40hrs

Discussion in 'Reef fish' started by TeamOso, Jun 18, 2007.

1. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Im thinking about going on a 40hr on July 30. I went on one when there were shrimpers out there for BFT, but with the shrimpers not out there (correct me if they are out there) is the 40hr just an extended bottom fishing trip?
    Im just wondering if it would really be worth, I will proly still end up going but its going to be every paycheck Ive got since June1 to pay for this.

Kevin

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Kevin, the gulf shrimpers should be back in action by mid July(someone please correct me if I am wrong) so you should be after some BFT around the shrimpers and probably hit some botttom spots..

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

save your money, and go after shrimping season opens.

4. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

ooops i meant to say june 30.... i think

5. TOO

TOO Senior member

As of now, Gulf shrimp season opens on July 16th. By July 30th you should have a shot at tuna behind the shrimpers, but this is a head boat, you know.

DD, DSH or other?

6. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

its on DD's it would be before the shrimper season opens on the 16. I would potentially be going on 30 June.

7. Ross

Ross Member

I think I would wait as June 30 is the full moon and the shrimpers won't be out yet.

Look at a trip at the end of July or the first of August to get a good shot at finding Tuna behind the shrimpers.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

last year the second week of July we chartered a boat that ran us about 70 miles off POC and we found teh shrimp boats and apparently every type of fish. Amazing trip my son and I had about 20 BFT, Ling, Kings, BIg sharks. Fun way to fish

Up in the Northeast around September we do the same thing except the fish are all 100-200lb Bluefin Tunas. Throw a piece of chum with a big circle in it behind that trawler and HOOK UP zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz