12 hr Pelican report

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by etan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. etan

etan Senior Member

Loaded up at 6:00 with a full load of vacationers and ran to the Southern area. John is in Costa Rica for the week so Marvin Horner, the alternate capt. ran the trip. He used to be the Capt. on the Kingfisher but left in late 90's to work in South Padre. Came back when the Bridge collapsed down there and worked on the Scat Cat. He just got a spot at DSH this summer. Good Capt. and will do a good job at DSH.

We anchore over structure at 9:15 and started snapper fishing. I knew it would be good because a tourist dropped a snapper rig down while we were anchoring and trolled 2 keepers when we moved forward. Using a River to Sea knife jig I caught 2 20" snapper on the first 2 drops. I caught 2 more keepers and we had a boat limit and left at 9:45. It was so hot that I could only fish about 10 minutes before I went inside to cool off.

The next stop was a beeliner and AJ spot. For me it was drop the knife, catch an undersize AJ and go cool off. Did that for a long time and decide I better get some beeliners. 2 drops, 1 beeliner, 1 bait loss and time to move. The beeliners were good size, wish I had fished more for them but I thought I'd catch a keeper AJ.

2 shrimp boats on the horizon so we ran to the one anchored. Everyone on one side drifting sardines. There were a lot of bonita and an occasional blackfin in the chum. No one knew how to follow their fish so it was a real circle ----! I picked up a couple of boneheads and then moved to the pulpet where i could cast forward and drift my bait away from the mass of lines. Decky had put a shark line out and left it right next to me. It went off and I thought not me. He came back and hooked up just as I hooked a blackfin. We danced around a while avoiding a tangle and gaffed mine. 4 guys pulled on the shark using my butt plate and they finally landed an 8' Silky. Everyone watched the fight so we lost the tuna. Went back to the shrimper but no luck. We ran inshore to the one dragging and set up over the net to start our drift. I snuck a bait out and caught another blackfin. We fished another 10 minutes and it was time to head home. I used a small ringed circle with about 6' of 50# flouro and one of the boat rods. I didn't want to risk my spectra in that mess.

It was a lot of fun except for the heat. Watching the kids and women fight their fish is a blast. I didn't fish very hard but just finished eatinf fresh sushimi and mama is happy. We finished with 8 blackfin, 3 small AJ, 2 chicken dolphin, 1 3' dolphin, snapper limits, and almost limits of beeliners. Great trip but too hot for a guy who went on Medicare today!

2. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Great report Nate!! Happy bday!

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Hey Nate, sounds like a good trip to me.. Happy Bday!

4. etan

etan Senior Member

Its not my birthday until the 24th but medicare starts the first of the month you turn whatever that age is. Damn I'm still 35 inside, what happened?

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I happened to be at the computer around 6:30 and saw the fish laid out on the web cam. It was a mess of fish. If I would have known you were on the trip, I'd saved a web cam pic for you.

Medicare is good thing. It's just the idea of knowing your old enough to get it that is horrifying. I'll worry about being horrified when the time comes. Don't plan on it paying for everything. I've got some bills on my desk right now for some relatives that will send shockwaves down your spine.

6. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Thanks for the report Etan! Someone suggested getting you strippers for youir birthday!! Can you handle it, or should we send them to Jerry?

Tom - DeepBlueGulf

7. etan

etan Senior Member

Better send the strippers to Jerry. I'm so whipped I told my wife what you said and she nixed the strippers for me. Besides I got so hot out there today I thought I might have the big one. I'm going back to night fishing at the floaters.

As far as medicare costs I already know because I handle everything for my mother.

8. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Good report Nate....glad you caught some fish. Sounds like you got some good jigging in....nice snappers.

Tom offers strippers for your birthday so he can a free look....lol....that's just Tom.

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Thanks for the report Etan! Someone suggested getting you strippers for youir birthday!! Can you handle it, or should we send them to Jerry?

Tom - DeepBlueGulf

Tom, are you trying to kill Jerry? Maybe I'll take him to Mardi Gras.

10. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Tom - DeepBlueGulf

Tom,
    Just make sure they meet my standards.

11. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Great report Nate and nice having lunch with you in Port A!

Those CC guys have some high standards too! LOL

12. DeepBlueGulf

High standards? Wait till Mr. Bill posts the pictures of our "standards"...

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

High standards? Wait till Mr. Bill posts the pictures of our "standards"...

The CC TUNAHEADS board of directors have decided that below is the Minimum Standard. After eating breakfast for many years the decision has finally been agreed upon. I always wondered why they meet every Saturday year in and out. Fish talk only goes so far. I've only met with them two times and below was pretty much the general discussion.

Attached Files:

14. DeepBlueGulf

Very well put Mr. Bill! Thank you!

Tom - DBG

15. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Good Lord, MrBill. Don't do that. Old Uncle Russ just stood up at his desk wheezing and gasping and making low moaning noises, and my co-workers tried to use a defibrilator on me!

And it helped a lot.

Russ

16. etan

etan Senior Member

My post went somewhere but I don't know where. I particularly liked the Okla-----homa shirt.

17. STx Fisherman

Damn! I love the foreign girls!!!

18. STx Fisherman

We may have to have an "emergency" breakfast before Saturday....lots to talk about...:D

19. etan

etan Senior Member

Wine and sushimi for happy hour and grilled tuna for supper, life is good. I'll be at Floyd's Saturday for breakfast.

20. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

MrBill and DBG,
    You may send one of each over for testing.:D