312 pound bigeye tuna

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by capitanmarcos, Mar 29, 2007.

1. capitanmarcos

capitanmarcos Guest

John had his regular tuna killing client day before yesterday and they caught this 312 pound bigeye. Took four and a half hours on a Penn International 16. Nice catch.

Attached Files:

2. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

how in the hell did they get that beast in the boat? where was this fish when we were there? great catch. marc ask john how it was caught and let us know. by the way did you ever install that gps fishfinder that i sent down?...rick

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Dang, that thing is a hoss.. I bet that was a hell of a tussle on a 16..
    So I guess you will be canning some tuna!!!

4. capitanmarcos

capitanmarcos Guest

Hey Rick
    He (it was a male) ate a threadfin herring on the first drop. Circle hook did its job and the batle began. Ray said it almost spooled them on the first run straight down. Got past the spectrum and into the mono backing (only 50# mono). It died about four hours into the fight and Ray worked him to the surface.
    P.S. Mucho gracias for the depthfinder. I'm still trying to figure how to work all the features.

5. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Thats one hell of a fish. Was it one guy the whole time.

6. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

captainmarcos.. sometimes the company that made the unit will have simulators on thier website you can download and learn how to use all the features. I know Lowrance does.

7. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Not like I'm a pro fishID-guy, but those are the longest sickles I've ever seen on a bigeye.
    Congrats on a great catch
    -B

8. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Not like I'm a pro fishID-guy, but those are the longest sickles I've ever seen on a bigeye.
    Congrats on a great catch
    -B

They are pretty meticulous about their fish id... The only real way to tell the difference between a bigeye and a yft is by checking the liver.. a bigeye will have striations along it and the yft will have none.

9. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

That is a beautiful Bigeye.

10. capitanmarcos

capitanmarcos Guest

Also the left lobe on the liver will be longer than the right lobe on a yellowfin. This one had striations and the right and left lobe were the same length.