360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Capt. Fred, Illy is a damn fisherman and a half, plus some. You put him on top or even close, he will bring them over the rail for ya. Post up some color, if all goes well.
Will do, i'm usually working the deck as well, but for this is just a fishing trip, so might even take the camera out of the wheelhouse.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It was a tough day for all of us on the boat. The bite was super slow and the current was ripping. The current was making it difficult to stay vertical and work my jigs properly but when I was able to I started catching. I got 1 amberjack that was about an inch short on the jig, I asked hyperman to stretch it but he said no 😂. I also caught a 4-6ft sand bar on my slow pitch that I got all the way to the surface but I don’t think we were able to get a photo. He did however get a pic of me fighting the Gulf of Mexico for 10 mins that, which was a great learning experience on how much pressure my gear can take. I caught a bunch of those rare and elusive American red snapper.
I went on the trip with 2 rods and came back with 1.5. When I was speed jigging on the second pitch I got hooked up and thought I might of been hung up on the boat so one lift and pop the rod snapped 🤦🏻‍♂️
On our last stop the mates threw out a large live grunt on the 80w and a minute or so later it got inhaled. The hook was set and I jumped on the rod and brought it to the boat. It ended up being a 34lb amber jack which was the only keeper of the trip.

Probably one of the toughest trips I’ve had out there on the water. A lot of bad luck but I still had fun and would do it again.

Food Water Seafood Fish Animal product

Wood Fish Gas Seafood Household cleaning supply

Measuring instrument Gas Machine Gadget Cable

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
There are no bad days, maybe some that are not so great but thats it. Excellent report, you had set out for a monster AJ. You still came home with a good one, that's a success in its own right. God Bless our beloved GOM and those beautiful American Red Snapper, we are extremely lucky to have this fishery in our backyard.

·
Super Moderator
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was a semi-dressed weight, so you should claim 37-38lbs ; [[ I am just home now, had some meetings about tuna season this morning, i'll check the pics shortly.

·
Super Moderator
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@hyperman what's the earliest I can get there so I can get the ideal spot to jig. I'm thinking port side in the stern is probably best
Sorry, i didn;t check 360 after l left home. Just FYI: we don;t assign spots. Welcome to put rods in a holder at a location, but this trip kinda proved that you can't count of being in the right spot till we start fishing, the lines were going out 45 degrees off the starboard bow this time around.
Attached is a pic of Illy's shy sandbar's tail, , then captain Jake trying to talk Illy out of pulling the plug out of the floor of the gulf of mexico.
The other pic is my summer ride, will be running mid week snapper trips on this 2018 36' Twin-Vee to help out Chad in getting more charters, poor guy works during the week ; )
Water Sky Cloud Shorts Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Water Boat Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Vehicle Naval architecture
Water Sky Cloud Boat Watercraft

1 - 17 of 17 Posts