18000SW

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by rookie06, Feb 6, 2009.

1. rookie06

rookie06 Junior member

So what line does everyone use for their Stella 18000SW's? Just got 2 new ones and not sure how I want to spool them up. Was thinking 80lb Jerry Brown.

2. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

PE8 Daiwa Boat Braid or Daiwa Samurai Braid / great braid line for casting

3. rookie06

rookie06 Junior member

Where's the best/cheapest place to get the Daiwa bb? I've heard alot about it, but have never used it. Guess I should give it a try.

4. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

I bought my Daiwa BB & Samurai braid from anglerscenter.com & from eBay seller

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I have 65lb tuff line on my 18000 for casting to YFT

6. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Depending on how much drag you are planning on using I would put on 65 lb.
    I have 65 on one of my reels and 80 ono another. Especially into the wind I can cast a lot farther with the smaller diameter. I don't plan on running more than 25 lb. of drag on a spinner.....

8. jacktrevally

jacktrevally Member

Loaded mine with 300m of sunline pe 80lb.

9. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

I'm gonna go with the Daiwa Boat Braid 80lb on my 18000 with the Tuna Sniper.......

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

why are you guys casting marked lines?

11. Hardon 22'

Hardon 22' Member

More or so because I got a really good deal on an 1800 spool........

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

why are you guys casting marked lines?

The question should be why are you not? :D :D Even Japanese casting line has marks on it.

d-a

13. rtran

rtran Senior Member

But they are not full colored every X amount of feet.

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

But they are not full colored every X amount of feet.

some are but your right most are not. The diawia boat braid works great for casting and it keeps you honest on your distance

d-a

15. jacktrevally

jacktrevally Member

No it doesn't! So you telling me if i've a marked line saying I've 100m line out that my lure landed at 100m? No way, it is less unless you cast flat horizontal!

So to me using the mark line to know the casting distance is of no use. Unless you have a calculator that muliplies the line out distance by a factor!

16. d-a

d-a Senior Member

No it doesn't! So you telling me if i've a marked line saying I've 100m line out that my lure landed at 100m? No way, it is less unless you cast flat horizontal!

So to me using the mark line to know the casting distance is of no use. Unless you have a calculator that muliplies the line out distance by a factor!

Thats why I said it keeps you honest. I also guess you wait till the lure lands before you close the bail too

d-a

17. jacktrevally

jacktrevally Member

Thats why I said it keeps you honest. I also guess you wait till the lure lands before you close the bail too

d-a

This gives you an overestimate of the distance. That is why some unrealistic anglers think their lure has landed 100m when they have 100m line out and many times I've read anglers using a line counter on the reel to cast and check their distances.

The reason is when you cast the lure travels in a parabolic curve and the line out of the reel is the path of the parabola and this doesn't indicate the range!

Actually how far do you reckon you can chuck a 100g lure using 80lb line using an 8ft popping rod? I've read some distances achived and to match that I need a bloddy full tournament pendulum to send that popper that far!!!

18. fishor

fishor Member

I dun care how far i cast. As long i can reach the reef where the GTs are, its a good cast. Hehe.