5 29/30 Capt John 36 hour

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Brewgod, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Brewgod

Brewgod Junior member

(also posted under Capt John partyboat thread...)

I headed to G-town Monday in some awful murky rain that started in Livingston, and was getting a little concerned about the weather, though the offshore prognostication sounded promising. Shouldn't have worried. Leaving the harbor we had a few swells, but nothing over roller 4's and a long period, when we hit blue water it setteled even further, 2's mostly, and by wednesday was in serious danger of slicking off.
    Started off Snapper fishing, aand a few nice ones were comming aboard, but for some reason I couldn't buy a bite from a legal one. Made several stops with mostly reds witha few b-liners and mangroves thrown into the mix, lots of Triggers, a couple of small Dusky's and the occasional marauding school of chicken dolphin just to spice things up.
    We finally got the word fron Johnny to roll 'em up, we're headed to Boomvang. Allright! Yellowfin country! We got there a bit after dark and start jigging and the action was, ummm, slow. Realize there is a nearly full moon, and not a cloud in sight. Daammm. Stayed on the drift until midnight or thereabouts with little to show but a few small blackfin, and that from some excellent and experienced tuna heads on the boat (not just the newbies).
    By this time Johnny's a little frustrated and decides to run to Tequila, where we see about the same results, very scattered tuna, some smallish AJ's and Lee Bull pulls up a 61/2', 42 lb King Snake eel. You just think hardheads are slimy...
    We stay tied up to Tequila and Lee, myself and Deckhand Kenny decide to do some deep drops from the front of the boat, as we know a couple of large grouper have come from there tis year. Man it sucks to get cut off at 800 feet. After a couple of hours, I toddled off to catch a few ZZ's, and the next thing I know the head deckie is hollering down the hatch for his sleeping deckies to get up and give him a hand. Outside, a large school of Rainbow Runners was putting the whoop on a bunch of light tackle. that lasted until we got run, off our mooring by a workboat, but it was outrageously fun while it lasted...
    Made a couple of stops on the way in and the last one we were on was absolutely covered up with b-liners and Rob out of Lone Oak was putting the hurt on some BIG ones, I mean 5-6 pounders. Everyone filled their limit of snaps I think, except for that one guy I only saw come out of the bunk once in 36 hours, lots of B-liners, one nice Gag grouper(I think) and about a 25 -28 pound king.
    All in all, a fun trip with some fish in the cooler. No, we didn't slay huge numbers of tuna (18 for the boat) but sometimes fishing is like that...

2. papio

papio Senior Member

The full moon probably scattered the tuna. I never schedule a tuna trip on a full moon.....never done any good when it's smiling full. Hope u have better luck on the next one.

3. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

anyone gotta website so i can check the moon phase for july 10?

4. papio

papio Senior Member

Full moon July 29. You should be okay. Determination and skill level helps a bunch too. Good luck.

5. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Full moon July 29. You should be okay. Determination and skill level helps a bunch too. Good luck.
    3.2 days before new moon, thanks alottt for that link, hopefully my gramps will score some big yfts. hes really excited, brags to his old geriatrics all day long up in beaumont or so my grandma says:D