360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find out how much force would a 20kg tuna have going straight out run.In other words what kg's would you feel at your end .

·
366 Posts
The weight of a tuna is largely irrelevant to how much force is exerted on the angler. The variables that determine force (maximum) on the angler are as follows:

Drag setting
Rod Length
Rod Angle

Of course, if the fish is not strong enough to pull drag, then you replace drag setting with the straightline force at the reel generated by the fish.

·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at it from this point of view...
How hard (in kg) could a 20 kg tuna pull before the line snaps.

So your hooked on and the 20 kg tuna takes a hard charge what kg line would you use as a minimum on the verge of broken off.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Look at it from this point of view...
How hard (in kg) could a 20 kg tuna pull before the line snaps.

So your hooked on and the 20 kg tuna takes a hard charge what kg line would you use as a minimum on the verge of broken off.
If you use lock-down drag, your point of view is relevant. However, as we use drag for tuna, how much drag you like to use is more relevant.
For 20 kg tuna, I like to use 15 - 18 lbs drag and the line I use should be 50 - 65 lbs accordingly as the max drag I use is 1/3 of line rating.
You can fight a 20 kg tuna with 10 lbs drag and 30 lbs line, but you need a reel with more line capacity.

·
221 Posts
Seahunter..

The problem with Yellow Fin school tuna is they can be anywhere from 30 to 80# with a few over 130# mixed in here in our Gulf Waters. If you plan your gear on 40-50# Tuna using 15# of drag and get one over 100# you are going to be in for a really long fight!

It's best to use at least 65# Braid so you can use 20# of drag and use an 80# FC leader for chafe resistance.

Remember... You don't get to pick the size of the fish!

Bazz :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts