337 lbs bleufin on a popper today !!!

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Jun 30, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I just got a phone call from Capt Dom that they landed 337 lbs bluefin on a popper today. All I know is Hot's Gipong 77XH rod was used. More information will be followed.
    It is very weird I discussed with a few fishermen today that Hots Gipong 77XH or 77XXH could be good popping rods for big bluefin in Cape Cod. :)

2. gman

gman Senior Member

did they actually weigh it? Where did you get the weight from? there is a picture of it on vertical jigging i heard the fork was 78

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I got to play with my friend's Hot's Gipang last month and was pleasantly surprised at how increadibly light the rod was. The tip was also soft enough for working 150g poppers very easily and the rod itself was stiff enough to really beat up the tunas. All in all, an excellent rod. I missed my chance to pick one up from APS when they had an incredible sale on it last month... :mad:

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Yes, 337 lbs is official weight.
    Fork length is 80 7/8 inches and girt length is 53.5 inches.
    It took 1 hour 41 minutes to land.

5. jig

jig Senior Member

I guess that ends his frustration streak. Awsome catch.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I asked Dom to check whether my Shibuki was in the mouth. :)

7. gman

gman Senior Member

That would be funny maybe it has Sami's Ocea as well ;). Brilliant fish based on the picture and length 5 thought it would go 285 but 337 is absolutely a pig, that is insane.

Congrats Adrian, Alex and Dom. Fish of a life time but Adrian has a couple of them ;)

8. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Awesome fish, congrats to the guys. The Gipang 79XH is a great rod, I had the pleasure of hooking one up last season in the cape.

9. AndyP

AndyP Member

Incredible achievement Capt. Dom! So that's why you did not answer a bit earlier. Funny, but I had a vibe that you might have been on a fish. See you at 4:00 a.m. Wed.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Orion Bigfoot was the lucky lure. It could be any lure as Dom said he saw about 15 giant in 300 - 500 lbs came up the surface around the boat.
    He just missed on his Sluggo before Andian had the fish.

11. gman

gman Senior Member

Some details ...

The fish was caught on an Orion Stickbait, is made by a famous French angler Eric Le Guyader. It is a 140g stickbait and is sold by APS and is the same one several tuna were landed with this season. very odd looking lure

Once again congrats Adrian, Dom and Alex

12. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

I have a brand new Hots Super Popping Rod GIPANG 77XXXH PE 8 - 12 for trade for a mint or new popping rod with a PE 6-8. It's a very strong and light rod....It's a very good rod for giant blue fins and GT.

13. Dude-

Dude- Junior member

I believe the fish was weighted.

The Gipang is a great rod. I hooked up to a nice size tuna last season and i was real happy with it.

14. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I was out fishing today. Good day but nothing close to 337 lbs. I heard Dom on the radio at the start and end of the fight. They had a tough battle from the sound of it.

The guy (Capt. Dom) is good, for the six hours I was out, it was wall to wall fog all over Cape Cod Bay. He does know how to find the big ones!

PF

15. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

that is awesome!!! Congrats!!

16. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Congrats to the angler. That's an incredible catch.

Is it still cool up east?
    Fog?
    You mean the water temp and the air temp are the same. That's nuts. It was 104 here yesterday. 13 days over 100 degrees thus far in June. Sweat city. It would be very difficult for one guy to stand up in this heat with 25#s of drag for 1 hour and 45 Minutes fighting a fish.

Here's a pic of me and a buddy at 9:30AM last weekend. We usually don't start drinking beer until around noon. The beer started popping at 8:45AM as we had already run out of water and Gatorade.:eek:

Attached Files:

17. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Awesome catch, can't wait to see pics!

18. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Congrats to the angler. That's an incredible catch.

Is it still cool up east?
    Fog?
    You mean the water temp and the air temp are the same. That's nuts. It was 104 here yesterday. 13 days over 100 degrees thus far in June. Sweat city. It would be very difficult for one guy to stand up in this heat with 25#s of drag for 1 hour and 45 Minutes fighting a fish.

Here's a pic of me and a buddy at 9:30AM last weekend. We usually don't start drinking beer until around noon. The beer started popping at 8:45AM as we had already run out of water and Gatorade.:eek:

My brother in-law from just came up from College Station. They're wearing parkas ... ;)

I had jeans, overalls, sweatshirt, shirt, long undershirt and boots on when I went out this morning.

19. gman

gman Senior Member

Just spoke to Adrian & Dom about the fight they had. It should be great reading

20. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --