3/16 Fishing Report Out of Packery

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Rooney, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Rooney

Rooney Member

My boat partner and I finally got a chance to take the Glacier Bay fishing on Monday. Since this was our maiden voyage, we didn't want to go to far. We had some problems with our fish finder reading the bottom so we made the best of it. Found a shrimp boat with black fin blowing up everywhere. I didn't have my top water lures, dam it. Oh well, we ended up with a nice ling, and some state water snaps on the way in. The boat rode great but as you can see from the pics, it was pretty calm. Had a great time fishing with friends and can't wait to go again

Attached Files:

2. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Way to go Andy. That's breakin the new ride in right.

Fred

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

How deep was the shrimp boat?
    Were all the BF's caught on jigs?
    Nice haul for a test run.

4. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

5. Rooney

Rooney Member

The BFT were caught on jigs. Ling was also caught jigging. Snaps were caught with live piggy perch. The depth was probably around 250-300ft, but electronics were acting up, so I could be wrong. To be honest with you, the BFTs never really stopped biting. We just had to many and not enough ice. When we stopped jigging and started trolling we picked up a few more BF. They were everywhere. We tried to trade the shrimpers beer for ice but they said they didn't have any? We headed back in to state waters and in Packery channel we got pulled over by the game warden. He checked our fish and our licenses, no problems except for no stickers on the boat, oops. He was pretty cool and let us ride.

6. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Hey Rooney,what jig did you catch the Cobia on?

7. Rooney

Rooney Member

Burt caught the ling on a blue butterfly jig that he bought off of ebay, no name brand. I think he said he bought 20 or 30 of them for $99 with case. Cheap and effective. I might have to get in on that myself. He caught several BFs on the same jig.

8. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

If you ever need help filling that tank-up post here. I would even scrub it down, and clean all the fish after a ride.

9. Rooney

Rooney Member

If you ever need help filling that tank-up post here. I would even scrub it down, and clean all the fish after a ride.
    will do.

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

great job guys. wouldve been nice to have a popping setup.

11. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

12. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

Burt caught the ling on a blue butterfly jig that he bought off of ebay, no name brand. I think he said he bought 20 or 30 of them for $99 with case. Cheap and effective. I might have to get in on that myself. He caught several BFs on the same jig.

Sounds like... "Fishing Comfort" Jigs on Ebay

Bazz :)

13. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Good job Andy, what was the fuel burn? That sucks about the brand new electronics not working right....

14. Rooney

Rooney Member

The fuel burn was between 1.8 and 2.0 mpg. The new garmen electronics were great except for the transducer. When they installed one of the wires they broke the plug. That kind of sucked. They are fixing it and adding auto pilot. Hope it is ready for my birthday. I am ready to go again.

15. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Great report Andy!

16. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Great report

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The fuel burn was between 1.8 and 2.0 gallons per mile. The new garmen electronics were great except for the transducer. When they installed one of the wires they broke the plug. That kind of sucked. They are fixing it and adding auto pilot. Hope it is ready for my birthday. I am ready to go again.

I hope you made a mistake with that, 1.8-2 MPG would be more like it, altleast with my GB 260

d-a

18. Rooney

Rooney Member

d-a, thanks for the heads up on MPG. I don't know what I was thinking. I have a question about your GB. Do you have problems reading the bottom when you are running? What type of transducer do you use? Is it thru hull or shoot thru hull?

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

d-a, thanks for the heads up on MPG. I don't know what I was thinking. I have a question about your GB. Do you have problems reading the bottom when you are running? What type of transducer do you use? Is it thru hull or shoot thru hull?

Its neither its mounted on the back of the transom and I can not read while running. I have been looking to add a thru hull, but a little leary since I trailer my boat.

d-a

20. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

rooney,
    McGolfer might be able to answer your question.

21. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

d-a,I have three Glacier Bay's at my marina,I can probably give you input on thru-hull transducer's.By the way they are Great riding boat's.Love going fishing on them.
    David