2-Speed Chunking/Bottom Fishing Reel

Discussion in 'Reels' started by Jason4606, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I'd like to have a dedicated bottom fishing/chunking rod for GOM and I already have an unused TLD20 2spd w/80lb braid in the closet. Really want to stick w/ 2-spd, and it looks like the TLD20II ratings of 22lb @ strike and 30lb @ full would be pretty decent. But I also read NOT to fish these over 18-20lbs due to chance of frame breakage.:confused: This probably wouldn't be my first choice if I had it to do over again. But I already have it, so is it worthy of going on a new rod?

I'd rather just buy a rod and go fish. But I really don't want to crank down the drag to full and have half a reel fly through the guides on a brand new rod either!!

If I drop this TLD on eBay, what 2-speed reel would you get? Penn 16VSX looks pretty sporty... Also considering Tiagra, Daiwa SLD 20/30 2-spd, Avet HX/Pro30. What do you think?

Thanks!
    Jason

2. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I'd fish it and not worry too much. I think most of the frames broken have been the 50's. The TLD's have a good rep as reliable and durable.
    If on the other hand, it's gonna worry you, and you can get your $ back on the TLD, either the Tiagra or the Avet would be better reels.

Fred

3. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I would fish it too!

DBG

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Fish it and if it breaks you can get something BETTER :D

The Trynos looks real interesting

5. fishologist

fishologist Member

i have the tld but my favorite grouper rig is the pro exw 30 from avet holds a lot of line for chunkin and when you pair it with the mc saltwater special from savage rods you have a combo that cant be beat that is my set up

6. Savage Rods

Savage Rods Member

i have the tld but my favorite grouper rig is the pro exw 30 from avet holds a lot of line for chunkin and when you pair it with the mc saltwater special from savage rods you have a combo that cant be beat that is my set up

Chad is right. The MC Saltwater rod is a killer rod. And I can get you the 30W Avet to match up to it. That would be a heck of a combo.

7. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I would fish it, but if you decide to get a new reel the 16 VSX is a beast .......
    I have Avets and Tiagras in the same size range as the 16 VSX and they dont compare overall.

8. Jason4606

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate the input.

I might talk to the store again about returning the TLD... Since I paid sticker (with the braid though) it would go a long way toward a new reel. If they won't take it back then I'll likely just keep it.

I hear you on the Avets. I have a JX that I do like. My only issues so far have been the tightening of the handle when drag is increased (likely not a big deal with the 30 since I won't be trying to squeeze every possible ounce of drag out of it!) and the drag adjustment knob on my JX is SO easy to turn, I'm afraid to bump it!

Ronnie - With the 16VSX it says 1000yds of 16, but only 525 of 80lb braid. (I'd suspect more like 800-1000yds of solid 80lb braid) Regardless, I don't see any need to go larger than a 16 for this application, do you?

Thanks again!
    Jason

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate the input.

I might talk to the store again about returning the TLD... Since I paid sticker (with the braid though) it would go a long way toward a new reel. If they won't take it back then I'll likely just keep it.

I hear you on the Avets. I have a JX that I do like. My only issues so far have been the tightening of the handle when drag is increased (likely not a big deal with the 30 since I won't be trying to squeeze every possible ounce of drag out of it!) and the drag adjustment knob on my JX is SO easy to turn, I'm afraid to bump it!

Ronnie - With the 16VSX it says 1000yds of 16, but only 525 of 80lb braid. (I'd suspect more like 800-1000yds of solid 80lb braid) Regardless, I don't see any need to go larger than a 16 for this application, do you?

Thanks again!
    Jason

Jason

I have the 50vsx and it holds 600 yards of 130 hollow. I dont think you will get more than 600 yards of 80 lb braid on the 16vsx

d-a

10. bpitcher

bpitcher Senior Member

As far as I know, the TLD's that broke were being fished on a harness. So, if you don't fish harnesses I wouldn't worry too much about it. On the other hand... Avet makes a pretty nifty 30...

Brad

11. Jason4606

Still not sure which direction I'll go w/ TLD, but a few more general questions...

With the higher drag range of some of the newer small reels like 16VSX and Avet 30, is there any need to go bigger for this application? Are these 2 reels similar in physical size? Is 500yds of 80lb a good benchmark for this application?

I know 500yds is about 300yds more than I'll need for grouper ;) but honestly don't know what to expect head-boat fishing for big YFT. :eek:

Thanks again!
    Jason

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the big warsaw that was caught on the trip i was just on was caught in 750ft of water. so you'll need about 300 yards if you plan on doing that....and thats assuming about 10lbs of lead going straight down through the current.

13. bpitcher

bpitcher Senior Member

Still not sure which direction I'll go w/ TLD, but a few more general questions...

With the higher drag range of some of the newer small reels like 16VSX and Avet 30, is there any need to go bigger for this application? Are these 2 reels similar in physical size? Is 500yds of 80lb a good benchmark for this application?

I know 500yds is about 300yds more than I'll need for grouper ;) but honestly don't know what to expect head-boat fishing for big YFT. :eek:

Thanks again!
    Jason
    IMO, the usage of larger reels is more for capacity than anything now. Even that 50w and 35lbs of drag can seem inadequate when a big blue decides to come calling. I know Rick had one nearly dump a 50 at the floaters once.

My avet 30w is loaded with about 500yrds of 130 hollowcore (mostly for tuna fishing and heavy bottom fishing).

Brad

14. jig

jig Senior Member

I think the TLD 20 is lite for what you want. I had the 25, and when I put 20lbs drag on it, it was maxed out and I could hardly get the lever engaged. I went to a Accurate 665W.

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Your TLD is fine for Blackfin, private boats or about 85% of the the fish you'll run into deep, that other 15% is going to send you home crying because you didn't have a big enough gun.

16. bluedude

bluedude Senior Member

I bought it last year assuming Cals would be able to convert it to a lefty for me like they did with m 16S and my Tiagra16. I'm not terribly happy with the Tiagra, but Cals hasn't had enough requests for lefty 16VSXs and haven't started converting them. I kept the reel assuming they eventually would and then forgot about it. If they don't by now, I'm guessing they won't. It has to be too late to return it so I'll probably just sell it and buy me a lefty Accurate B2-665. Wish I already had the Accurate for this week. The Penn has never even been out of the box.

17. fishologist

fishologist Member

you might as well have a reel that can do both, bottom fishing for grouper and one that you can free line tuna with, i have never had a problem with my 25 even in a harness i put a aftermarket power handel on it from bass pro, but i have the avet 30 its a lot easier to crank in big fish, basically its a money issue other than the amount of line you can put on there when i go out my 30 is my reel of choice but the 25 is in the t-top as a backup in case i have to use it

18. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I have avet 30's that i use for this but if i was to do it over again i would buy a 665w and put a get strapped bracket on it..

19. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

I think some of the TLD 2speed have more usage drag than the single speed. I had a TLD25 when I first got into offshore and it would max out @ ~16-18# of strike. I bought TLD20II in 2003 from Campbells when the exchange was good and it would get 17# @ strike and low 22s at full. After doing Alan's tweak it gets about 20# @ strike and 26# at full.

I think the TLD 20 is lite for what you want. I had the 25, and when I put 20lbs drag on it, it was maxed out and I could hardly get the lever engaged. I went to a Accurate 665W.

20. jig

jig Senior Member

txseadog, you are right, but I still had same problem with my TLD 30II (I actually went from the TLD25 to the TLD30II before moving on to the 665W. They all have roughly same capacity with 300yds 80# spectra with about 100-150yds 60#mono topshot). When I got the higher drag I wanted, I felt like I was gonna break the lever getting it out of freespool. No complaints about either TLD as such, but for it was a real effort to engage spool at the drag settings I wanted for my 60# reel. Plus, if I ever wanted to use 80#mono topshot (or even 100#), I would still be fine with the 665W.

Jason, my primary criteria was weight; I did not want a heavy Tiagra/SLD/Penn type reel. Second was drag ratings. Only two reels I found that met both was the Accurate 665W and Avet HX. I went with Accurate because 1)higher drag specs, 2) the line capacity was right between the Avet HX and HXW, and 3) I loved the accurate short throw conversion option. It was worth the extra money to get exactly what I wanted, for that line class.

I am not an Accurate lover, BTW. My 40# class rig is Avet LX6/3, and my spinner is a Spheros 14000. These are my 3 primary rigs, and each was best at what I needed for each purpose. I posted for years looking for the best bottom fishing/ chunking reel, when they finally came out with the 665W, it was exactly what I was looking for.

One of my many posts on the quest: Saltwater Fishing Discussion Board Including Inshore Fishing, Offshore Fishing, Saltwater Fly Fishing and Kayak Fishing