360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a new 20000FA for a good price and I'm really tempted since a group of us is planning a trip to Panama next year. I like the look of the big handle on the old Stella 20K!

If I buy this I might as well get a good rod. Not much to choose from over here, Shimano Jigwrex or Blue Rose is available. I guess a 6' rod up to 400gr would be a good fit.

Is the Blue Rose twice as good as the Jigwrex? It's twice the money but I have heard very good things about them. But I don't like split grips ...

·
1,323 Posts
The previous model of the Blue Rose came with a full rear grip. I'm sure someone on here is willing to let one go.

·
5,457 Posts
There both good rods, but the Blue rose is built with a better blank and components. You can not go wrong with either.

Have you looked into a OTI G3 400g rod? Its in the middle of both rods price wise, and has had excellent reviews.

d-a

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
d-a, the OTI looks very good but I can't find over here in Europe. To import from the US gets very expensive with shipping and tax. I have found an OTI Tuna Sniper 40/60 which will be my popper rod.

I'm trawling the webshops and found another deal on a reel. This one a Stella 8000PG SW. Cheaper than the 20K and I think it would be enough for Panama regarding line capacity. Also an OTI Extreme 6' 300gr that could match it.

Two OTI rods would be fun :D

·
5,457 Posts
d-a, the OTI looks very good but I can't find over here in Europe. To import from the US gets very expensive with shipping and tax. I have found an OTI Tuna Sniper 40/60 which will be my popper rod.

I'm trawling the webshops and found another deal on a reel. This one a Stella 8000PG SW. Cheaper than the 20K and I think it would be enough for Panama regarding line capacity. Also an OTI Extreme 6' 300gr that could match it.

OTI has some international dealers might want to check them out.

d-a

·
17 Posts
I have the jigwrex 5'2'' 400g rated rod. It isnt really parabolic like some of the other rods out there, more tip action with the 400g jigs. I have a 8000 stella on it, really good combo, can jig it all day.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good, maybe I'll get the 8000/Jigwrex-combo.

I have checked out all the European OTI-dealers. One had no rods at all, just a few jigs. The other had the Tuna Sniper I bought and also the Extreme i might buy.

·
5,457 Posts
Sounds good, maybe I'll get the 8000/Jigwrex-combo.

I have checked out all the European OTI-dealers. One had no rods at all, just a few jigs. The other had the Tuna Sniper I bought and also the Extreme i might buy.

You should see if they can get the G3 400g rod for you. That way you don't have to worry about the VAT tax.

d-a

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After some price checking I've decided against the Stella. I can get a really nice overhead for half the price of this reel. I'll stick to overheads for jigging.

·
3,483 Posts

I would think that would depend on what you target. If you target tuna in Panama a mixed school could have fish from 40-250 lbs and the 8000PG SW would not likely be adequate for the larger fish. There is also the possibility of Black Marlin on a jigging set up (again if you choose to target them with that rig) and the extra line capacity would be nice.

If I was only using the jigging set up over near shore pinnacles then the 8000PG is a wonderful light setup. But if you are in open water I would recommend the larger reel as all bets are off as to what might take a jig.:)

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input, I'm now looking at a Gorilla 12 instead, much cheaper than the Stellas over here.

·
3,483 Posts
Thanks for the input, I'm now looking at a Gorilla 12 instead, much cheaper than the Stellas over here.

By all accounts a great choice for jigging. Have a great time and keep us posted on your trip.:)

·
649 Posts
Wachtel,

You cant go wrong with a Blue Rose; i will never part with this rod.

BLue Rose S60MD with Stella SW20000PG and 80lb braid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts