36 tomeny trip

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by kidflex, May 12, 2008.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

the 36 hr trip out port fourchon on may 10-11 was a sucess. me and toneyc met jim, ichiban, and fong at the boat around 3pm. we were waiting on the rest of the crew to show up from various places. there were some good ole texas boys, some outlaws from georgia, and this louisiana native to make up this motley crew.
    [​IMG]
    left to right- jim(crazyjigr), anthony, snappergeorge. top-neil, bellyups, toneyc, fong,kidflex, gabriel,dustin, freddy(ichiban).frank(workin) is hiding in the back.
    we trolled on the way out and got 2 wahoo in the boat, which was later thrown on the grill. we started off fishing for aj's at some rigs. there were plenty for all. here's one of my better aj's caught on my lucky 420gram red oti jitterbel jig.
    [​IMG]
    fong with an aj
    [​IMG]
    The next rig was loaded with monster amberjacks. I believe all of us got handled by some big aj's. I lost 5-6 aj's in a row, couldnt move them fast enough, even with the boat pulling away from the rig when hooked up. this was starting to get expensive! the bite slowed down as we tied off to the down current side of the rig as we waited to go to the tuna grounds.
    After awhile we headed to some floating rigs to try our luck with tuna. by this time the wind started blowin 25 knots and made for a "sporty" adventure.
    the blackfins showed up first, which were caught on jigs.later that night some smaller yellowfins were coming to the boat. bellyups throws a subsurface lure and takes a 100+ lber yf in vert short order. glad you got to break in your new stella.
    [​IMG]
    toneyC throws a pink and purple dil*o and hooks into a very nice yf which tested his angling skills.
    [​IMG]
    congrats on a very nice catch my friend.
    [​IMG]
    now it was my turn. i was throwing a tuna hunter popper, and suddenly the water came alive as this yf hit and thrashed around on top for a little while before he staightened the hook. i soon tied another tuna hunter and started casting, wasnt long before i get hooked again. took all of 3-4mins to get him in. the oti 80 is a very powerful rod.
    [​IMG]
    There were yf's chasing flying fish 10 feet from the boat. more yf's were boated, i ended up taking a nap. during the night frank(workin) hooks into a monster yf that made him do a gut check. i woke up three times and thought he had another fish on. ended up being the same fish, i dont know exactly how long he fought it for but it was better than 2 hrs, definitely the meanest tuna of the trip.hopefully one u guys has a pic of that. i woke up early morning to catch the end of what was apparently a very hot tuna bite. there were yf's jumpin everywhere like schools of porpoises. first cast hook into this yf. again only taking 3 min to land on the oti 80. my fish were not as angry as the other ones.
    [​IMG]
    It is hard to believe with all of the hard core jigging and popping guys on the boat that we slept through the hottest tuna bite of the year according to capt tomeny. we headed back to fourchon making a couple of stops at some rigs. more aj's, 1 grouper, and sharks were caught on jigs. heres toneyc with another aj.
    [​IMG]
    i would like to thank jim for setting up this trip. capt tomeny for putting us on fish.this was a great fishing experience with a great bunch of gentlemen that i would fish with any day of the week. It was nice meeting all of you. post pics and fill in what i left out. brian

2. gman

gman Senior Member

Man I am sincerely jealous, great trip report and awesome shots. Congrats on some sweet looking fish

3. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Awesome report and pics!!! Man, sounds like the YFT bite is really going off down in LA!

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

im such an ass.......couldve made that trip!!!!!

nice report...great tuna

5. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Excellent report Brian!!! It was great meeting and fishing with you and everyone else on this trip!

6. gman

gman Senior Member

im such an ass.......couldve made that trip!!!!!

nice report...great tuna

You ... I dropped off it, now Im kicking myself

7. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Conditions turned out to be perfect for a hot tuna bite a stiff wind, strong current, heavy cloud cover and lots of poor little flyers wanting to jump in the boat with us. If we had all been out on the deck and not sleeping it would have been an absolute slaughter.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

were any tuna caught on jigs, or were they all on topwaters?

9. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Top water action was as good as it get's and was the hot ticket,I saw some awsome blow ups it seemed like some of the poppers did not even land before getting atacked by YF, the jigging was real good too but acounted for mostly BF

10. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

the jigging was real good too but acounted for mostly BF
    Hey that still counts! :p

11. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Great report and we all are envious. A couple of quick questions:

First, did Frank land the big fish he fought for so long? And what was its approximate weight?

Second, what kind of drag were you fishing when the Tuna Hunter's hooks straightened? Were they the stock hooks or had you traded them out?

Thanks again for a great report.

Russ

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If we had all been out on the deck and not sleeping it would have been an absolute slaughter.
    Someone slept during hot bites ? :)

13. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Someone slept during hot bites ? :)
    Yep!!
    Over half the crew

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Yep!!
    Over half the crew
    I love to fish with them. :)

15. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

The seas were pretty rough. I think that wore some fishermen out.

I slept after I caught my good sized YFT and then awoke for the last 3 hours of the night bite. I think I casted 4-5 times over that three hours, catching one yellowfin, one blackfin, losing one smaller YFT at the boat, and fighting another for over a hour.

16. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Bellyups,
    You were a fishing machine!
    I was glad to see you broke that new stella in right to bad the OTI did survive the beating.

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

You ... I dropped off it, now Im kicking myself

me 3 lol.

18. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

19. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

frank did finally land the fish. i dont know the weight but easily over 100 lbs. Here is a pic ot the tuna hunter popper. it had the stock vmc treble hooks. the fish damn near pulled the whole assembly out of the wood. i was using 18-20 lbs of drag on 65lb. izor braid
    [​IMG]

20. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

What a great trip!
    Thanks for the pics....looks like Capt. Tomeny is going to have a busy season.