1st Custom Rod Question

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by chf1949, Oct 29, 2009.

1. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

O.K. .... Ordering my first jiggin' rod. What is the consensus on having your name (or some other i.d.) on a rod? Personally, I don't care for the idea... that's just me; but, is there a practical reason for doing so?

Is it an issue on group trips to be able to prove one's ownership of a rod, insurance purposes, etc., etc.

I'm looking for any input as obviously you can tell i don't know squat....

Maybe I'm overthinking this thing, and have a bad case of rectal-cranial inversion.

Thanks for any and all (constructive :)) input! ..... butch

2. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Its easy enough to do if you want it done! I can do them pretty easily as a decal. Some say it hurts resale value because it shows it as belonging to someone else. I can get decals with 1-3 lines of text, some guys had me put decals that said:
    "Custom made for XXXXXXXXXX" then my company name and location as the other 2 lines, others have had me put a nickname on it.

If you fish party boats, it may help prevent growing kegs and walking!

It's YOUR rod, get what YOU want on it! No one says you have to have it on the rod!

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

everyone is different.
    some guys want names. View attachment 9146
    some want fish.
    some want their favorite team.
    some want wedding dates.
    i have done all kinds of stuff...

and then..BLACK is always popular. View attachment 9145

its custom to YOU..get what YOU want.

Attached Files:

• 074.JPG
      074.JPG
      File size:
      134 KB
      Views:
    • 031.JPG
      031.JPG
      File size:
      57.8 KB
      Views:
  4. silky23

silky23 Senior Member

Gotta agree w/ Paul on this one. Do what is visually appealing to you. the custom Paul (JPR) is building me right now has no name on it but it's custom to me. Really don't think it's going to come close to looking production :). folks will steal things regardless if your name's on it or not, trust me, I've seen it first hand. Hope this helps, who's building for you?

5. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

Silky, Thanks for the input.

Paul at JPR got the order. It will be a simple 600gm OTI basic jigger design, stock color, gold highlight, to match a Stella with 80# braid I plan to attach. I don't have the opportunity (need), or experience, to spend a ton of money on a really tricked-out, custom dimensioned, rod ... just going simple for this first effort.. I only get to fish once or twice a year. MAYBE in the future I will have the need/necessity, and knowledge based on experience, to have built a rod that is more specialized and designed for a specific type/target of fishing. Right now, for my very first jig rod, I just want to get something decent so I can get out on the water and not be under gunned..... butch

6. FisherDan

FisherDan Senior Member

...having your name on it may let an honest person return it if it ever got lost.

-FisherDan

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Silky, Thanks for the input.

Paul at JPR got the order. It will be a simple 600gm OTI basic jigger design, stock color, gold highlight, to match a Stella with 80# braid I plan to attach. I don't have the opportunity (need), or experience, to spend a ton of money on a really tricked-out, custom dimensioned, rod ... just going simple for this first effort.. I only get to fish once or twice a year. MAYBE in the future I will have the need/necessity, and knowledge based on experience, to have built a rod that is more specialized and designed for a specific type/target of fishing. Right now, for my very first jig rod, I just want to get something decent so I can get out on the water and not be under gunned..... butch

You can always engrave your name on the gimble aluminum or plastic. If you ever sell it there cheap and inexpensive to replace

d-a

8. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

You can always engrave your name on the gimble aluminum or plastic. If you ever sell it there cheap and inexpensive to replace

d-a

Thanks to everyone for their input; and d-a, I like that idea! That is what I like about this site... practical knowledge from those who have 'been there, done that'. ... butch

9. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

My next custom rod will be all black. Black blank, guides, thread, handle, reel seat. Keep it simple. Just need to find a source for an all black Accurate BX2.

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

11. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Thanks D-A. Didn't know they had them. Ain't cheap, $619.00. I found a place that will sell the BX2-600 for $500, but in silver.

Charkbait has them is a nice red too. Kinda purrrddddyyyy.

12. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

d-a & John,

U guys wouldn't be suggesting using a BX2-50 BOSS MAGNUM as a 'starter' jigging reel would you? For me that would be over the top,.. wait... it is still a whole lot less than a Stella 20K...:eek: :eek: :eek: :p:p

13. d-a

d-a Senior Member

d-a & John,

U guys wouldn't be suggesting using a BX2-50 BOSS MAGNUM as a 'starter' jigging reel would you? For me that would be over the top,.. wait... it is still a whole lot less than a Stella 20K...:eek: :eek: :eek: :p:p

Probably not, I actually prefer Star drag reels for jigging over lever drags, however the lever drags have there place and I spend @98% of my time at a different place:D .

d-a