360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i got invited by clay to join him on team ruthless for the roundup this year and it was a intrestring one to say the least. the first day we went out only to turn around and duck some thunderstorms, went back out and made it to some spots, first drop i nail about a 40 lb ling, but we broke the first cardnal rule always get your gaft out before you start fishing, well it spit the hook( would have been first place ling) so we caught our limit of solid snapper on reef donkey rigs( we were using 16 oz because of the current) we had probally a 7 to 8 lb avg, clays daughter christene is a snapper catching fool and outfished everyone on the boat, we almost got her a place in the junior division, we got caught by tropical wave 1 on the way back in and it was intrestring to say the least, but no lightning and we made it back to the dock safely. day two we were joined by another fisherman and we headed out due south, just incase we had to run back in we would be running with the waves. we botton fished most of the day and not much happening. so we ran out to big southern, first drop and bam a yellow mouth grouper about 15 lbs, alright its on, we reset out drift and i drop a huge squid and i get a strike of a lifetime, i had that mc special grouper rod bent way over and after about a minute it lets go, man what could have been, so now we have about a hour left to catch something so we put out a spread out and troll and one of the avets goes screaming next thing clay is yelling its a big mahi it was very acrobatic and we got it to the boat and gafted it and headed for home. then we got caught by tropical wave number 2, this bad boy had gale force winds and blinding rain we ran for 30 miles in that stuff we got back shivering at the weigh-in loaded up and waited to the awards, clay was the angler on a 2nd place mahi we got beat out of first by one once.
awesome trip thanks to clay and his family for inviting us

making memories a trip i will never forget

Attachments

·
234 Posts
Im just thinking, that boat must have been REALLY ROCKIN to have the angle on that first pic!

nice catch though.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
officially 23.4 but there was some controversy and we were told the weigh station was closed to reweigh

but second is cool we will get them next year

1 - 5 of 5 Posts