3 days of madness

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

The weather has sucked, in a word, except for Monday which was a rare treat this year so far. That hasn't stopped us from getting out and tearing things up a bit, though.

You've already seen the reports from Monday's trip with Kilsong http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/tuna-popping-whale-watching-combo-trip-07-06-a-5690/, and the trip yesterday with On the Water journalist extrordinaire Willy Goldsmith and crew of Mike, Josh, and Rosshttp://www.360tuna.com/forum/f76/tsunami-swim-shad-assist-hook-bluefin-5711/ so no need to expound there.

Tuesdays trip was a very difficult day on the water. We had to deal with very snotty conditions, with heavy seas and brisk winds all day. We had a few very good chances early in the day, but then had difficulty getting on the very few and brief blitzes that popped up mid day. Around 1 PM we had covered some major ground with no love, and eventually made out way back towards the original mark I had set in the fog and rain early that morning which hadnt yielded any fish hours before. Upon arrival, it took all of 30 seconds for a blitz to erupt less than 100 yards from where we should have stayed all day I guess.

We were in perfect position as the school came up, and all 4 lures were tossed into the frenzied ocean. Craig had the hot stick, and as he screamed "EAT MY F$&*#@! SLUGGO!!!, a fish obeyed and the fight was on. This was a demon fish from the start, and Craig had to literally dive to the transom to keep the line out of the props. He mashed the second guide on the OTI 60-80 Sniper, and the line actually got wrapped up in a cleat. He deftly backed the drag all the way off, we freed the line, rebent the guide enough to make him a bit more comfortable, and resumed the fight with proper drag and a ready angler. Craig had the fish on for another 20 minutes before he broke its will, and the fish succumbed to the gaff after a near fatal miss with the poon by yours truely. The fish came in still a bit green, and was on its side when I beagan the launch, but turned and the tip deflected off his head. I was able to get the dart out of the way, and after a few more circles and a bunch more of Craig's energy were done, the fish hit the deck at a very fat 64 1/3 inches. This makes Craig the new front runner in the season long tourney. We have had many fish larger decked, but not by one angler.

The OTI Tuna Sniper continues to impress. Monday we missed a guide 3rd down from the top, and had no issues with fighting the fish. Tuesday we absolutely pounded one breaking a guide down low against the deck with a big angry fish running hot, destroyed the gimbal, and still took the fish home.

The hot lure this week was definitely the Tattoo's Tackle Sea Dog and Sea Pup. My favorite color is the herring pattern, and the 2 fish landed this week on them absolutely inhaled the entire plug. These are stock lures right out of the package, and fool everything including the shearwaters and other pesky birds.

We are also proving that the Saragosa 18000 and 14000 are up to the task of handling these fish, and that you dont have to throw 40 plus dollar lures to land these critters. I upgraded the drags to the carbontex system from smooth drags, and these reels have seen some major action thus far this year. We have also landed a few fish on the stock Cabo 70 and 80 PTS.

Here are some of my pictures from this weeks trips:

View attachment 7730

View attachment 7731

View attachment 7732

View attachment 7733

View attachment 7734

View attachment 7735

Good shot of the mashed guide on the Tuna Sniper

View attachment 7736

Attached Files:

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

awesome again dom, wish it wouldve worked out for us, but we'll get out soon.

did you bust that eye while fighting or once it hit the deck and was slapping around?

3. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

awesome again dom, wish it wouldve worked out for us, but we'll get out soon.

did you bust that eye while fighting or once it hit the deck and was slapping around?

The eye busted up during the fight. Thats two big fish this week without proper load on the blank, and two love stories resulting. These rods are just plain sick. I can't tell you how happy I am that TJ took faith in my abilities to represent his product, and prove the durability and performance features these rods posess. I'm doing my best to kick the hell out of these, but they just keep taking the abuse.

4. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

Nice job Dom!!!! Looking forward to tomorrow and we will be armed with Sea Dogs, Sluggos, runbohs, shibukis, FCL Labo Squidpens and my son's pet bunny if needed :D

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Nice job Dom!!!! Looking forward to tomorrow and we will be armed with Sea Dogs, Sluggos, runbohs, shibukis, FCL Labo Squidpens and my son's pet bunny if needed :D
    See you on the water. I go with Chip.
    We have slight disadvantage because we don' have Sea Dogs or Sluggos, but I am very confident to catch tuna tomorrow as my friend Choi is coming. He never got stunked whenever he fished tuna in Cape Cod. :)

6. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Very nice Capt. Dom!

7. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

Cappy D bringin' home da' bacon once again and with broken gear to boot. This season is going to go down in the books as a serious winner even if it ends tomorrow you have some awesome memories already in the vault.