360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinking that rod manufacturers are scared to warranty such a rod as so much stress will be placed on that upper ferrule.

The nature of that technique is already pushing the gear dynamics to the max, but I think it would be useful on family vacations to pressured fisheries.

·
106 Posts
There are many greats 3 pieces popping rods that works even on GT's.
The 3 pieces slow pitch I have built caught many jacks, roosters and cuberas up to 50#.
Remember that the slow pitch rod are not made to fight fish. They are made to move the jig.
You must put the rod tip in the water and use the reel to fight big fishs. So there are not much pressure on the rod tip.
I agree that one piece is better but travel rod is so useful! While I travel, I have my rod tube with 1 and 2 pieces rod but, in my suitcase, I always have 2 travel rods as a backup. If I lose the tube I can still fish.

·
106 Posts
In fact, it's not exactly a MHX but, it's same spec as this MHX. TR905-3-MHX
I cut the butt to have a 6'8"rod. The butt joint is just under the reel seat in the handle so, the tip joint is about in the middle. It s good for jigs 170-280gr.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for posting another option in this underserved category. Please let me know if they survive any quality fish.

I am still coming up blank with all the name brand rods. If any SPJ Rod makers are reading this forum, please note the following.

Checking in long rod tubes suck
Oversized luggage fees suck

Just like quality popping and speed jigging rods sell, travel SPJ rods will sell. Actually probably better than popping and speed jigging since you don’t need to travel as far to find fish that will eat the sp jigs.

Cmon tackle companies. Step up and make these things...

·
28 Posts
I'll take it for a test drive in a few months when the season opens on our local ling cod, the Abu survived last season just fine while being used by my 8yr old daughter and her high stick antics. Probably because of the increased glass content in the blank that they use for the travel series. Pretty surprising quality for such low prices on both rods.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thank you for posting another option in this underserved category. Please let me know if they survive any quality fish.

I am still coming up blank with all the name brand rods. If any SPJ Rod makers are reading this forum, please note the following.

Checking in long rod tubes suck
Oversized luggage fees suck

Just like quality popping and speed jigging rods sell, travel SPJ rods will sell. Actually probably better than popping and speed jigging since you don't need to travel as far to find fish that will eat the sp jigs.

Cmon tackle companies. Step up and make these things...
When I see posts like this it becomes more and more clear to me that the general public has absolutely no idea about what the fishing industry, as a business, is all about.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I guess you are the authority on the global demand and supply for the entire fishing tackle industry now.

The fishing tackle industry is based on economics just like any other industry. If there is enough demand, and a company can make something at a reasonable profit, why not?

Not sure if you are in the fishing industry, but negative comments like this serve no purpose on this forum other than to discourage posting activity. You sir have no idea what a fishing forum is all about.

Maybe your are in the same crowd that said popping travel rods are stupid, yet some of the big companies like Fisherman, Ripple Fisher, Zenaq, and Temple Reef all have offerings in this segment now.

Are you saying these companies have a bad business model, or we as travelling fisherman are asking for the wrong products?
Either way, thankfully you don’t speak for all of us.

o_O

·
Registered
758 Posts
I like to think I have a reasonably well informed idea of the industry, but by no means do I think I'm the global authority - not by a long shot. Maybe I don't know how to internet forum? That could be it. However, I've probably have had a peak behind the curtain a little more than most folks.

In any event, here's what I do know - the vast majority of the fishing industry (something like 80% plus) is in the freshwater/bass market. That leaves a 20% market share for the saltwater market. Of that saltwater market, about 50% of the participants will actually make a purchase annually. Of the 50% that make a purchase, an extremely small percentage of that is dedicated to offshore lure fishing - whether its jigging, poppers or stick baits - let's call it less than 1%. Of that segment, it's even smaller that are looking for travelling rods for lure fishing. Of that small segment that wants a travelling rod for lure fishing, an even smaller segment are looking for 3 piece rods, specifically for slow pitch jigging.

So, while I think you're correct, to an extent, that the economic factors drive the market, what I'm saying is that there is no market for what you are asking to be built, other than the literal handful of guys that don't want to pay baggage fees, and that don't want to use the existing two piece offerings from the manufacturers you've listed in your post. That may change in the future, as slow pitch jigging becomes more popular, but it doesn't seem likely.

I mean, we can all jump on the forums and sing Kumbayah while we discuss hypotheticals, but in my opinion (which is all this is), based on everything that I do know - I don't think the market is there.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed on most points.
What I can only compare to the gas price increase that drove the lithium battery innovations that led to vehicles like the Prius becoming unexpectadly successful, nothing happens without perceived consumer demand.

Once considered a niche market in Southern California, the auto industry naysayers were proven seriously wrong when an experimental vehicle became something very viable economically speaking nationwide.

Having more than a peak behind the auto industry curtain, it is easy to see why someone would make the same assumptions. People are just being cheap about buying gas, most people only buy one car every few years, drive less yada yada.

What I was hoping would happen is that rod makers in this segment follow topics like this by watching for forum interest (views, responses, etc.). Maybe some folks send requests for this type of product via phone calls or email, and maybe even chat people up at fishing tackle shows. On a more modern front, posting something in social media catching a nice fish on these rods.

Granted the fishing tackle industry is not as sophisticated as the auto industry in terms of market research, but that type of buzz is what drives innovation. The buzz kill comments do nothing to encourage companies (like Toyota) to take a risk that could benefit everyone.

Statistically speaking you are absolutely correct, but I would hope fishing enthusiast in this community would be a little more enthusiastic and supportive of the collective needs. Don’t buy one if you don’t like them, but please don’t stifle innovation by torpedoing a thread.

I for one am going places with my travel rods in hand and saying screw you to airlines that gouge fishermen.

·
28 Posts
What's the old adage, build it and they will come. I know I did. I realize the product is not as refined as traditional SPJ rods, but no rod tube to deal with on family vacations is a major win in my book. What's that other adage, apples and oranges. Either way I will continue the quest for the holy grail of SPJ travel rods.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts