360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my dads 1965 Penn Senator 9/0 which didnt see much fishing action when it was new, but was used for flying kites when I was a kid! It sat for 25 years and then I spooled it and caught my first Albacore. The star drag was pretty sticky, once you turned it up a bit it was very hard to unscrew!

I had the reel serviced locally but from what I can see it was just greased up a bit. It definately helped but now I'm thinking it might be worth stripping it down and replacing the drag washers. Is there anything else I should be looking at and do smoothdrag make something for this reel as its an old model?

I'd like to keep fishing with it even if its kept as a backup as I love its large line capacity though I prefer lever arm drags.

Thanks

·
1,718 Posts
Did you get the albacore off Malta? I would like to see some reports from the Mediterranean.

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This week will post some reports. They are found mostly on the West coast from around 5nm out, in that respect we are quite lucky that we dont have to go too far to the fishing grounds.

·
35 Posts
Smooth Drag has carbontex washers for th 9/0 and if you put those in with some cal's or shimano drag grease you will be good to go. I did that with a 9/0 and can pull 30-35lbs of drag before they get sticky. Much above that and something else on the reel will break.

·
453 Posts
just an opinion. carbontex washers from smoothdrag.com are great! the other green and black "smoothies" i do not recommend at all. and comparing carbontex to ht-100, i would call them equal. with a coat of cal's grease, either carbon fiber drag washer should give you a lifetime of service. alan

·
1,718 Posts
This week will post some reports. They are found mostly on the West coast from around 5nm out, in that respect we are quite lucky that we dont have to go too far to the fishing grounds.

I look forward to the posts. Is Malta part of the EU?

·
1,718 Posts
Looks like you may have a new member applying soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts