2 speed reels

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by thenewkid, Jul 15, 2007.

1. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

i have no knowledge of 2 speed reels yet i find myself buying one so can someone explain them to me as in how to set the drag and like are there gears how do u change gears idk im a noob lol:D :confused: :eek:

2. etan

etan Senior Member

If it is a normal 2 speed, not an automatic shift Tiberon, It will have a button that you push in for low gear and a lever you push to go to high gear. To adjust the drag put the lever drag to freespool and then increase the drag with the drag knob. Put the lever drag to strike and read the amount of drag on a scale while pulling on the rod and reel. Keep adjusting the drag until you get a setting of 25% to 33% of the line rating. The main thing I would say is be sure to always put the reel in freespool before adjusting the drag setting to avoid damage to the reel. The reel directions will tell you all this also but since no one had responded I thought that I would because I know you are excited about the reel. What kind of reel are you getting?

kellerman2006 likes this.

3. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

as my budget in damn near none existant i am settling for an okuma titus silver 50w 2 speed mounted on a penn v series rod nto bad but not top notch
    but i have seen it land 100+ pound YFT so i thinks its a decent reel for my purposes

4. etan

etan Senior Member

My first 2 speed was an Okuma 30, I think. It worked fine for me and I never had any problems. I sold it because the dog in it made such a loud click that everyone hassled me about having my clicker on. I bought a Shimano 30II next. I still have it with a tiburon frame and handle. It will handle anything I'll be fishing for here in the gulf. I had a TLD 50II LRS for a while but traded it off for a Tiagra 16 when they came out. The 50 was a great reel but the 16 is smaller and I put a topless frame on it and a power handle. You'll enjoy a 2 speed, it makes bigger fish alot less work.

5. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

shyt i hope so because now that i look back at my first offshore trip i didnt no wtf i was doin a had a rental rod with a beat senator on a nasty boat rod w 100 pound mono no belt not even a gimbal cover pullin in a 40 pound albacore and not only did i have no tackle i also had no rain gear and it pored i had insufficient amount of dry clothing and no motion sickness meds i was screwed more ways than i care to recollect i now realize how stupid i looked and i do not want that to be the cas this year i will be prepared lol

6. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

as my budget in damn near none existant i am settling for an okuma titus silver 50w 2 speed mounted on a penn v series rod nto bad but not top notch
    but i have seen it land 100+ pound YFT so i thinks its a decent reel for my purposes

You will be money ahead if you will save your dollars until you are able to purchase a Penn or Shimano USED. Buy quality equipment the first time. In fact, buy a quality single speed reel before a cheap two speed. You will be miles ahead of the game and have used less dollars in the long run.

I have found many bargins on fleabay. You just need to know their true worth.
    I will never again buy a used graphite rod.

Please note.... I did not say anything nice about the Okumas....

7. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

ima go out on a limb and say you dont like okumas why what happened did you have one ?

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Please note.... I did not say anything nice about the Okumas....

I think it would be hard to find anybody that would!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I agree, save up and get something decent. Your better off using the boat's tackle until your ready to purchase a good reel.

Floral Labs likes this.
  9. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

ok so okuma is a damn near unanamous "nooooooooooooooooo run away"
    so how about getting an avet lx 6/3 2speed on an oti jigging rod sound liek a better choice ?

10. Deep_Sea_Gull

ok so okuma is a damn near unanamous "nooooooooooooooooo run away"
    so how about getting an avet lx 6/3 2speed on an oti jigging rod sound liek a better choice ?

I did not include Avet reels in my first statement of advice.

You post about buying a okuma titus silver 50w 2 speed and then an avet lx 6/3 2speed on the same thread.

I ain't gonna ask what you want the rod n reel for. Be it chunking, trolling or jigging.

My advice is simply this " more fishing trips"

Spend your money fishing, not buying gear.

Kipi likes this.
  11. etan

etan Senior Member

I'm sorry you are getting hammered about the Okuma. My experience for the small difference in price, if you don't fish a lot it will be addequate for your needs. The difference in price will only give you one or two day trips more if you get a penn single speed. Get what you want, you can always switch later. Now they will hammer me instead of you.!

Kipi likes this.
  12. Deep_Sea_Gull

I'm sorry you are getting hammered about the Okuma. My experience for the small difference in price, if you don't fish a lot it will be addequate for your needs. The difference in price will only give you one or two day trips more if you get a penn single speed. Get what you want, you can always switch later. Now they will hammer me instead of you.!

Hammer... Indeed.

Ask for an opinion, then you should listen to the advice offered. It is ALL free advice Nate. It should be valued as such.

The only things that I wanna hammer are tuna and well maybe I should just skip that one...

This is the last Ummm "nail" I'll hammer...

Floral Labs likes this.
  13. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

idc i asked for an opinion and i got one i would rather be told that the okuma sucks than to be told that its great buy 10 of em if they suck i only want honest opinos good or bad thanks all for your input

14. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

i would agree with that but have had shyt e boat equipment fail on me so whats the point of goin fishing and losing 50 % of ur fish because your gear sucks or getting decent gear and doing much better idk back to the job search

15. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

o one other thing anybody know where to get grundens cheap NE canyons have some crap weather during the fall learned my lesson the first time bieng prepared this time

16. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

My advice is simply this " more fishing trips"

Spend your money fishing, not buying gear.

Me and you feel the exact same way tony.

17. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

o one other thing anybody know where to get grundens cheap NE canyons have some crap weather during the fall learned my lesson the first time bieng prepared this time

Bass pro sells a pvc bib that is killer for 40 bucks throw in some 10 dollar shrimp boots and you are in business.

Offshore Angler Rain Bibs for Men

18. papio

papio Senior Member

Check with Anglers Center for the Grudens. And on the Okumas, u can hear what others say about the products good or bad. Lots of folks have never even owned an okuma let alone used one and will tell you it's no good.

I don't know about the Okuma conventionals, but i do own a Salina SA-80 spinning reel and am very happy with it's performance and especially for the price I paid for it. If you're on a budget on monies and time, then it's really no brainer, go with value and upgrade accordingly. Good fishing!!

19. David Brown

David Brown Member

i have the Makaira 50w, 50 open top and 30w and they have been great reals. They are a much different product from a few years back. O yeah 5 year warranty.