25 cent jig-Classic

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by LT1, Mar 22, 2009.

1. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

Guess its worth a try

2. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

This was posted before and is my favorite butterknife write-up ever...

homemade knife jigs

Takes a while to read all of it, but the dude has mad cheap lure makin skills!

I actually went to the thrift store and bought 25 knives for $2.70 2 weeks ago. I hadn't looked at the thread above in 6 months and had to go find it. When I went back to read his notes, I noticed that I got a bunch of 2 of the styles that he shows as his favorites! (think about how many thousands of patterns there are out there) Now I just need to get to work!

Only real issue at all with the whole deal is weight. Even heavy, solid handles are still light. (haven't weighed any yet, but likely 2oz MAX) But they can obviously make great shallow water and casting jigs for next to nothing...

What I'd like to find is a source of discarded 1/8"-1/4" x 1" stainless bar stock. You could cut some killer long jigs out of that!:)

Just be careful of the edge! If you leave the full blade (which he doesn't in the thread above) just be sure to grind it flat!

Jason

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

This was posted before and is my favorite butterknife write-up ever...

homemade knife jigs

Takes a while to read all of it, but the dude has mad cheap lure makin skills!

I actually went to the thrift store and bought 25 knives for $2.70 2 weeks ago. I hadn't looked at the thread above in 6 months and had to go find it. When I went back to read his notes, I noticed that I got a bunch of 2 of the styles that he shows as his favorites! (think about how many thousands of patterns there are out there) Now I just need to get to work!

Only real issue at all with the whole deal is weight. Even heavy, solid handles are still light. (haven't weighed any yet, but likely 2oz MAX) But they can obviously make great shallow water and casting jigs for next to nothing...

What I'd like to find is a source of discarded 1/8"-1/4" x 1" stainless bar stock. You could cut some killer long jigs out of that!:)

Just be careful of the edge! If you leave the full blade (which he doesn't in the thread above) just be sure to grind it flat!

Jason

Jason

I tried SS stock and the jigs was too heavy, here is on that I made out of AL that weighted 300g.

[​IMG]

d-a

4. hog

hog Member

Ive found some Teenage kiddos that are makin'm out of scrap stainless plate that was given to them..

They are adding the weight by adding to the sides.

They're taking this students "start to finish" step display to the state skills contest pretty quick...

Just a little work, some plazma cutting, some tig welding, some buffing, and some heat paint of their choice and with glow if wanted.

Size is up to the individual...

View attachment 6123

View attachment 6124

View attachment 6125

Attached Files:

5. hog

hog Member

Attached Files:

6. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

wow this guys has it down right!

i wouldnt mind supporting his efforts for a few homemade nagamasas!

7. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

That's Kilsong picture with huge grouper on the bottom left :)

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Ichibahn, nice catch! You sure were staring at that pic pretty hard to get that, lol! Of course we all know Kil is super famous!

9. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I see Brian in there too! You guys should give autographs! (or charge royalties) :)

Those jigs look fantastic! But I'd be ticked if I lost one after that much work... I'm cheap, but think I'd rather just spend the dollar dollar bills yo! ;)

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

just saw myself hahaha. pretty good talent for some youngsters. nagas are deadly. i would definitely try those out for them. they can contact me if anyone knows them.