360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

2017 BFT Lures in SoCal

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Nick Mosaquites 
#1 ·
Last year and likely this year (I hope) in SoCal we saw/we'll seesome larger 150-300# BFTs. They are feeding on some sardine (5-7"), micro baits and were foaming as far as the eye could see.

They were hitting the popper and stick baits last year. What are some of your favorite lures for the above?

I just ordered:

-CB One Ozma HW 140 Sinking
-Tackle House Contact Britt CBP 120SW Sinking
-Tackle House Contact Bezel 2013

Any other suggestions?

#3 ·
I never go fishing without CB One Drifters. Out-produce all my other sinkers by a big ratio.
Guston long bait or super-knife in 75g (get overlooked but are very productive)
Siren Deep Seductress 185 (This size is perfect for smaller forage and the cast-ability and action are awesome)

#4 ·
On the east coast....soft plastics are big on those tuna.... The stand-by was always the RonZ...The hook is a swing hook, and will never, ever straighten out.... For the past two years, I've loved taking customers out using the Savage Gear Sandeel (8", 5 3/4 oz)....We haven't bent the hook yet, and have landed fish over 300#...

#8 ·
H
On the east coast....soft plastics are big on those tuna.... The stand-by was always the RonZ...The hook is a swing hook, and will never, ever straighten out.... For the past two years, I've loved taking customers out using the Savage Gear Sandeel (8", 5 3/4 oz)....We haven't bent the hook yet, and have landed fish over 300#...
How do you like to fish the Ron Z?

#9 ·
H

How do you like to fish the Ron Z?
In my book and many NE guide books if you could only have 1 bait it would the RonZ. You really can't fish it wrong. If you see fish breaking you can cast it out and close the bail when it hits the water and simply let it fall/swing through the fish. Then you simply jig it back to the boat. You don't have to be overly aggressive jigging it as the tail gives tons of wiggle and action. You can simply reel the handle a few cranks and give it a good pop every few turns. Sometimes they simply want the RonZ burned on the surface cranking it straight. And don't forget about deadsticking it. When the action is slow or sporadic you can leave the RonZ 50-75ft under the boat and put the rod in the rod holder and let the motion of the boat impart action. The RonZ is a great imitator of many types of baitfish too including squid (when they're swimming with tentacles in), sand lance (sand eels), herring, and just about any other long, narrow baitfish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.