30wlrsa capacity

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Tunakid, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Tunakid

Tunakid Guest

Hi guys as you may have heard i just got a new ti30wlrsa and i need to know what to spool it with. i was thinking 130 hollow with a hi test 60# topshot(breaks at 104) or 80 hollow with hi test 50 (breaks at 84). I would use bekley hollow which is 33 percent thinner that izor or JB so i would like to know the capacity of the 30 with izor or jb so i can plan on a longer topshot with berkley. Also the connection from the spectra to the mono has to flow through 50-80 class rollers.once again thanks for the help.

2. Pope

Pope Senior Member

You better be off for President's Day TunaKid! I would go 80 to 60. Knot stregnth is never that high. I am not the person to be suggesting knots. However, I like the bimini/nail combo.

3. Tunakid

Tunakid Guest

Do I need to use those knots with hollow just wondering? I tought you slid the mono into the spectra and crimped it.

4. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Are you really a kid?

5. etan

etan Senior Member

Most of the longrange fishermen are going to all spectra with just short topshots. Using loop to loop connections they can switch quickly from say 60# to 100#. Maybe using the 100# for Aj and 60# for line shy yellowfin. With loop to loop you have a 100% connection and no knot problem. Some of the more advanced longrangers even splice higher test spectra, say 200# on the end of their base spectra. The heavy spectra acts as a windon to allow them to put more pressure on the fish near the boat. Loop to loop gives you many more options. These are some things you might want to consider before you make your decisions.

6. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Are you really a kid?

I'll be darn if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.

7. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

For reels that size, I set them up like this:

Backing of solid 80lb spectra 500-750 yrds, your mileage may vary.

This leaves room for 130-150yds of 130 hollowcore spectra (L2L to the 80) and a short <50 foot topshot. Windons can be loop to loop or direct splice (knot clearance def. not a problem).

You have plenty of line for anything you want to pull on in the GOM and the 130 on top lets you put the wood to reef donkeys if that's your thing. You can also hammer down on tuna in the death spiral near the boat.

8. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

I'll be darn if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.
    I guess your darned, just wondering, cuz if hes my age, I sure have alot of catching up to do:D
    That would be cool if there is another kid my age round here

9. Tunakid

Tunakid Guest

Yeah Oso i'm 14 and new to offsore fishing which is why im so confused about my tackle

10. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Yeah Oso i'm 14 and new to offsore fishing which is why im so confused about my tackle
    Wow, whered you get the funds for a reel like that?
    Does your old man fish?

11. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

6' and 200 pounds... damn TunaKid- what the hell do you eaT!?!

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Pie, and lot's of it.

Attached Files:

13. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i eat a lot of pie too.. but I never get full!!!!

14. Tunakid

Tunakid Guest

Ive been saving for a little while because my dad's friend fishes alot and wanted me to buy some tackle to fish with him offshore and in stuff like the Big Blue Challenge and the Cape May shark Tournament.And to answer that people in my family are exceedingly tall and i do alot of lifting and stuff in my free time because i so the U.S, open of mountain biking in mountain creek every year

15. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Ive been saving for a little while because my dad's friend fishes alot and wanted me to buy some tackle to fish with him offshore and in stuff like the Big Blue Challenge and the Cape May shark Tournament.And to answer that people in my family are exceedingly tall and i do alot of lifting and stuff in my free time because i so the U.S, open of mountain biking in mountain creek every year
    Whatd you do to save up?

16. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Uh, Oso, I know you weren't asking that question of an old fart like me, and were seeking the more reliable information available from Tunakid.

Having said that, I'm going to venture a really far out, radical answer: When you get your hands on money, don't spend it. :)

17. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Uh, Oso, I know you weren't asking that question of an old fart like me, and were seeking the more reliable information available from Tunakid.

Having said that, I'm going to venture a really far out, radical answer: When you get your hands on money, don't spend it. :)
    Lol, if only it were that easy to not spend it:D

18. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Tuna Kid

I spooled 500yds of 80# Power Pro on my 30 LRSA and still had room for a 75 yd top shot of 50# Sufix Superior Mono. Most 80# spectra is around the same diameter as 20# Mono.

So if you used a larger bulk spool of 80# spectra you'd get close to 700 yds with a full spool and still allow room for a loop to loop mono/ fluro leader.

Bazz

19. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

I recently spooled my 30wrlsa i got 300 yards of 80lb tufline xp braid, and 250 yards of 80lb mono for a top shot.

A lot of people use JB hollow core, theres really no point except that its expensive. Tie double uni knot, mid knot, fg knot, or bimini whatever you want add a drop of zap glue or superglue and the knot wont fail.

20. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

I recently spooled my 30wrlsa i got 300 yards of 80lb tufline xp braid, and 250 yards of 80lb mono for a top shot.

A lot of people use JB hollow core, theres really no point except that its expensive. Tie double uni knot, mid knot, fg knot, or bimini whatever you want add a drop of zap glue or superglue and the knot wont fail.

Sorry but our reason for using jb hollow is to avoid knots and be able to change out topshots quickly.
    So there is a good reason for it.

21. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

change out topshots quickly? I can understand the knotless connection if you like to avoid casting knots, but a midknot or fg knot has such a low profile.

As for changing quickly, tying a uni to uni would take infinitely less time then getting out a rigging needle splicing it into the hollow core and doing everything else. Having to go back inside the cabin to change topshot doesnt sound like something quick to me