360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what line does everyone use for their Stella 18000SW's? Just got 2 new ones and not sure how I want to spool them up. Was thinking 80lb Jerry Brown.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where's the best/cheapest place to get the Daiwa bb? I've heard alot about it, but have never used it. Guess I should give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
Depending on how much drag you are planning on using I would put on 65 lb.
I have 65 on one of my reels and 80 ono another. Especially into the wind I can cast a lot farther with the smaller diameter. I don't plan on running more than 25 lb. of drag on a spinner.....

·
5,457 Posts
why are you guys casting marked lines?

The question should be why are you not? :D :D Even Japanese casting line has marks on it.

d-a

·
5,457 Posts
But they are not full colored every X amount of feet.

some are but your right most are not. The diawia boat braid works great for casting and it keeps you honest on your distance

d-a

·
48 Posts
No it doesn't! So you telling me if i've a marked line saying I've 100m line out that my lure landed at 100m? No way, it is less unless you cast flat horizontal!

So to me using the mark line to know the casting distance is of no use. Unless you have a calculator that muliplies the line out distance by a factor!

·
5,457 Posts
No it doesn't! So you telling me if i've a marked line saying I've 100m line out that my lure landed at 100m? No way, it is less unless you cast flat horizontal!

So to me using the mark line to know the casting distance is of no use. Unless you have a calculator that muliplies the line out distance by a factor!

Thats why I said it keeps you honest. I also guess you wait till the lure lands before you close the bail too

d-a

·
48 Posts
Thats why I said it keeps you honest. I also guess you wait till the lure lands before you close the bail too

d-a

This gives you an overestimate of the distance. That is why some unrealistic anglers think their lure has landed 100m when they have 100m line out and many times I've read anglers using a line counter on the reel to cast and check their distances.

The reason is when you cast the lure travels in a parabolic curve and the line out of the reel is the path of the parabola and this doesn't indicate the range!

Actually how far do you reckon you can chuck a 100g lure using 80lb line using an 8ft popping rod? I've read some distances achived and to match that I need a bloddy full tournament pendulum to send that popper that far!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts