2006 Alaska Meat Haul-Hog Hunter Style-Pic Heavy

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Kentucky Hog Hunter, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Kentucky Hog Hunter

Kentucky Hog Hunter Junior member

Most of you don't know me given 360 Tuna was forwarded to me by a good friend who is part of the community (BigHead).

Bert has been a friend for a couple of years and came up to the Great NW to meet me with our mutual friend RBG Fish. Bert & Russ are both from the DFW area and myself as well spent tours of duty in Texas in both dallas & Austin in the early 80's & 90's.

I have been in Oregon since 1992 and love this place. There is always something to fish for and it is all within 30 minutes or and 1.5 hour drive.

Russ & Bert can tell you about my Alaska trip as they both have been there before, but here is my 2006 version.

In addition, I want to give a shout out to Minnow (Admin) for being so kind to invite me to post my Alaska Adventure on his awesome website here.

Well, the 2006 Chapter of the "Hog Hunter" Meat Run is now in the books.

Once again, there will be plenty of Halibut to distribute to friends as the 2006 run was a very prosperous one.

Once again, it was indeed a trip to be remembered with good friends and many laughs & sore arms. This years team of 5 brought home 1000 Lbs of fillets for the freezer. I can't say how fortunate & blessed I am to have the opportunity to make this trip annually with such a good crew of folks.

Phil, Marlin, Gil & Uncle Howie: Cheers

Enjoy the pictures all.....

[​IMG]

Beautiful Glacier Bay from 35,000 Feet

[​IMG]

A Happy Hog Hunter at Yakutat Bay

[​IMG]

Team Picture

[​IMG]

Halibut Carnage

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Man, thats there is a load of hallies!!! Nice pics.. sounds like an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing with us.. So how big was the biggest?

3. Kentucky Hog Hunter

Big one this year was ~ 125#

4. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

WOW!!!!

Awesome trip.

Thanks for the report Kentucky Hog Hunter!

5. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Hey Hoggie, thanks for the pictures! Looks like a good time was had by all. How about salmon, were they in yet? Do any jiggy jiggy for the rockfish? Any unusual catches? I hope those dog sharks gave you a break this year. BTW, did you guys remember to brake out Russ's grill? Nothing like cooking out some fresh fish in Yakutat. Bert

6. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Holly smoke, that is one big flounder LOL or its a Holybut LOL.

Kentucky Hog Hunter, you should have brought home the whole fish and let me take it to GOM so i can claim I catch a world record flounder LMAO.

thanks for sharing with us.

7. Kentucky Hog Hunter

Hey Hoggie, thanks for the pictures! Looks like a good time was had by all. How about salmon, were they in yet? Do any jiggy jiggy for the rockfish? Any unusual catches? I hope those dog sharks gave you a break this year. BTW, did you guys remember to brake out Russ's grill? Nothing like cooking out some fresh fish in Yakutat. Bert

Bert, the Kings were in the Bay but those guys don't know how to fish for them.....

If you can believe this, we did not catch a single Dog Fish this year..... man, glad of that too.....

We definately used the RBG Fish Grill..... We had our traditional fish fry & boiled Halibut Cheeks dipped in Garlic Butter...... Damn, that stuff is so good its wrong :D

We did not jiggy jiggy but we did get 5 good keeper Lings and a couple that were in the 40# oversize class as well.....

Man, you guys are killing me with that planned tuna trip this Fall..... Wish I could be there but I got my week in Astoria from August 20th to the 30th....

Hope all is well down there. Man, I spoke to Russ tonight and we were talking about the Mav's..... I think they will pull it out.... I put in my order for a World Championship T-Shirt already.....

Take care guys and stay safe on the sea..... This is just another example of the power of the internet..... I will come down soon to share some water with you guys and hopefully put me on some good fishing....

8. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hey KHH, welcome to the site!

Those are some serious flat fish!

Later this year, I'm mixing in my first Salmon trip in Alaska before I meet with some big clients up in Anchorage.

We'll be fishing for Silvers off the Kenai in the Lakewood area?

Anyway, I'll be taking lots o' pics!

9. Kentucky Hog Hunter

Hey Ragman,

Silvers in September up there are awesome. Get ready for some sore arms.... I went to the Kenai about 7 years ago and did 2 fly out trips with a friend who guided up there during the summer. I think you can keep 6 of those a day and with the size average of 12 to 17#, that will be a lot of meat.....

Good luck up there my friend.....