$200 reel

Discussion in 'Reels' started by JerseyBrian, Apr 23, 2008.

1. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

I want a reel for my 7 ft. St. Croix Tidemaster Heavy power Fast action spinning rod. I've been looking at either the Quantum Cabo 60 or the Shimano Saragosa 8000F. Spooled with 50lb braid, this would also probably see a lot of use as a back up casting reel for 30-80lb BFT/YFT (on a different rod, of course).

Just wanted to know some opinions.

Brian

2. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

go for the saragosa, i will put out more drag than the cabo, is 4 oz lighter, holds 30 more yards of 14lb mono aka 65lb braid, and you can get the bail less kit for it if you want as well

3. JerseyBrian

go for the saragosa, i will put out more drag than the cabo, is 4 oz lighter, holds 30 more yards of 14lb mono aka 65lb braid, and you can get the bail less kit for it if you want as well

What type of braid do you use? Sufix has their 65lb braid line equal to 17lb mono thickness. Power Pro has it equal to 16lb mono. Are you using Japanese braid line?

4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Watched a Cabo 60 kill a 65# YFT, drag wasn't an issue, but capacity was in that situation!
    -Brian

5. JerseyBrian

Watched a Cabo 60 kill a 65# YFT, drag wasn't an issue, but capacity was in that situation!
    -Brian
    Hey Brian

What lb test braid was the fisherman using? Would the extra 30 yards of 65lb (if that's what he was using) been actually beneficial or would the YFT have spooled that easily as well?

6. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

7. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

65# P-pro, but like you're thinking, if he hadn't finally stopped him an
    additional 30 yards wouldn't have mattered! Well, maybe 15 seconds.
    the -60 model just doesnt have the cap.
    the -70, -80 series do, but are a little big for a "mid-weight" setup.
    realistically, I wouldn't target 50#-plus tuna w/ a 60, but if it happens
    you can feel somewhat confident in boating the fish. JMO
    tight lines
    -Brian

8. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

How many school sized tuna actually run 300 yards of line of at 18-22#s of drag?

9. jig

jig Senior Member

I think there is a world of difference in a 30# tuna vs. an 80# tuna. 'Sporting' gear on a 30# tuna will be undergunned for an 80# tuna; 'sporting' gear for an 80# tuna will be overkill for a 30# tuna. Since I am target the bigger fish, I don't want to be undergunned. I fish a Spheros 14000FA with carbon drags and 300yds of 65# spectra. I think its just right for the 60-90# range YFT I usually get throwing swimbaits and topwaters. IF there are no YFT hitting, and lots of BkFT, then I will switch down to 30-40lb class gear. I would not want an 80-90# tuna hooked up on the Big E with only 30-40# gear.

10. JerseyBrian

Hi Jig

My primary casting reel will be a Shimano Twin Power 8000HG which can produce 33lbs of drag (I won't use more than 20-25 though) and hold about 275 yards of 65lb braid. I've seen a handful of people on several different forums land very big fish with this reel. Remember, the $200 reel I wanted to buy would spend most of it's time seeing backbay/inshore fishing mainly. However, it would also come with me on BFT popping trips up in MA. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the Saragosa. It has a 5.2:1 gear ratio, can produce 27lbs of drag (probably use upto 20 lbs MAX on it) and has the ability to swap out it's washers for Carbontex ones.

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

How many school sized tuna actually run 300 yards of line of at 18-22#s of drag?
    none.

12. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

swap for the carbon fibers and fish 25# drag with it :) crank em in before they have a chance to think about sounding :)

13. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I have one reel with 50lb and another with 65lb and a spare spool of 80lb.... but if i caught a big one on the 50lb i would still use alot of drag to try and kill it and if it breaks off it breaks off...

14. JerseyBrian

Thanks for the words guys. I'm thinking I might try and muster up another $75 to possibly pick up the Sustain 8000FE instead :) It's actually the U.S. Version of the Twin Power 8000HG. Just a few less bearings and it comes with it's own spare spool! Damn, I'm a sucker for rods and reels :eek:

15. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Brian, Instead of buying another reel similar size why not just get another TPower spool for lighter line and save the rest of the money for when you want to get a larger size reel.. It only takes a minute or 2 to swap rod, spool, and retye. Im currently looking for another spool for my stella 8k so i can put mono on it, spinning reels are very convenient to fish multiple lines on the same reel......

16. JerseyBrian

Brian, Instead of buying another reel similar size why not just get another TPower spool for lighter line and save the rest of the money for when you want to get a larger size reel.. It only takes a minute or 2 to swap rod, spool, and retye. Im currently looking for another spool for my stella 8k so i can put mono on it, spinning reels are very convenient to fish multiple lines on the same reel......

Never thought about it that way. Thanks for the tip LEX! However, god forbid, my TP8000HG reel breaks, then I wouldn't have a backup :) (I mean, I have a Saragosa 18k reel, but I wouldn't want to use it for casting all day...)

17. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

18. JerseyBrian

My apologies Jared. I guess 50-80lb tuna can't really be classified as "schoolie".

19. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

My apologies Jared. I guess 50-80lb tuna can't really be classified as "schoolie".

Yes, they are.

20. JerseyBrian

Yes, they are.
    what is the accepted weight range of "schoolies" for BFT and for YFT? Even schoolies need to be broken down into different classes! :p

21. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member