210# Texas Yellowfin

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by rhale, Jul 10, 2009.

1. rhale

rhale Senior Member

My dad watched some guys weigh a 210# Yellowfin yesterday at Fishermans Warf. He didnt have a camera with him but I might be able to get a picture from someone else.

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Thats a great gulf tuna.....not too far off of the record. did they say how it was caught? troll, chunk etc..??

3. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

now that's what i am spending all those hours offshore in search of. glad to hear that someone was rewarded with a 200lb plus tuna off our coast. would love to see a picture of that pig....ricck

4. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I am with Rick. I would rather catch a 200lb yellowfin here than most any other fish anywhere else.

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

That is a pig that I'd love to land.

6. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Thats a great gulf tuna.....not too far off of the record. did they say how it was caught? troll, chunk etc..??

On the troll. I know we all would rather catch a fish like this while targeting Tuna but its still an awesome catch. Just knowing that they are roaming around in our neck of the woods gets me pumped up.....

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the big boys dont hold at the floaters IMO. behind shrimpers, thermoclines, shelfs, etc is where i think we'll find them :)

8. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

That's one heck of a big YFT!! Wish I could have been there to see that one come in!

DBG

9. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Bret,
    On the july 4 trip at the floaters,
    there was a big one circling the boat at his leisure swimming @ no more than a few knots. he followed my swimbait but no dice. it whent all the way around the boat, looking and frustrating all who saw it....

10. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

wow...!! that big dude was looking for a shimp boat!! :) 200#... I dont know what I would do if I actually got it on the boat ;) Thats one heck of a goal to shoot for, but obviously not unobtainable.

11. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i took 3 of us to get a 180 pounder over the boards this year.

12. Pope

Pope Senior Member

the big boys dont hold at the floaters IMO. behind shrimpers, thermoclines, shelfs, etc is where i think we'll find them :)

I tend to agree. There are consistent landing of tuna over 150lbs behind the shrimpers from August through October each year.

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Bret,
    On the july 4 trip at the floaters,
    there was a big one circling the boat at his leisure swimming @ no more than a few knots. he followed my swimbait but no dice. it whent all the way around the boat, looking and frustrating all who saw it....

im sure that was frustrating!

14. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

Think of how hard it would be to get it over the side in a party boat!

The CC or Cabin crusier would be easier

15. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

That's exciting to hear about a big YF off the Texas coast. A couple of years ago there was a few schools of 150# fish. Once you see one hit the docks a certain size, others will follow.

Now, I'm really frustrated as I had to turn down an invitation to fish yesterday and today with a friend who lives for deep water trolling. It couldn't have been him that caught the tuna or my phone would have been ringing off the wall last night. Congrats to the angler and boat that caught it.

16. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

did it have sea crappie's popper in it's mouth?(go accurate!!)

17. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Word on the street is that a fisherman by the name of Hefner is the one that caught the 210# YFT. He was trolling a ballyhoo for marlin when it hit.

I got this info from Etan and he indicated that the fish board has lots of nice sized weigh-ins thus far.

18. Underwater Expeditions

Underwater Expeditions Site Sponsor

Lee Weidner one of the Second Capt.'s of the Big E was on his yacht when a 210lb Yellowfin caught while fishing in the Poco Bueno this week! He called Raul yelling. They also caught a monster marlin that placed on the board.

19. Bret

Bret Senior Member

heres a pic of the 210
    Dang nice tuna for the gulf!!!!

Attached Files:

20. Pope

Pope Senior Member

That is a nice fish. I would like to see that bad boy being pulled over the gunnels.