360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_1237 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!Dec 5-6 30hr floater trip on the New Buccanner

cost is $250 per person, we need 30 to sail. we will depart on sat at 7:00am and return at 1:00 sun afternoon

we will make the final decison on thurs according to weather and interest, so call soon! 409-763-5423

-Boggs

·
175 Posts
Id be very interested if theyd change their stance on overhand casting and hanging the yft out in the sun for the ride in from the jetties.... (admittedly this time of year its not as big a deal...) still may try it out at some point...

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We will run the boat at 19kts given thats not on the pins. As far as overhand casting, that is not an issue you can throw divers and poppers all night if you please.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also we keep the YFT down until we pass the coast guard station so they only hang for about 10-15min.

·
2,020 Posts
may have to check it out next year. baby due. i like the speed of the boat. slow boat rides irritate me :) I am with the general consensus and wouldnt want my sushi hangin up to dry, either.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Yeah, having fish hang at the dock for a picture is bad enough, especially during the summer.

Where does this boat generally go? Leaving from galveston I am guessing BV and Nancen?

·
781 Posts
Thats what has always amazed me when fishing in Texas, the complete disregard as to keeping the catch in primo shape.
They must think dried/soft fish is a good thing, out here your fish gets bled/iced within 15 minutes unless the crew is too busy gaffing during a wide open bite.

·
175 Posts
yeah the galveston boats are known for this kind of atrocity... Ive sat at the jetties and watched them pass by with 1/2 the boat lined with red snapper hanging in the 90 degree heat, thats a huge no-no. when I go on these trips, I explicitly ask for mine not be hung up, and they usually comply.

I sent boggsme a private message about some concerns like these that I have with doing a new buc tuna trip and havent heard back yet, im sure I will when they relogon to the site...

·
1,321 Posts
It's kinda funny to me that one of the biggest complaints against any of the PBs in Texas is the fish off ice issue. And yet even on our private charters (TBB, TFF, etc.) when we specifically ask it not be done, it still happens. And its all the boats, to various degrees. Nobody wants their catch out in the sun, so why do it? I know it make for good pics and marketing, but the downside makes for bad marketing, so that doesn't seem to make sense. I would rather see a few action pics or individual pics than the boat haul anyway.

·
781 Posts
Kind of to my point, we display them upon return but they have been iced. Meaning they are still very cold when displayed upon return.
I'm thinking maybe just keep one to eat and cutting the rest loose unless its a real pig. Dragging mushy fish home is a waste. Maybe I'm just picky but I rip/cut a gill to bleed my catch as soon as I cut/remove the hook, ANY FISH and cool it down. I guess we're just spoiled (G) out here.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stryper i think your misunderstanding how we handle fish on the New Buccaneer. the fish are tagged, bled and put in a chill box(half ice, half saltwater). we empty it every hour and they get packed in an ice vat. the tuna stay on ice until we hang them for 10min then the go back on ice at the dock.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea on day trips the fish sit on stringers by your spot until the ride in(i do not agree with this at all but theres nothing i can do about it) then they get iced and we ad salt water 15min before we pull them out to hang which drops the fishes temp below freezing. granted sometimes the damage is already done, but as a crew we do our best to put stringers with limits on them in the box, as they get there limit

·
781 Posts
I guess I'm just picky, but if you don't get fish cooling within an hour, its trash. And I hate killing things that I then can't use.

·
1,553 Posts
with fish like red snapper, grouper and other summertime catches dont really need to get cooled down immediately. those fish are kept out of the water and off ice for hours all over the world. it wont ruin the meat on these white flesh fish. but tuna should always be cooled down

1 - 20 of 24 Posts