30 Kg Giant Trevally catched in Komodo Island - Indonesia

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by adam5589, Aug 14, 2009.

1. adam5589

adam5589 Junior member

Hi,

This is report belong to my friend, Mr. Joko. He just came back from fishing trip at Komodo Island, Indonesia.

Date: 07-09 August 2009
    Anglers Name: Joko Susanto, Anthony Dillon, Joeali Santoso, Rudiyanto
    Ship Name: Xtreme Ulua (|| Xtreme-Ulua.com - Popping & Jigging ||)
    Captain: Rahman Kosasih .
    Spot: The entire area Rinca and Komodo Islands .

Wind: South-Southeast
    Current: North to South

Weather: Sunny
    Waves: Calm mostly except a little rough in the southern areas .

Fish caught n released : Giant Trevally , Red Bass , Grouper , Barracuda .
    The biggest catch : Giant Trevally - 30 kg.

Fishing Technique: Popping (C & R)
    Bait I used : Mostly Stickbait .

Dear all,

I am happy to report & share my fishing experiences in the islands of Komodo national Park onboard Xtreme Ulua . The area we fished is still very much a prime fishing area that in total we caught n released a total of 25 fishes in 3 days fishing with numerous failed hook ups and a few line breaks due unstoppable fish that took our line and cut by the corals . We certainly learned a lot and would like to return again in a not too distant future to try again with our new found technique .
    Sea conditions were good , a little rough and greenish water in the southern part of the National Park , else where the sea was calm and clear water mostly . Temperature of the water is between 25 ` 27 Degree C which is quite good .

During this trip despite the condition not being prime , we still get a lot of strike in the western part and the eastern part of Komodo Island as well as that of Rinca island , including around south of the Padar island which have many small islands and rocks jutting out from the deep sea .

Various lures were used but stickbaits proved to be the most effective lures albeit poppers got some strikes too , however definitely stickbaits were choise of lures to fool the already " educated " GT in Komodo Nationasl Park .

The boat we use is very well designed boat for popping especially , the bow can accomodate 4 anglers casting simultaneously with having to duck out when one of the angler do the casting , another angler can use the rear side but time there is no need for that . Sleeping facilities is very good in the large airconditioned and 4 anglers can sleep with ease , in this trip we have a very big guy and there is no problem for him to sleep and move about in the boat .

The boat's other facilities such as eating n showering are sufficiently comfortable and most importantly , the crews are familiar in the area and have vast experiences in GT popping technique so they can help anglers by manouvering the boat in such a way to help the anglers to fight the stubborn fish in full control .

Joko Susanto
    +62-81-23028757

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Hi,

Very nice report and awesome pictures. One of my goals is to catch a
    black GT and also a dogtooth tuna. Looks like a Wahoo Stickbait you used how does it swim?

3. Billiam

Billiam Moderator

Any difference between the black and the sliver GT or is it just color preference? :p

4. adam5589

adam5589 Junior member

Hi,

Very nice report and awesome pictures. One of my goals is to catch a
    black GT and also a dogtooth tuna. Looks like a Wahoo Stickbait you used how does it swim?

Hi mate,

Yes, my friend use Wahoo Stickbait. It designed as neutral buoyancy and very good for choppy water.

5. adam5589

adam5589 Junior member

Any difference between the black and the sliver GT or is it just color preference? :p

Hi,

The black GT means she is pregnant.

6. gman

gman Senior Member

From what I have been told the black GT fights much harder than the normal grey GT. Not sure of any science behind that but most that have fought them say the same thing

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Fish are like humans. Those pregnant ones will beat you up mentally and physically.:)

8. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Thanks for the report and great pictures.
    That boat is cool I like the elevated casting deck we need some boats like that in the USA
    Could you show more pictures of the boat

9. caranx hunter

caranx hunter Junior member

Black GTs fight very hard - much harder than the silver ones.

I've been told by a Japanese skipper that black GTs dwell in caves. Not sure how true that is.

Will be heading near Komodo next month - can't wait to tangle with GTs again!:D

10. adam5589

adam5589 Junior member

@caranx hunter

Good luck mate ! Hope you can catch big GTs.

11. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

Hi mate,

Yes, my friend use Wahoo Stickbait. It designed as neutral buoyancy and very good for choppy water.

Hi Adam 5589,

Does the Wahoo swim under the surface, or on top like walk a dog stickbait?

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hi Adam 5589,

John, I tested Wahoo 90 and small back portion of Wahoo is out of water. If you put heavy treble hooks, I assume they are completely submerged.
    Heru lures are one of the most underrated qualtiy lures in the US.
    They are as good as any expensive Japanese lures in terms of qualtiy and productivity. After my success with Carpenter stickbait, I am going to test Heru stickbait intensively in Cape Cod.

[​IMG]

Good to know GT in Komodo haven't fished out due to commercial pressure.
    I have a couple of GT destinations next year, but both places don't offer any airconditioned room or even fan. :confused: I don't mind fishing in hot weather, but I need full rest comfortably at night. :)
    I have to reconsider to visit Komod after I read this report.

13. adam5589

adam5589 Junior member

Hi Adam 5589,

Hi JFLORES,

My self, never use Wahoo Stickbait yet, so I don't know exactly its action. But according to my friend who used this, he said this lure is VERY GOOD ! It is worth to buy.

And according to this shop, seems it is on top like walk the dog.

14. adam5589

adam5589 Junior member

@ksong

I think Komodo is (still) the best location for GT fishing in Indonesia. Many GT's spot there.

Komodo Island is 1 of the New 7 Wonders of Nature Finalists (New7Wonders of Nature Finalists | Vote7)

So reconsider to visit Komodo is a must :)

15. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Have you tried jigging in the area at all? :)

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

@ksong

I think Komodo is (still) the best location for GT fishing in Indonesia. Many GT's spot there.

Komodo Island is 1 of the New 7 Wonders of Nature Finalists (New7Wonders of Nature Finalists | Vote7)

So reconsider to visit Komodo is a must :)
    Your fishing report makes me to reconsider to fish Komodo Islands.
    I can fish in hot weather, but I need to rest at night in comfortable condition and the air conditioned boat is a big help.
    I'll send you a PM.

17. tass

tass Member

How much does a trip like that cost? I visit asia regularly and would love to get some fishing in.

18. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

tass -

have a look at the link in post #1. looks like 4-ppl, 1-day, $1000. seems they take care of a lot of the little hassles.

butch

19. adam5589

adam5589 Junior member

Your fishing report makes me to reconsider to fish Komodo Islands.
    I can fish in hot weather, but I need to rest at night in comfortable condition and the air conditioned boat is a big help.
    I'll send you a PM.

Hi ksong,

PM sent. Please check it.

Regards,
    Adam

20. adam5589

adam5589 Junior member

How much does a trip like that cost? I visit asia regularly and would love to get some fishing in.

Hi tass,

PM sent. Please check it.

Regards,
    Adam

21. adam5589

adam5589 Junior member

Have you tried jigging in the area at all? :)

@JerseyBrian

I am not a Jigging Man :) and never tried jigging at all in any fishing trip.
    Sorry I cannot answer yours. Maybe anyone can help JerseyBrian ?

Regards,
    Adam