360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
I for one am going places with my travel rods in hand and saying screw you to airlines that gouge fishermen.
I travelled globally for business, over 80 countries.
Would often pack 3 piece rods or 4 piece pack flyrods,
if I thought I would have a chance at some fishing while on a trip.
These were good mostly for "putzing around" type fishing,
and would rarely be the right tools for a more serious trip.
I would pack these rods diagonally in my checked bag.

For any serious type trip while on business,
or a dedicated fishing travel trip, a rod tube is necessary.
Even if there were plenty of 3 piece rods to choose from,
for a dedicated fishing trip where you need 4-5 or more rods usually,
you're not going to be able to bundle them up and take as carry on.

The current trend with the airlines is to more stringley enforce
carryon size rules, and soon weight as well.
Trick is to choose an airline that does not penalize you
for sporting goods.
Those that do not, generally allow up to 60" in length,
and there is no surcharge, it counts as a bag.
Solves the gouging problem.

To support Benwah's comments,
the tackle retailers that market their own brand
of fishing rods,
to produce a new rod,
their miimum required order is usually 50-100 rods from their manunfacture.
That represents a 7/10k or 15/20k investment,
which is not a lot of money in this game,
and yet no one has taken the plunge.
They all read these boards,
and many of them travel extensively.

ps. the only smaller market I can think
of would be building pack rods for traveling surf fishermen :) :)

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Pretty much in the same boat. Travel a lot for work, bring a rod or two for putzing around. For everything in freshwater to light duty inshore, that is fine.

Now I’m putting together a serious quiver of travel saltwater rods I can fit in a Pelican iM3100 case. Inner dimension length is 36.5 inches so that is why I am pushing for a shorter slow pitch rod.

The goal is to be able to pick-up checked luggage without the goofy oversized process that tubes, surfboards, etc. go through. That honestly is where the majority of the hassle comes from since it is often the last piece to come out and requires some weird little door, elevator, etc. which only one person in the whole airport seems to have a key to. Can’t always use fisherman friendly airlines where I travel, and therein lies the rub.

The rods I have so far cover everything you need on a serious fishing trip (5 in total), except for the aforementioned SPJ rod.
If anyone here wants to know what I have so far, please feel free to PM me.

If someone is looking for a packable surf rod, try Jansen Inshore Tackle. They have 4 models to choose from.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Pretty much in the same boat. Travel a lot for work, bring a rod or two for putzing around. For everything in freshwater to light duty inshore, that is fine.

Now I'm putting together a serious quiver of travel saltwater rods I can fit in a Pelican iM3100 case. Inner dimension length is 36.5 inches so that is why I am pushing for a shorter slow pitch rod.

The goal is to be able to pick-up checked luggage without the goofy oversized process that tubes, surfboards, etc. go through. That honestly is where the majority of the hassle comes from since it is often the last piece to come out and requires some weird little door, elevator, etc. which only one person in the whole airport seems to have a key to. Can't always use fisherman friendly airlines where I travel, and therein lies the rub.

The rods I have so far cover everything you need on a serious fishing trip (5 in total), except for the aforementioned SPJ rod.
If anyone here wants to know what I have so far, please feel free to PM me.

If someone is looking for a packable surf rod, try Jansen Inshore Tackle. They have 4 models to choose from.
I've waited for the one guy with the key in the airport a number
of times as well. :)

Jansen Inshore tackle, Mexican rod company,
that's a new one.
Looked at their pack rods, the Baja 12 & 13
would be considered surf rods, not the other two.
Although I'm not too sure how many semi-serious
or real surf aficionados would use a
six piece surf rod with five ferrules.
If you like multi piece rods like this,,
do some poking around on Russian tackle websites,
plenty too choose from.
IMO the Baja 12/13 are for "putzing around" fishing.

Pelican iM3100, nice looking case.
I understand you are focused on the interior dimensions.
Did you consider the exterior ones ?
39.80" x 16.50" x 6.70"
Counter agent measures it as
40 + 17 + 7 = 64"

For almost every airline,
limit for checked bag,
L + W + H =
62"
So the bag you have chosen to house
the rods you've chosen to avoid gouging by the airlines,
is TWO inches OVERSIZE.
Probably not the best choice when trying to avoid
additional baggage fees :)

There is a solution to your problem,
it doesn't involve the need for 3 piece rods either.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I recently went down this rabbit hole... I'll be backpacking through Madagascar at some stage soon and the thought of backpacking with a 6'+ tube was not optional. I would have loved to have gotten myself a Phenix redeye and a Saltiga air portable, but both are pricey rods and without knowing that I'd be using them regularly, didn't want to go in that deep. I ended up buying 2 Hart rods from Spain. I got the Hart 81H traveler and the 3 piece Hart Bloody Popping Traveler. They look well made (Fuji components) and I really like the smoothness of their bend thru the joins. Time, and an angry fish or two will tell. The 81H comes in at just under 24" and the Popping rod at a little under 36". They are also surprisingly light in weight.

·
Site Sponsor
3,981 Posts
I learned so much more about rods following my recent buying trip to Japan and China. I always thought Japanese makers where all about the 2 piece thing to save space and make travel easier when in fact the easy of travel is a by product of the goal of making the rod thin.

When I started visiting the tiny tackle shops in Japan, often located in subway stations, and I literally could barely stand-up straight in the stores, I thought I understood it, but i was wrong.

I will try to explain as best I can. All rods have a tapper that goes from the tip to the butt. The Mandrel has to be tapered (small at the tip, large at the butt) or you would never be able to pull the mandrel out after the rod is wrapped.

Makes sense right.

Therefore if you wanted to make say an 8 foot popping rod, the tip size would be say #8 and it would taper down to say 3/4" of an inch OD at the very bottom. This is the way one piece rods where always and are still built.

The Japanese found out they did not need that size taper at the butt, it was not desirable they didn't need that OD to get the strength due to the advances in materials (new mats, new epoxies) BUT the rods still have to have that progressive taper so the mandrel can be pulled out.

The solution was to end the taper at 6 feet so it goes from #8 to say 1/2 OD and stops at 6 feet, the mandrel can be removed, the strength is what they needed. So now they have a 6 foot "Rod" that is too short to cast. The solution is the 24" handle section. The handle section is not tapered as its only 24 inches the machines can pull the mandrel out without a progressive taper, the rod is as thin as the designers wanted, as strong as they wanted and now to get the casting length, the "Tip" section is inserted in the "Butt" section and you have your 8 foot rod, but it tapers down to 1/2" OD like a 6 foot rod would.

I hope I am explaining it well, the way it was explained to be my the top guy at RippleFisher and I got the same description from David and Randy at T/R Rods.

###

I saw one maker in Japan offering a 3 piece travel SPJ rod, it was extremely expensive and I didn't have a chance to bend it. I honestly do not think I would have a market for a $800 travel SPJ rods, but time will tell.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
This does makes sense. So a 3 piece travel SPJ rod requires 3 specialized mandrels, but an unconsiquential advantage is that the rod blank could potentially be thinner than a 2 piece. Not that we need skinnier rods.

$800 for a travel SPJ rod of the highest caliber does not seem out of the question compared to popping rods in the same category ($600-$1100).

To Benny’s earlier point about economic viability, they would not fly off the shelves at that price obviously. That hasn’t stopped TR, RF and others from making the R&D and tooling investment in 3 piecers. Mandrels are’t cheap to make based on the little I know and often change hands when a rod builder goes out of business.

I am noticing the heavier Abu Garcia Salty Stage mentioned earlier is out of stock at some places, so someone is buying them. Granted that rod at 150g lure weight is more of a micro jig rod than an all-around SPJ rod.

For that reason, my quest continues...
Appreciate all the info and make/model sharing thus far.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Was recommended this rod to fit the desire for a 3 piece slow pitch rod, but the specs don’t seem to match the other rods recommended.

Anyone have any experience with this rod and whether it is suitable for slow pitch jigging? The max lure weight cocerns me.

Yamaga Blanks Triceptor TR-68MB

·
Registered
25 Posts
The travel rod market has come a long way in the last decade, but it is small, even trying find to anyone that has used a certain travel rod so you can get an opinion on it is hard to do.

I know some dealers that bought travel rods and can’t get rid of them, they sit for years and gather dust. The average fisherman, even some that travel every now and then, don’t have any interest in them.

I have 15-20 travel rods (3 and 4 piece), and while they aren’t as good as a dedicated 1 piece rod, they’ve gotten much better recently. Some are actually pretty good.

I can pack 10+ rods in my checked, wheeled, hard frame duffel bag (Granite Gear 32”), plus that many reels, tackle, and my clothes for a warm weather trip. When required to put reels in checked bags I use a cable Lock that goes through each reel and the suitecase frame, I can do the same with the rods.

These locks and cables can be defeated, but it will take some effort, the stuff can’t just slip out by “accident” during an inspection.

Depending on my status with the airline, this may be checked free and allow up to 70lbs, but I can still easily keep it under 50lbs if needed. No special oversized luggage, no indication that there’s anything special being checked that may be noticed by a suspicious character. Nothing extra to handle on shuttles, Ubers, Taxis, etc.

I didn’t get a chance to do any rod shopping on my last trip to Asia, but I will next time, they seem to have many new interesting options.

Anglers Choice in San Diego has a good selection of Redeye travel rods, they felt very good, I may get one of these next.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks George
I can vouch for the redeye 760S (spinning) for light to medium saltwater. Have caught California yellowtail to 30 pounds on it.

I also have a few of the Phenix freshwater bass and trout models. My only complaint is that the freshwater baitcasting rods have a shorter rear grip than I prefer.

Appreciate all the travel tips. Snaking the cable locks through the checked reels is a great one.

·
11 Posts
Take a look at the Phenix Red Eye travel rods. I have built a half dozen of the 7' 20-50 and 30-80
They have fished the East Cape and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Christmas Island, and Panama
that I know about. They are a great blank and make 31" three piece package. One friend says
it is his 'go to' rod when he fished So. Cal and Baja Mexico. Worth a look see. Jaime
PS: They are definitely not a slow pitch rod.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks Jaime. I have the Phenix Redeye 760S (spinning) and have pulled on the other models. Agree that they should not be considered slow pitch rods by any means.

Still hoping slow pitch travel becomes popular enough that some premium rod company takes the plunge.

Seems like there is some debate with Panama’s Copa airlines and their baggage policy changes regarding rod tubes. That might get some one or two-piece rod guys to reconsider a travel friendly alternative.

·
Site Sponsor
3,981 Posts
Yamaga and Ripple Fisher have a 3 piece GTX rod coming, its still being torture tested abroad before release. If you go to the Ripple Fisher Japan website, click English, download the current 2019 Spring catalog its in there but not released yet. When released I will order 4 or 5 pieces for stock. I too am starting to travel more internationally, normally I disagree with H/J but his post is spot on, till now these rods are for putzing around off the dock, get away for an hour or two but not serious fishing.

Three months ago a research scientist from Utah contacted me he is doing a full funded study of GTs in American Soma - We are supporting the effort with 3 piece GT Rods from TR. There is a market I agree, its small but its not so price sensitive. Rest of what H/J said is true most OEM factories want a min. of 50 pcs per rod model or weight, no its not a big investment but the demand is soft. Case in point, many here complained the TR Slow Pitch guide eyes where too small. So I nagged and nagged and nagged and pestered and finally the factory agree to take my money (4 months in advance) and make me 50 pcs Levitate 68-2 Blanks. My over run with the better half is a year. Meaning its going to take a year to sell them all. I bet she wins and it takes 18 months. Not so good for cash flow. As they say wanna make a million in fishing tackle ? Better start off with 3 million in the bank

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hi Dan
Are you talking about the Aquila series? If so, I don’t see how those specs point to slow pitch jigging. It looks like a topwater rod if that is the one you are thinking of.

Someone must have at least pulled on the Zenaq Expedition 67 on this site to give an honest opinion/feedback?
Anyone?...

21 - 40 of 51 Posts