2500 Daiwa Options for Inshore Use...

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by Jason4606, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

OK... I just finished inshore pompano/spanish mack rod and want a new 2500 size Daiwa reel for it.

I have a 1500 TD-A Advantage that I really like for bass fishing, and was going to get one of those. But I just noticed that it only uses 2 x CRBB, rest are standard bearings. :( Other domestic option is the new Fuego with salt resistant frame. But they're ~$275. :eek:

Are the standard bearings OK? Is the Advantage OK for pier/beach with daily rinsing? If not, which model (US or JDM) would you suggest?

Thanks!

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

OK... I just finished inshore pompano/spanish mack rod and want a new 2500 size Daiwa reel for it.

I have a 1500 TD-A Advantage that I really like for bass fishing, and was going to get one of those. But I just noticed that it only uses 2 x CRBB, rest are standard bearings. :( Other domestic option is the new Fuego with salt resistant frame. But they're ~$275. :eek:

Are the standard bearings OK? Is the Advantage OK for pier/beach with daily rinsing? If not, which model (US or JDM) would you suggest?

Thanks!

Stella 4000 :D :D :D

d-a

3. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

That'd work too! Have an extra one laying around to donate to the cause?!? ;)

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I say buff the spool with carnauba wax, and spray down the entire reel with corrosion x before and after each saltwater use. You should be ok. I would pre-treat the reel's internals as well with corrosion-x, grease down the bearings and screw holes as well. For pier, jetty, and flats fishing, I prefer low profile baitcasting reels built for saltwater like the shimano curado, but that's beside the point. :D

5. d-a

d-a Senior Member

That'd work too! Have an extra one laying around to donate to the cause?!? ;)

Between Freddy, Jim, and I; I am sure we have an extra one. Freddy likes his VS for the pier, so thats an option

d-a

6. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

what about daiwa tierra 3000.i have one and havnt had any problems.lock the drag and rinse and its good to go.I believe it also only has 2 crbb though.i guess thats all that comes with the lower end stuff.but mine has worked for two seasons.

7. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I just picked up a diawa coastal 2500 and took it offshore seabassing. Caught a few seabass on a 3 oz jig with it and performed very nicely. It is pretty much a tierra, which I love but it is designed more for saltwater use and is the same price as the tierra of the same size.

8. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

yeah thats true i forgot about the coastal it has 7 crbb.its prices look good

9. Angler Systems

Angler Systems Senior Member

I just picked up a diawa coastal 2500....

The 2500 Coastal is the way to go IMO. Great drag, saltwater ready and less then the Daiwa Advantage.