2 assist hooks on 1 ring

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by baldurs390, Mar 8, 2009.

1. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

can you fish 2 assist hooks on one solid rings? does effect the jiggin? hook up? should i fish 2 rings? or just fish 1 assist hook?

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

The answer is yes you can fish 2 hooks on one ring, one on each side of the leader knot. However you risk limb when a fish comes on board flipping and flopping with a free stinger flying all over the place. You also have a high possibility of a double hookup. With one fish hooked up he is shaking his head and other fish are trying to steal the jig from him and gets hooked up also.

3. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

I've found that double hookups sometimes leads to loosing both fish. I only use one now.

4. gman

gman Senior Member

I highly recommend using one large wide gap assist hook instead of using two for a couple of reasons

1. Generally two hooks does more damage to the fish
    2. The second hook will end up in your hand somehow
    2. During the jigging motion two hooks have a tendency to foul each other

Using a larger single 1/3-1/2 way down the jig will end up giving you a solid hookset

5. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

thanks for the imput. i have 25 jigs that im rigging for my trip on florida and i wanted to find out some senior members :) and gman btw sick jigging thread

6. gman

gman Senior Member

also dont pre rig every jig with hooks and split rings. Just keep all your terminal tackle separate the whole benefit to the whole split ring set up is only changing out jig when you want to. So when you tie to your solid ring or swivel attach the hook. Each jig doesnt need a hook and split ring pre attached its a waste of money and time IMHO

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

All of my jigs are pre rigged as all jigs must be retied after a decent fish or risk loosing a good fish.

8. baldurs390

baldurs390 Senior Member

hmm every has there own ways

9. etan

etan Senior Member

I agree with Snagged. I replace any used assist hooks after every trip. Since I make my own assist hooks its cheap and easy.

10. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

we rig our jigs at ocean tackle international with 2 assist hooks at this time. the reasoning for this is that some anglers prefer to use 2 assist hooks on traditional jigs and some use 3 on diamond jigs. so by packaging our jigs with 2 hooks those that prefer to fish with just one assist hook will have a spare assist hook when they need one and those that fish 2 assist hooks can fish them right out of the package. we feel that by including the additional assist hook we create a better value to our customer....rick

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Rick,
    You hit the nail on the head by providing 2 assist hooks. I only use one. The last few batches of OTI jigs I bought that had 2 assist hooks. I only like to use one, so I removed the second one for replacements when the first one gets chewed up. Kevlar assist cord is strong. I've caught over twenty blackfins on one assist hook without replacing. However, if it looks frayed I suggest to switch out as the big fish always hit when your assist cord is worn.:mad:

I see people who keep jigs and assist hooks seperate, and those that don't. I think both methods are fine just as long as you get into a habit that is comfortable to you.

I keep my jigs rigged up with the assist hooks on the jig. I know it doesn't take long to put on the assist hook, but fumbling around locating the bag with assist hooks can be costly during a hot bite. I prefer to have my jigs
    (water ready). I store them in separate compartments to keep from tangling up. I also put a clear one inch piece of plastic tubing on the tip on the assist hook. That's good and bad. If I forget to pull off the plastic tubing, I only get to feel how big the fish would have been if I had removed it.:mad:

12. gman

gman Senior Member

we rig our jigs at ocean tackle international with 2 assist hooks at this time. the reasoning for this is that some anglers prefer to use 2 assist hooks on traditional jigs and some use 3 on diamond jigs. so by packaging our jigs with 2 hooks those that prefer to fish with just one assist hook will have a spare assist hook when they need one and those that fish 2 assist hooks can fish them right out of the package. we feel that by including the additional assist hook we create a better value to our customer....rick

I think what your doing adds a lot of value because they can chose what to do

13. gman

gman Senior Member

All of my jigs are pre rigged as all jigs must be retied after a decent fish or risk loosing a good fish.

You use a different hook every fish or you re tie your knots after every fish

14. jig

jig Senior Member

I retie my jig to main line after every fish also. And, I retie after 30 minutes of jigging even if no fish. I think the jigging wears on the line, so I don't take any chances.

15. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

You use a different hook every fish or you re tie your knots after every fish

I do both. In general when I loose an assist hook the jig has gone with it. :eek:

Rick,
    I noticed that about the OTI jigs and thank you for it.