2015 Stradic Fk tuning upgrade and out of the box servicing.

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by LeoNYC, Aug 30, 2015.

1. LeoNYC

LeoNYC Fishing Guru

So I just received the new Stradic 3000fk and I'm very impressed with the design and execution of this reel. Now I'm not going to go ahead and provide a full forensic dissection of it but out of the box I did have the curiousity to open it up and see what changes were made. Now I've been upgrading every stradic since the inception many years ago and have provided detailed step by step uogrades of the last model FJ when it first debuted in 2012. This new FK is nothin at all like the FJ series as it shares a extremely close layout and design of the new Stella FI but with dumbed down parts to fit this price point of about 1/4 of the Stella FI. Now for the start I did notice out of the box was slightly more handle play than was acceptable for my liking as I know all reels have somewhat some play do to not putting to much stress between the maingear and pinion gear causing premature wear on the gears. So I went ahead and opened up this reel and decided to add a genuine Shimano micro gear shim to slightly reduce some of that play but still leave it buttery smooth without the handle slop rattle. This brass washer is about 0.1mm and extremely fragile to handle as it can be bent easily yet it is just enough to remove about 50% of the handle slop /play I experienced out of the box. So in order to open this new reel you will need the following tools as they now use Torx drivers t8-t7-t6 sizes to get inside plus a few regular Phillips still are used but gone away are most of the Phillips screws from the FJ, cleaner design having Torx screws IMO but can be a pain if one comes loose on the water and you don't have any torx drivers handy. Also these reels arrive practically grease less like if the execs at Shimano whip the production team for adding more grease ! So I added some ardent to the gears and teeth but not overdoing it either.

Attached Files:

PE Pete and Razzorfang like this.
  2. LeoNYC

LeoNYC Fishing Guru

As for upgrades so far I just upgraded the handle knob to a Jigging world 39mm Eva power knob which bolted right on using existing stradic hardware. The stradic fk 3000 only comes with 1 bearing in the knob and a bushing as well so I tossed the bushing for a stainless bearing and bolted it on with now 2 bearings in the knob, much smoother now. I also decided to upgrade the rear worm gear bushing to a bearing as every stradic ever made has a nylon bushing in that area where the worm oscillation gear rotates. With this new model there is only 1 t6 screw holding the rear cover on to get to this worm bushing. After removing the cover there is the one Phillips screw holding the stainless worm retainer in place. Remove that and pop out the cheap nylon bushing and in goes the bearing (3x6x2.5mm) with a 0.2mm stainless washer In between to keep the outer racers of the bearing from scraping the inside of the stainless retainer wall. Put everything back together and it's truly a smooth reel and for the money it's a tough one to beat. IMO this reel looks like a major improvement over the FJ and there are other areas I do see can be upgraded like the spool bearing is a nylon bushing and the pawl has a nylon bushing as well but for now I will fish it and enjoy as even without all the upgrades I usually do it is still smoother than a fully upgraded FJ stradic ! I'm sure there will be others doing there upgrades online as well as many were doing them after Me with the FJ with better pics. I'm just on my iPhone lol. I will keep this going for those whom like to tinker like me. Tight lines and take care,

-Lenny

Attached Files:

3. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Plastic/nylon gears???

4. LeoNYC

LeoNYC Fishing Guru

Yea I did notice the idler gears are plastic as in previous stradics but the stresses are mainly on the pinion and main gear which are Metal. On the Stella FI those other gears are metal as well. I've had many used and abused elder stradics and those plastic gears on the idler seem to be fine. Time will tell I guess with this reel on their durability

5. RedPhish

RedPhish Active Member

Thanks for the step by step! Do you have a list of all parts? (Shimano part numbers or otherwise?)

6. LeoNYC

LeoNYC Fishing Guru

Sure but which numbers would u need ? The JW knob or the bearing I used in the worm gear?

7. avet4life

avet4life Junior member

what is the part number for "his brass washer is about 0.1mm and extremely fragile to handle as it can be bent easily yet it is just enough to remove about 50% of the handle slop /play I experienced out of the box." ???

8. LeoNYC

LeoNYC Fishing Guru

Part number is RD11146 washer. Now here's the funny thing about that washer is that they are sometimes slightly thinner or thicker than the ones supplied in the reel. For say you feel your reel has too much slop so u open it up and notice a few washers on top of the maingear, some brass and some stainless yet they share the same part number on the schematic. I would first add 1 washer you just ordered to the shim stack and close the reel up to test feel if it removed some of the slop. If the reel feels tight then remove the slimmest washer in the stack which may be the factory washer supplied in the reel and then close it up and test feel again. Attached is a pic of the Stradic 3000FKHG schematic circled of the washers you will need to buy from Shimano

Attached Files:

9. LeoNYC

LeoNYC Fishing Guru

Next simple mod is the ball bearing spool shaft. Now I don't expect this mod to create a huge difference but I could see it working if the drag is tightened down under load and having pressure on a stainless steel bearing is much better than a nylon bushing anyday in my book. Now to do this mod you will need one hell of a tiny Torx driver of a size I do not know however I was able to do this with a tiny eyeglass flat head screwdriver. The tiny screw that holds the bushing shaft assembly isn't on tight at all and no thread lock was used either. First remove the spool adjustment washers and then the tiny screw. Pop off the assembly and toss the crappy nylon bushing. Next take the bearing size 7x11x3mm and add a drop of oil to the bearing. I use the Shimano oil that was supplied with reels years ago (Shimano is cutting back on those tiny oils supplied with reels). Anyway put it all back together and fish it ! The total bearing count now for this reel is 10 up from the stock 7 supplied. More mods to come ! Tight lines ,
    -Lenny

Attached Files:

10. LeoNYC

LeoNYC Fishing Guru

Next mod is another simple and inexpensive upgrade to the reels drag system. One of the most important parts in any reel is a smooth and strong drag with no jerkiness when fighting a fish. Now pretty much all Shimano spinners under $300 all come equipt with oil lubed felt drag washers which are ok and do their job however lack refinement of greased carbon drag washers. Now it's not all about adding drag power just to achieve a higher rated drag, it's about a smoother linear running drag under higher drag pressure. Ok let's get started, u will only need a set of tweezers for tools and a small batch of Cals drag grease and of course your drag washers which I exclusively use CarbonTex by Smooth Drag as they make some really nice washers. Ok so go ahead and remove your spool and spool cap from the reel. Next take your tweezers and remove the drag retaining wire. Then go ahead and begin to remove the drag washers and stainless washers and lay them out in order so you don't forget how they go back in. Now go ahead and take some drag grease and apply to the washers between your fingertips and just lightly coat them evenly without leaving gobs of grease on them. Next reassemble the drag system and put the spool on and test out the drag by tightening it down to set the washers in place. I actually like to string up a setup tied to a bottom of a fence and lift the rod pulling on the drag reeling up and lifting again to test the washers before I hit the water. I honestly do notice a difference upgrading to the carbon washers as the drag pulls much more evenly and under full lockdown I could barely turn the spool with my hands without "gorillaing it" which may have increased drag pressure slightly. Tight lines and enjoy !
    -Lenny

Attached Files:

Gonefishings likes this.
  11. aquaholik

aquaholik Member

Great thread, don't know how I missed it.

I just did the drag upgrade last week due to necessity. 2 hours of 5-6 lbs of drag pressure pretty much destroyed the felt washers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the carbontex from smoothdrag:

[​IMG]

I lightly greased it at first but then I removed it and greased it a little more. The drag is smooth but more aggressive. Previously, with the felt drag washers, it took 8 180 degrees turns to lock down the drag from 1 lb of pressure. Now with the carbontex, 5 to 6 180 degrees turn will nearly fully lock down the drag.

For some reason which I can't explain, changing to carbontex washers made the spool sits lower so I had to add a shim washer to push the spool up to get it to wind line like before with the felt washers.

12. LeoNYC

LeoNYC Fishing Guru

Wow those felt washers are toast !! Nice detailed pics too. You should do the spool bearing mod too as it should help with rotation during drag runs.

13. aquaholik

aquaholik Member

Waiting for a sale from Boca Bearings. Hate to order just one.

14. aquaholik

aquaholik Member

Saw this on the ncangler.com forum. Toasted felt washers after only one 6lbs Albacore! Glad I finally upgraded the bushing to the bearings also.

[​IMG]

15. LeoNYC

LeoNYC Fishing Guru

Yea those felt washers are garbage in my book. They cause the drag to become jerky/sticky over time and if saltwater ever gets inside the salt drys them on non sealed drag reels.

16. JohnD

JohnD Senior Member

Lenny , the washer you put on top of the worm drive bearing , where did you find that ?

Thanks for your time in advanced.

LeoNYC likes this.
  17. LeoNYC

LeoNYC Fishing Guru

Hey John I ordered this shim set on eBay http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/361414193459 , the kit has three different thickness washers in it and each reel varies on space so test out which one will work best in the kit for your reel. My 3000 took a 0.2 washer in the kit so I'd give that one a try first. Too thick a washer and it will slow down your reel so 0.2 may be perfect for u too. Let me know how it goes,
    -Lenny

18. JohnD

JohnD Senior Member

You the man Lenny ! I'll get that ordered , but it will be a couple weeks before I install it , gonna be out of town for a while..Yeah , mine is the 3k also.

Thanks <><

LeoNYC likes this.
  19. LeoNYC

LeoNYC Fishing Guru

No problem, thank you !

20. kostasmet

kostasmet New Member

Good morning Lenny great job here, do you know what is the thickness of the original drag washers?
    I want to order a carbontex sheet but i dont have a caliper.
    Please help!!!