2 speed vs 1 speed jigging reels.

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Trav, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Trav

Trav Junior member

I am getting a new jigging setup, and im getting an avet reel. What i want to know is how useful is the lower speed on a jigging reel.

I can get a high speed reel but the lower gear makes it 50% more expensive, making me spend almost 125 more. Is it worth the extra little bit, or is it just an extra that I will have and never use.

Will be primarily used for jigging / chunking, getting it for the DD 80 hour in october. Thanks in advance for any input.

- Trav

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

You really only need a single speed reel for jigging use IMO. Just get a low gear ratio Avet and you're good to go.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I wouldn't recomend a lever drag reel unless you specifically targeting 100+pound fish on a regular basis.

d-a

4. macka17

macka17 Member

Hi.

I use both for jigging.

if you can afford one do it.

Std gearing is 4.7ish to 1.
    Having the lower 1.3 or so, comes in very handy when near wrecks\reef. and a bigger fish takes it.

Crank him clear. Then change up and fish.
    Very handy for all reef fishing I find.

Im still waiting for the 2 spd Saltiga's.
    Macka17

5. Trav

Trav Junior member

What do you use/recommend for jigging d-a? I jig a fair amount. I currently use a penn 113h, and I find it annoying.

- Trav

6. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I have some daiwa saltists and they are great for jigging. 4.9 retrieve is faster than normal reels, but not so fast that you have a problem with it. What kid of jigs to you plan to use, Norwegians?

7. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

penn baja special $ if you can find one is a tough reel that is priced on the low end, trinidad 40 narrow $$, ocea jigger 4000 $$, daiwa 30 or 40 saltiga $$ or saltist $ These are some of my favorite I dont like to use lever grags when jigging another good all around reel is a torque 300 $$ it has strong gearing and lugs which make it a good stand up reel as well it's just a little heavy but if you have been using a 113h it shoudn't be an issue.
    My all time favorite is the ocea upgrade the drag system and your all set.
    Match any of these with a 400 gram OTI and you'll have a sweet set up

8. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Hi.

I use both for jigging.

if you can afford one do it.

Std gearing is 4.7ish to 1.
    Having the lower 1.3 or so, comes in very handy when near wrecks\reef. and a bigger fish takes it.

Crank him clear. Then change up and fish.
    Very handy for all reef fishing I find.

Im still waiting for the 2 spd Saltiga's.
    Macka17
    I agree. I have been through a couple of jigging reels and have ended up with an accurate 665 2 speed. It's nice to be be able to winch the fish at times. If I get tired I can put it in low gear and just crank them in.

9. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

penn baja special $ if you can find one is a tough reel that is priced on the low end, trinidad 40 narrow $$, ocea jigger 4000 $$, daiwa 30 or 40 saltiga $$ or saltist $ These are some of my favorite I dont like to use lever grags when jigging another good all around reel is a torque 300 $$ it has strong gearing and lugs which make it a good stand up reel as well it's just a little heavy but if you have been using a 113h it shoudn't be an issue.
    My all time favorite is the ocea upgrade the drag system and your all set.
    Match any of these with a 400 gram OTI and you'll have a sweet set up
    What Jim said... But Saltiga/Saltist in Daiwa I'd suggest 30T or 40. 30T is 3/0 like 40 but narrow. 30 is smaller 2/0 diameter but wide.

Go star drag. I had an Avet JX 2sp. Sold it after 1 or 2 trips and never looked back. Nowhere near Saltiga 30T or OJ4000P for jigging. The bigger Avet reels like EX30/2 are nice for chunk/troll, and maybe the new smaller ones will be improved. But here are the issues I had...

No instant anti-reverse. Constant clunk, clunk, clunking into the dogs. Annoying when yo-yo jigging and can't be good on gear teeth or dog.

Cranking resistance. Meaning you're not cranking against a free spool when the lever is engaged. I had a JX loaded with 60lb braid but because of this couldn't realistically fish more than 9-10lbs of drag. I can fish 15-20lbs on the 30T, No Problem.

BTW... The OJ400P has a large diameter spool, low ratio gears, long handle, and a large gearset. It isn't much different from the 40N, but this low gear version (4.1:1) has a TON of torque. I've never had an issue getting line on this reel when needed to turn a big fish. It's fun to use and an absolute beast with the Cal's plate and smooth drag upgrade like Jim mentioned. It's my favorite for grouper jigging.

Jason

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

What do you use/recommend for jigging d-a? I jig a fair amount. I currently use a penn 113h, and I find it annoying.

- Trav

Trav

Most any star drag reel would be better for jigging than a lever drag with the exception of targeting larger fish. I mostly use a torium for all fish that I dont need more than 15lbs of drag on. Once I get to larger fish that need more drag to keep away from structure and get in quickly I go to a Ocea Jigger 5000(Trinidad 40 in the US). My Ocea will put out more drag than my accurate 665 2 speed and it will maintain free spool at its upper drag limits.

However if your dead set on a lever drag I am willing to sell my 665 2 speed

d-a

11. jig

jig Senior Member

I like the accurates for several reasons.

1. very light/very strong
    2. High drag range
    3. short throw conversion makes it almost like a star drag to engage spool

The avets are great, I have a lx for 40# and 30/2 for 80#, but for 60# (which is what I use for jigging and chunking, and what you said you intend to use the reel for), I want the reel to be capable of 30# drag and have the short throw. Avet can't do either. If you do want an avet, the HX is closest and a very good reel. You can get them used for much less. Someone had one on here I think for $300.

I like the 2 speed for same reason Special K said. I used to be a one speed guy, but once I fished a 2spd, I switched over completely.

12. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Once I used a 2 speed I wont go back. Makes a world of difference for getting fish moving away from a rig and towards you. Im fishing a 2 speed 870.

13. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Once I used a 2 speed I wont go back. Makes a world of difference for getting fish moving away from a rig and towards you. Im fishing a 2 speed 870.

I guess I have a different thought about fishing near the rigs. When I hook a fish near the rig I crank as fast as I can and gain as much line as humanly possible to get the fish away from the structure. Dropping down to a lower gear doesn't accomplish that for me.

d-a

14. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

d-a - you young studs can bulldog fish after fish from great depths and never get tired. However, us seasoned matured veterans need the low speed to preserve the body for the next fish :D

I'll never use Star drag reels again offshore. I have a trinidad 30 and 50 gathering dust.

Accurate 665w or 665N - Hoo-X if you're on a budget.

15. Trav

Trav Junior member

Preserving myself isnt an issue, i just want something i can use for a long time that i like and isnt going to cost me a huge amount. I have a
    $1,000 budget to get a nice popping setup and Jigging setup.

For popping i was going to go with a OTI tuna sniper and Spheros 18000FB with carbontex drag upgrade, knowing that i could upgrade the reel in a year or so.

Jigging/chunking i was going to go with a Trevala F Butterfly Jigging rod with whatever reel I finally decide on.

Theres a guy on EBAY who sells cosmetic factory defect avets for fairly cheap that come with 1 year factory warranty. most defects are different color plates are attached.

- Trav

16. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Preserving myself isnt an issue, i just want something i can use for a long time that i like and isnt going to cost me a huge amount. I have a
    $1,000 budget to get a nice popping setup and Jigging setup.

For popping i was going to go with a OTI tuna sniper and Spheros 18000FB with carbontex drag upgrade, knowing that i could upgrade the reel in a year or so.

Jigging/chunking i was going to go with a Trevala F Butterfly Jigging rod with whatever reel I finally decide on.

Theres a guy on EBAY who sells cosmetic factory defect avets for fairly cheap that come with 1 year factory warranty. most defects are different color plates are attached.

- Trav

Trav

I would get away from the trevalla rod for jiggin and chunking. For just a few dollars more you can get a much better suited rod for both with a warranty.

d-a

17. Trav

Trav Junior member

Trav

I would get away from the trevalla rod for jiggin and chunking. For just a few dollars more you can get a much better suited rod for both with a warranty.

d-a

Like what? I havent done nearly the research on rods as I have some of the reels.

- Trav

18. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Like what? I havent done nearly the research on rods as I have some of the reels.

- Trav

At melton's the Heaviest trevalla F series is $219.99 where as you can get a 400g OTI for $269.99. For $50 its a "no brainer" to me. The OTI 400g is In my opinion the best all around jigging rod OTI makes.

d-a

19. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

At melton's the Heaviest trevalla F series is $219.99 where as you can get a 400g OTI for $269.99. For $50 its a "no brainer" to me. The OTI 400g is In my opinion the best all around jigging rod OTI makes.

d-a

Nothing wrong with OTI but if you are on a budget I would look at dragonfly or hopper for under $200.

20. jig

jig Senior Member

sounds like you have a good plan. The blems on ebay (if its the guy with lots of feedback) are fine.

Agree on finding a better rod than the trevela. Don't forget watching all the for sale forums on the fishing sites, including this one. You will find some great deals if you are patient.