1985 Scarab 30'er

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by SkeeterRonnie, Mar 28, 2008.

1. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

one of my friends up here is looking at a Scarab with twin Yami 200 HPDI's. the motors are 2001 year model. I know the name SCARAB is good, but are there any known complaints with those type boats... he was asking me.. And all i could think about was.. LOOKS COOL.. :) 180 gallons of fuel may be able to hit the 100 mile mark? any words of wisdom I need to pass on. it has an ARMSTRONG transom support? it seems everything pump, and lots of extras have been replaced(new)... i like the layout, but it has a small cabin where you lose the deck... Maybe some rails and nonskid on top of that would make a good casting platform???

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Ronnie, there were some problems with some of the 80s scarabs.. they had some soft floor issues.. I would stomp around the deck and see if there are any bad spots.. You might try posting up on the hull truth or do a search and see what those guys have to say.. Words of wisdom: its a 23yr old go fast boat.. Most guys run the crap out of them.. Check the structural integrity of everything on that boat: T-top, console/deck joints, make sure all hatches close properly, look in every inspection port you can find(use a flashlight and mirror if necessary).... especially the transom area.. Check bilge pumps, flip every switch and see what works and what doesnt, trim tabs, running lights, electronics....etc....depending on price a marine survey might be the ticket if your buddy is not too boat savvy......
    my grady is the same year model, and I'm the 4th owner.. I have had to do several Gs$$$$ worth of fiberglass work... but I couldnt replace it for what I have in it..

3. SkeeterRonnie

thanks Bret. excellent advice! i passed it on to him.

4. Bret

Bret Senior Member

thanks Bret. excellent advice! i passed it on to him.

No problemo Ronnie, I hope he is adept at fiberglass work and 12v wiring.. and an all around good problem solver, if he's not,,he will be in short order.. ( That is, if he gets the boat) ;)

5. bighead

bighead Senior Member

I don't think he'll get 100 mile range out of that boat. Maybe more like 70 allowing a little reserve. He'll need a few friends to fish with otherwise that gas bill will be a killer for going snapper/grouper/aj fishing. bert

6. SkeeterRonnie

oh, I am sure he will have some friends willing to help pay for fuel :) may even tlk him into getting a fuel bladder for this fall :) He wants to do some Hoo fishing this fall, so if he gets it- may have to try some garden trips :)