340 lbs yellowfin on Avet LX ?

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by ksong, Jul 23, 2007.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I heard a 340 lbs yellowfin tuna was caught on Avet LX on the Pacifico out of Puerto Vallarta yesterday. The angler fought 3 1/2 hours to land the monster with LX filled with 60 lbs braided line/80 lbs fluoro carbon and Cape Fear rod rated to 40 lbs. :eek:
    Nothing surprised me anymore. :)

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

3. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

I heard a 340 lbs yellowfin tuna was caught on Avet LX on the Pacifico out of Puerto Vallarta yesterday. The angler fought 3 1/2 hours to land the monster with LX filled with 60 lbs braided line/80 lbs fluoro carbon and Cape Fear rod rated to 40 lbs. :eek:
    Nothing surprised me anymore. :)

Hi Kil, as long as you are on a drift, you can chase it and get vertical
    on the fish anything is possible. If your anchored its a different ball game.
    Thay catch huge marlins on 4lb-6lb test this way.

4. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Holy shyt ok so i had a few doubts about getting this reel but theya all went away mike w made me a good offer so lx and oti here i come

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Here is the picture.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

wtf is the world record yellowfin ? cause that thing is beasty

7. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

8. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

that is a ton of sashimi!

9. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

I heard a 340 lbs yellowfin tuna was caught on Avet LX on the Pacifico out of Puerto Vallarta yesterday. :)

What a great idea. I've never thought of welding hooks on the sideplates. That Avet would be a great tuna bait. He must have used one those candy colored ones. Jigging an Avet might turn into a new sport for me. Thanks for the tip!!!!!!!!:D

10. Bret

Bret Senior Member

What a great idea. I've never thought of welding hooks on the sideplates. That Avet would be a great tuna bait. He must have used one those candy colored ones. Jigging an Avet might turn into a new sport for me. Thanks for the tip!!!!!!!!:D

I dont care who you are.. thats funny!!!

11. Pope

Pope Senior Member

12. Pope

Pope Senior Member

wtf is the world record yellowfin ? cause that thing is beasty

398lbs

13. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

What a great catch.

14. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

That is a great catch!! Awesome!

Tom - DBG

15. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

398lbs

damn thats crazy i thought it was like low 300's thats nuts thanks

hell of a catch and whats up with the avet bashin gunsmoke ?

16. papio

papio Senior Member

Nice fish! Toooo much work though, 3hrs on a big fish is not so much fun. I'll stick with the 80-100lbs shibis and a bunch of blackfins. Still an awesome awesome catch

17. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

miracle catch! it's a miracle the reel didn't explode.

or the tuna died of old age.

18. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

hell of a catch and whats up with the avet bashin gunsmoke ?

A few years ago, I bought four Avets. :) All four reels broke the first trip. :mad: Pinion gears and gear shafts shattered. I tossed two overboard to remind me not to buy crap again. :D I beat the other two with a sledge hammer and then burned them in a fire pit. If anyone brings one on my boat now, I either toss them in the water, or keep them for sinkers.:cool: It's up to the owner. Most choose to be used as a sinker.

I might add that Avet's aren't the only reels that see the bottom on the GOM.:D

19. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

'Smoke: Were those reels 'Sips? :)

Russ

20. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

'Smoke: Were those reels 'Sips? :)

Russ

No, I bought them myself.:mad: I have a few Sip friends. One of my best friends is a Sip. He knows my rules. I do something very special to people who dare walk on my boat wearing something with a horn on it. It's very funny to me, but most that get the treatment don't think it is very humorous.
    I might add that it happens before a line gets wet. I figure its better to teach someone a lesson early in the day. I always give them the option of jumping overboard and swimming to port.

I don't mind a little harassment, but I also like to dish it out if provoked. Everybody has their favorite college. That's what makes college athletics fun.
    I think it's a good idea to support your team and school no matter which one you choose. I gather Russ that you are a TU fan. That's fine, as long as I don't have to hear about it for an extended amount of time.

21. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Gunsmoke: Couldn't agree more. I own a portion of a fairly nice cabin on Matagorda Peninsula. The guy who made it happen is an Aggie and a great friend. We raced the Texas Water Safari, a canoe race a couple of times and I would rather have him cover my back than most of my 'Horn buddies, I have to say. In the 'nineties, he was intolerable. Now I piss him off by not giving it back in kind. Fans of all stripes can be truly obnoxious, but I have to admit, 'Horns can be among the worst. I went to the Sugar Bowl against Va Tech back in the 'nineties--the point at which the speed of the game was changing and John Mackovic wasn't getting it. My one consolation after the loss was watching the old UT fatcats climbing into their limousines, drunk as skunks.

Russ