360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL,
I am curious about few things that you bring to “longer” trips other than the brand/size of terminal tackle, brand/poundage of braided line&Flouro leader, type of length/action rods…. list goes on LOL.

If you only fish jigs (Speed/Slow jig) do you bring:

- spare braid to splice (using hollow braid in between) and fill back up the reel after a 100-200 yards break off from the 300 yards you had? or you just bring extra reel for it instead of wasting time splicing?

- how many sets of assists hooks you bring and you bring extra assist line/hooks so you can make more if needed to?

Reason I am curious …. I been on two 45hours trip on the same week and one trip I only used 4 jigs in total and no other damage , caught 30 AJs and …..
…. few days later 2nd trip I broke off in between the fight (twice!) 100+ yards gone swimming. That 2 reels no longer good for the rest of the trip with line that low on the spool. Lose 18 jigs or so (lose count) & running low of premade assist hooks…. only caught 3 fish:(

Let’s hear your preparation(y)

·
2,186 Posts
- spare braid to splice (using hollow braid in between) and fill back up the reel after a 100-200 yards break off from the 300 yards you had? or you just bring extra reel for it instead of wasting time splicing
Splicing to top off a reel IMO depends on how much line the reel holds full spool, depth of the water and size of the fish being caught and if you are in a hot biter or a lull. I carry a backup set ups for stick/popping as well as a spool of line since I use HC braid and I could splice and top off a reel in about five minutes if needed. Conventional reels tend to hold a lot more line than spinning reels so i don't have much concern there but I bring a back up as well. If the space is available I'll bring the three back ups just in case but more than likely I'll save someone else's day of fishing by letting them use one of my backs up if they didn't come prepared.

Fishing in 250-300 feet of water with a couple hundred yards on the reel shouldn't be a problem because you can chase the fish if need be. Fishing the deep rigs or drill ships I wouldn't use a spinning set up that didn't have a full spool because you never know what you're going to bow up on unless all that's being caught are smaller fish (<#30).

I tend to bring more tackle than I think is necessary because one trip with four of us fishing we lost a little over 100 jigs, sharks, toothy critters and break offs. So tend to prepare for worst case scenario. Same thing with assist hooks, I bring a bag of assorted spares for replacements. Barracuda, Wahoo will snip a hook off in a second and depending on the hook set so will the little teeth of YFT especially on the thinner assist cords (slow jigging assists).

Bottom line is that I would rather be over prepared and be the guy that gives or lends people gear that be the guy trying to borrow or buy from someone else so I can continue to fish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts