but never got any hooks in these fish....not so for one nice fat bluefin for the dinner table. Fish was hooked on what else...a TATTOO SEA PUP in the new color changing olive pattern paint. MIke from Tattoo is now selling these with heavily upgraded hooks and split rings, making it even more deasdly than it already was, and more effective at keeping the bigger fish buttoned under heavy drag.

Nicola hooked the fish on his very first cast, then due to a bad back passed off to Tom, who went toe to toe with this brute, and save for the very end when we had it circling, fought his very first tuna on spinning gear. He passed off near the end game as we all wanted this fish in the boat, and the gaff was slid under the chin and hauled aboard.

Set up used was an OTI Tuna Sniper 60-80, Van Staal VS 250, OTI 80 pound braid, and a 100# "Capt. Dom" wind on leader.

The seas calmed quite nicely in the afternoon, spreading way out and although still in the 6 foot range, made for an amazingly calm and smooth ride back to the dock at sunset. Still lotsd of fish as we had fish painted on the machine all day long, just down deep and not very receptive to any offerings. Full moon bites are always strange, and this one was no exception. We waited out till the very end of the day to see if they would rise and feed, but it never happened despite the thousands of fish obviously still in the vicinity.

Attachments

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dom: Great job getting out ! What's a "Capt Dom" wind-on?

A "no-name" brand wind on leader.....had to give myself a little plug is all really, LOL:cool: Not commercially available currently:p

Leader is made from JB hollow Core, 100 Momoi or Jinkai mono, with a traditional double walled serve and whipping.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Dom, glad Nicola could taste bluefin popping in Cape Cod. :)
I have been exchanging emails with Nicola for years and I finally can meet him in person tomorrow.
Wether looks good. But I usually have better fishing with a little wind. :)
See you tomorrow.

Wednesday 11/4
Morning
Windy conditions with choppy seas. Small craft advisory. Moderate long period swell.
Seas: ESE 2.1 meters at 11 sec.
Winds: NW 16 to 22 knots
Afternoon
Light winds with a slight chop. Small long period swell.
Seas: ESE 1.7 meters at 11 seconds
Winds: NW 9 to 13 knots
Thursday 11/5
Morning
Light winds with a slight chop. Small short period wind waves.
Seas: ESE 0.7 meters at 10 seconds
Winds: SSE 8 to 11 knots
Afternoon
Light winds with a slight chop. Small short period wind waves.
Seas: ESE 0.8 meters at 10 sec.
Winds: E 10 to 13 knots

·
147 Posts
Man, do you have any room on that boat tomorrow?? :D You have been spot on for the whole month of October even on what you call a bad day!! Hope to see you in the afternoon.

·
1,211 Posts
Nice work as usual Dom!! I will be out tomorrow with Capt Curt on the Relentless and should see you out there :)

·
1,482 Posts
Hey Capt. Dom, where do you get your Tattoo's? i have been wanting to purchase some but i dont have any dealers down here. I would happily support whoever you use.

thanks for the info
Aaron

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Capt. Dom, where do you get your Tattoo's? i have been wanting to purchase some but i dont have any dealers down here. I would happily support whoever you use.

thanks for the info
Aaron

I live a stone's throw from where they are made, so tough for me to say:D

PM tattoo's tackle on this site, he will take good care of you.

·
1,482 Posts
I live a stone's throw from where they are made, so tough for me to say:D

PM tattoo's tackle on this site, he will take good care of you.

appreciate it. PM sent his way.

just so you know, i am planning a trip for next october to be up there for Tuna for like two weeks+. you and i are gonna do some fishing if its ok with you! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts