4.9 or 5.7 gear ratio?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by DEA, Jan 28, 2009.

1. DEA

DEA Member

So I've narrowed down what I want, brand wise, for my first venture into big water popping.

But the reel is offered in both 4.9 or 5.7, so which ratio would you suggest and why?

Thanks!

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

I will go with 5.7 for fast retrieve, 4.9 gear ratio will work just as well but you have to crank faster.

The question is, how often do you have to crank fast for yft popping?
    YFT will often hit non moving popper. JMO

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i prefer between 4:1 and 5:1 rather than higher, all else being constant. problem is....all else normally isnt constant ;)

4. gman

gman Senior Member

for popping go with the higher ratio, for jigging lower

5. DEA

DEA Member

Thanks fellas!

I think it's easier to crank slower than to crank faster but that's just from my experience with freshwater fishing.

So far 2 votes for hi speed, and 1 on the fence....but you're right Bret ain't nothing constant.

Just looking for some balance between power and speed.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah i mean i agree with glenn and tj. but, i have a 10000fa and use it for both jigging and popping. no complaints, have landed big fish with it. if i had to pick between a 20000 and 10000 for jigging i'd pick the lower-geared 20000, but i got the 10000 for a good price so thats what i went with.

7. gman

gman Senior Member

The bigger difference is trying to jig with a higher geared reel. God bless anyone who can jig with a stella 18000 because i cant and I'm in good shape.

The higher gears were meant to gain as much line as fast as possable to keep your swimbait, stickbait or popper moving

8. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Like everybody else... I'd definitely go high speedi IF it's a dedicated popping/fly-lining/swim bait reel... difference here is your typically cranking slack line after pop/jerk and you can get it back much quicker with the faster reel.

If you're going to jig and pop I'd go low gear and just put the slower ratio out of your mind. Nothing worse than not having that extra torque when you're working heavy jigs.

9. DEA

DEA Member

I hear ya fellas...nope this is a dedicated popping reel for sure.

10. gman

gman Senior Member

only one choice then .... higher gear

11. DEA

DEA Member

Gotcha.....5.7 it is...

Here comes the tackle monkey...!

12. gman

gman Senior Member

tight lines with it

13. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I guess I am always the different one, I like the PG for everything. I Dont mind cranking faster Since I know I will have better power once the fish is caught.

d-a

14. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Same here d-a...

DEA - What reel is it?

15. DEA

DEA Member

d-a and Ragman, I was thinking that too for a bit.

But I finally decided on the higher speed on the premise that I would be working the popper more frequently than working on a fish. But when hooked up, I would give up the cranking power due to the higher gear ratio.

Now does 5" of extra line movement really matter when going the high speed versus gaining some more cranking power at low speed?

It's a game of inches, right? LOL!

Ragman, the reel is Saltiga 4500H, starting off small then working up

16. rhale

rhale Senior Member

The bigger difference is trying to jig with a higher geared reel. God bless anyone who can jig with a stella 18000 because i cant and I'm in good shape.

The higher gears were meant to gain as much line as fast as possable to keep your swimbait, stickbait or popper moving

I always jig with either my Stella 10000 FA or Accurate B2 870 and both have a 6.0:1 gear ratio.... When I have tried to use slower reels for jigging it feels like I am not picking up all the slack from the upstroke. I agree that a slower ratio is much better for fighting fish but I dont feel like I am ripping the jig through the water column fast enough with the slower reels to intice as many strikes.
    Its obvious from seeing all the fish that yall catch that the slower ratio works just fine. Maybe I need to try it again but with shorter strokes so I am able to crank in the slack with each stroke.

Suggestions ???

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

rhale - i too jig with my 10k. its fine.....would i prefer a slower ratio? yes. am i about to go buy a new stella to get it? no.

even with the higher ratio the stella 10k has good cranking power. for conventionals i really prefer 4-5:1. the ocea 4000p is 4:1 and its awesome and plenty fast IMO. the trinidad and ocea 4000/5000 are 4.9:1 which is the same as the saltiga 40/50. assuming the cranking power is similar between those reels, 4.9:1 is a good ratio as well, the saltiga has great cranking power.