36 hr tuna trip out of port aransas

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by lucas_shane, Feb 10, 2009.

1. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

we are planning a 36 hr trip out of port aransas. i know we will be running out about 140 miles and wondering if anyone could tell me what rigs we will be fishing and HOW i should be fishing them.
    thanks
    luke

2. etan

etan Senior Member

They will be on the La Pesca out of Dolphin Docks and fishing Boom Vang, Nansen, or Hoover Diana.

3. shanker

shanker Senior Member

on a 36 Hour Dolphin Docks will only run 90nm to BoomVang on flat seas, otherwise they only go out to Falcon or so

4. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

on a 36 Hour Dolphin Docks will only run 90nm to BoomVang on flat seas, otherwise they only go out to Falcon or so
    nah i went on one last year, we steamed to voombang in 6footers

5. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

nancen, boomvang, falcon can anyone tell me the best way to produce tuna at any of these rigs? we will be down a day ahead of time and plan on catching a butt load of piggy perch to take with us. will this live bait be of any use? i have about a dozen 6 oz "tuna series diamond jigs" Jigs, Rigs and Stuff... will i need any heavier or lighter jigs. i dont have any poppers as i dont have a good casting reel. if i can come up with one by the sail date what is a couple good poppers i can pick up on the island. i am a "tuna virgin" and me and my group could use all the help you pros could offer!!!
    thanks
    luke

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Believe or not, but I've had blackfin tuna hit piggy perch on top water on every cast. You can definitely try that or speed jig using those diamond jigs for them. Once you bag those blackfins, cut them up in small chunks, bury a nice tuna hook inside and freeline the chunks out for the yellowfins. Alternatively, you can bring some sabiki and stop at various rigs on the way out to catch hardtail. YFT will hammer the 5-8 inch hardtails, just freeline them but keep an eye on them cause they are strong swimmers and can tangle you up if you don't pay attention to where they're going. Use a strong, but not too big hook so the hardtails can run around freely.

OTI Komodo poppers are excellent for Tuna, I would suggest you buy a couple instead of searching for them the last minute on the island:

360Tackle

Good luck!

7. etan

etan Senior Member

I've caught yellowfin on both the Komodo poppers and the OTI Goanna cruisers out there. ALso you can catch yellowfin on perch under a balloon. On iron the yellowfin are usually above or below the blackfin and prefer a slower presentation. Most things work if the fish are there. The main thing for yellowfin is put in the time. Most guys quit trying for yellowfin and start catching blackfin because there is more action. Also you can't catch them when you are asleep!

8. margarita mojo

margarita mojo Senior Member

You are right about putting the time in at the rail. My last trip out, I was throwing topwaters for about an hour with no luck, decided to get some action with the blackfin on a knife jig ( Glow Pink) and had a 107lb yellowfin hit on the first drop. There is always luck involved, right place, right time, right equipment etc, but you can't catch a fish sleeping. Don't ever give up, your next cast might be the big one. It's a good idea also to do some weight training on your arms before your trip, casting poppers and jigging will put the hurt on ya and then you hook into a nice one and the muscles start to burn.

Joe

9. lucas_shane

lucas_shane Member

the last few years have only resulted in a cpl hrs sleep each trip but they have only been 24 hrs but this one will only be a 36 and i am sure there will be a long boat ride out so i can catch a cpl hrs sleep then.
    man i cant wait. i love the sound of a singing reel !!
    was going thru our stuff and we have about 20 diamond jigs and 3 hex bar type jigs ( glow green) and two knife type jigs ( glow green ) headed to cabelas on sunday to see if i cant officially break the pocket book..lol
    kinda thinking on a good spin reel for casting the poppers and such.
    anyone ever done a 36 hr with Dolphin Docks ?

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

kinda thinking on a good spin reel for casting the poppers and such.

My advice is to not go cheap on your spinning gear for casting if you plan on using it for yellowfins. Do your research on here in the rod and reels section of this board to see what others are using and what's recommended for your budget type. I would not buy from cabelas because they are full priced retailer, it's better to order online or shop on ebay through paypal.

Good luck!

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

as far as sleeping goes, i sleep on the way in/out and if we have to travel at all at night. when its fishing time youve got to be out there

12. papio

papio Senior Member

DDocks change their fishing schedule? I'ts been awhile since I've been out on their boats but as far as I know a 36hr is NOT a TUNA trip, unless its a charter. The norm was 48hrs and less were general fishing/bottom fishing. The seas must be like glass and depending on the skippers mood, he might take the boat out to the floaters.

It could be that they do now go to tuna grounds on the 36hrs. I hope it does and the weather is great. Good luck to all.

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I went on a DD 36 hour and all we caught were kingfish, snapper, dog snapper, bee liner and I caught a ling. We rode out in 12 foot seas (rollers)
    I threw up from the seas and diesel fumes, then I proceeded to masacre all the kingfish with 80lb wire and diamond jig on my hots rod and stella.