40 hr on the jackie v

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by fishologist, Feb 2, 2009.

1. fishologist

fishologist Member

man where do i start we boarded the boat at 1000 pm on friday night to head out to the gardens for some hoos, well we made it out to fredricks rocks about 10 miles away and the sounder lights up from top to bottom with fish so we start draggin our way to the gardens, we picked up a blackfin and some baracuda. nothing hapening at the gardens so we went after what mc saltwater tackle is known for big aj and grouper. the first rig we pulled up to had a couple of hundred sharks circling it, it was pretty cool so i put on some shark leaders and the guys had some fun fighting those sharks, we went to the next rig and first drop on a reef donkey leader and bam a 50 lb aj hits the deck, put on some grouper leaders and a yellow edge grouper hits the deck, next a very nice gag meets the gatf ,a scamp, then a yellow mouth grouper, next a marbled grouper, then a warsaw, and end with some rock hinds, those mc saltwater special grouper rods were awesome they have plenty of backbone to pull away form those rigs in 400 ft of water ,we head to another rig and start catching huge snapper one right after the other, so we stuck them and released them back in the water and moved because of the thick snapper, at the next rig we boxed a nice ling , and i got schooled by a horse eye jack, man that thing was huge and fought like a mule. so now as everyone knows it is glass calm out there so we took a vote and headed for gunnison. the weather pick up a little on the way out but not bad, we get there before dark and put out a spread and only get a blackfin. so after ightfall we started jigging and the blackfin were thick, very thick. we started chunkin but nothing, we chunked for several hours, and not a single yft. so we decided we beter fill the box we brought in over 100 to the boat, kept 45 of the bigest. we ran out of room for fish, so we headed in. man what a awesome day, well couple of days.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      102.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      86 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      83.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      84.2 KB
      Views:
  2. rhale

rhale Senior Member

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Very nice trip! Sorry the YFT were not at Gunninson... Thats strange. I would have expected a good bite with the moon being so close to new.

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I heard the YF bite at Hoover was fairly good Sat night. They were on top at sunset. The bite turned off and then came to life again around 2am.

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

nice! i wish the water was that calm anytime i go out.

6. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

Nice trip!! Great report!!

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

8. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Look like there was plenty of Blackies though! Can't wait to get out!!

9. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

Where is the Jackie V out of and do you have the website? How many people can go on the boat? Thanks nice catch Steve

10. fishologist

fishologist Member

11. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member