2 days of frustration

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Yesterdays trip saw just a touch of surface activity, and was extremely slow on the tuna, but very productive on the big stripers and alligator blues, so at least plenty of activity and excitement. We did manage to get one solid bite, but an Owner st-66 treble straightened out, yet another gear failure. That was it in the way of tuna bites, and a nasty ride back across the bay to top it off. I am still in Green Harbor and wont be able to post much until Tuesday, after 7 days in a row.

Today was even worse, in that the morning was extremely slow again. Switched gears and actually put the big rods out and the outriggers down for Al and his son Joseph, trolled all over creation trying to find a bite. The worst part was the fish were there, marking down deep all day and not much in the way of any bites for the fleet as far as we could tell. The afternoon saw TONS of fish of all sizes, up on the surface sort of rolling and jumping, but not crashing. Saw one boat hook up on the spinners right in front of me, and at that point I had enough and we tried to no avail to hook one on a spinner, but 2 hours of chasing them around with no love forced me to head in with no love.

I guess it is good in that I saw more fish today on top than I have all season, and couldnt buy a bite, while the first bunch ended in blood on the deck every time out....hope this means its about to get even sillier......

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

hopefully we kick it off with some monsters on thursday

3. Tattoo's Tackle

Tattoo's Tackle Junior member

Dom,

Tried calling you back in the afternoon, wish you would have picked up.

It went off the same place we talked about as the day before, just an hour later.

The sea pup took another victim! 64 long with 46 girth. Corey whipped him in udner 20 minutes. Will post some pictures shortly.

4. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Yesterdays trip saw just a touch of surface activity, and was extremely slow on the tuna, but very productive on the big stripers and alligator blues, so at least plenty of activity and excitement. We did manage to get one solid bite, but an Owner st-66 treble straightened out, yet another gear failure. That was it in the way of tuna bites, and a nasty ride back across the bay to top it off. I am still in Green Harbor and wont be able to post much until Tuesday, after 7 days in a row.

Today was even worse, in that the morning was extremely slow again. Switched gears and actually put the big rods out and the outriggers down for Al and his son Joseph, trolled all over creation trying to find a bite. The worst part was the fish were there, marking down deep all day and not much in the way of any bites for the fleet as far as we could tell. The afternoon saw TONS of fish of all sizes, up on the surface sort of rolling and jumping, but not crashing. Saw one boat hook up on the spinners right in front of me, and at that point I had enough and we tried to no avail to hook one on a spinner, but 2 hours of chasing them around with no love forced me to head in with no love.

I guess it is good in that I saw more fish today on top than I have all season, and couldnt buy a bite, while the first bunch ended in blood on the deck every time out....hope this means its about to get even sillier......

WELCOME TO MY DAY OUT LAST THURSDAY! Thank you for posting this, it's good to know that even the Greats have their off days. You'll get back into 'em.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Tuna popping is like hunting. You have better chance when you prepare well and you still need luck. I am lucky enough we landed tuna on my all four popping trip this year, but I got skunked 5 times before I finally landed a bluefin on poppers on sixth trip last year.
    No fish on my trip only makes me hungrier. :)

6. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

No fish on my trip only makes me hungrier. :)

Exactly my thoughts Kilsong! Dom, we had a blast even though no tuna died in our hands yesterday. I will be back next Thursday with Bret et al to get revenge:)

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

. I will be back next Thursday with Bret et al to get revenge:)
    Al, I didn't know you are coming on Thursday. I arranged to go with Bret on Thurdsday with other two fishermen. That is OK, I can go Friday. I booked Sunday also depending on availability. Dom told me new big body of bluefin moved into the areas when you fished yesterday. I'd like to fish as many as possible before water temp goes up too high.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

kil i think our boat is dan, al, my dad and myself - are you going with rich on thursday?

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

kil i think our boat is dan, al, my dad and myself - are you going with rich on thursday?
    There must be some misunderstanding. I thought I go with you and drive for you. So I asked Angelo and Yong to go with me. No problem I'll go on Friday instead. Too bad for you as I bring luck on every trip this year. :) If weather is bad on Friday and good on Thursday, I can arrange another boat on Thursday.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

any way we can get 2 boats??? are jimmy and rich booked?

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

any way we can get 2 boats??? are jimmy and rich booked?
    One guy wants to go with me, but he can go only on Friday. Anyway, i'll check with Jimmy the Greek first for the availability on Thursday.

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

sorry for the misunderstanding, i didnt think you were going on thursday

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

kil, if you can get a ride we can call this 'bluefin popfest 1" ;)

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

sorry for the misunderstanding, i didnt think you were going on thursday
    No problem, Bret. I promised you to go fishing with you on July 2nd. I just tried to keep my promise. :)
    Yong lost a Shibuki to a whale on last Thursday. See any whale has a Shibuke on its back. :)

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

kil, if you can get a ride we can call this 'bluefin popfest 1" ;)
    That is a good idea. Let Chip joins the fest. How about we collect $50 each boat and the money goes to the Capt who lands biggest bluefin on his boat to make things interesting. :)

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

kil i just tried calling you, give me a call when you are available

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

That is a good idea. Let Chip joins the fest. How about we collect $50 each boat and the money goes to the Capt who lands biggest bluefin on his boat to make things interesting. :)

sounds like a great idea. north carolina can have jigfest, green harbor can have popfest

18. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Another day of horrid conditions. No better than 100 yard visibility on the tuna grounds, wind against tide in the rips, NE winds sustained at 14-15 knots with gusts to 21, and hordes of hungry blues and bass to get in the way of the tuna rolling with them.....Had a great bunch of new guys on todays trip, from bookfishingtrips.com, and it was a great day in nasty crap due to their enthusiasm and passion, and hard work..... These guys cast their fool heads off. Andrew, Jonathan, Chris, and Peter, thanks for making a tough day an awful lot of fun.

Chris came tight on a big fish, which unfortunately snapped his line. The take was impressive, and he laid into the fish, but it was ripping away to the left, and popped the line. They did get to see a few fish crashing right in the rip while we were tooling up on the stripers, so they are pretty much new members of the afflicted core of nuts already into this fishery.

So The incredible hot streak I had going has officially grown cold, 3 in a row with no blood....but I am still happy that under very difficult conditions, we hooked a fish on two of the three. The best part of this sport to me is that even on days when you get no fish, if you see them and get a bite or two, it is still a pretty good day. Those are the days that keep most coming back rabid. Its the fish I lose that haunt my world, not the ones I catch.

Back at it on Tuesday, cancelled tommorrows trip due to the fog and SE winds I know are coming. Today's forecast was for 5-10 winds, partly cloudy skies, and seas less than 2 feet....weathermen have the greatest jobs in the world, always wrong, and still paid weekly. I would love to work between the 40-60 percentiles, you are never wrong.

19. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Dom,

Tried calling you back in the afternoon, wish you would have picked up.

It went off the same place we talked about as the day before, just an hour later.

The sea pup took another victim! 64 long with 46 girth. Corey whipped him in udner 20 minutes. Will post some pictures shortly.

Dude, you guys need to open your eyes, LOL. We watched you hook that pig right off our bow. That school materialized right in front of you, and you guys set up perfectly on em. At least someone came tight.

Those fish absolutely inhale the tattoo plugs, heres a shot from last year of a 60 incher that tried to slurp the wrong meal down.....
    View attachment 7596

Attached Files:

20. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

Captain Dom,
    It was a great and wild time with you on the water today. the season is still young and can not wait till the next time.... :)