1100 pound mako fouchon?

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by bigscrnman, Feb 26, 2009.

1. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I just took a peek a rod n reel and saw a report of an 1100+ pound mako hitting the dock! Anyone heard about this? What boat/capt? Anyone seen pics yet?:eek: :eek:

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

havent seen it yet but i did see an aerial pic of a 600lber from capt scot(paradise-outfitters) while recordind a tv show. the mako was hooked up on capt eddies boat that was near them. the fish landed right behind their boat. heres the link

Flying Mako - Part 3..here we go again...again - 2CoolFishing

3. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Seems like the mako bite is going off @ Venice......

4. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I just hope it holds out for one more week until I get my shot!TUNAKO

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

post up some pics dewayne, i wont be too far behind you bro. 3 more weeks. who are you going out with?

6. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Brian, going with strike zone, they have a 55ft sporty and my friends who are going are "executive" fishermen...HAHAHA! They would never cut it on some of the boats I have been out on! Will post the pics soon as I get back, will have a couple of days before leave for CR and a week in paradise with the family!!!!!

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

they must be spoiled. lol. hopefully you catch em. i will be going out with eddie. last time out with paradise outfitters i saw a giant hammerhead swirling around the back of hunters 32' twin vee which was about 200 ft away. the head was as big as the back of his boat.

8. rparham82

rparham82 Member

There was also a 722# mako that was caught out of Venice the same day. I know a guy at the dock who confirmed the Venice fish. I've heard about the Fouchon fish but have yet to see pictures. Hope they hang around, I'm fishing Venice Mon. or Tues. (Whatever day I can sneak out of work and arouse the least suspision)

9. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

I saw pics of the 722 on bloodydecks, was in venice last feb when they brought in one that was 775, that thing was HUGE! They had it tied to the side and took it out of the water with a forklift! Was down fishing with Damon Mcknight. One of the roughest days I have ever spent on the water and Damon still put us on fish-look forward to fishing with him again!

10. saw1665

saw1665 Junior member

I have caught several of the big gals but dream is one over a grand so def want to see photos.

I have tied into several push the grand and had them snap flying gaff ropes and about sink boat,
    To me its the ultimate beast and I tip my hat to them,

Captain Scott

11. rparham82

rparham82 Member

Got a pic of the 1149# Fouchon mako. The picture does't really do the fish justice but if you look the sharks dorsal is as high as the standing guys waist.

Attached Files:

12. gman

gman Senior Member

we tournament fish for Makos and threshers up here all summer long, a fish of that size is an amazing feat as the world record set off Mass in 2001 is 1221

You need a lot of skill AND Luck for a beast that big closets we ever got was 550 back when i was a teenager

13. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

You need a lot of skill AND Luck for a beast that big closets we ever got was 550 back when i was a teenager[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the luck part is true. Lucky this thing did'nt get really pissed off and kill everyone in the boat then eat the boat!!!

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

what a monster

15. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

Yeah, the luck part is true. Lucky this thing did'nt get really pissed off and kill everyone in the boat then eat the boat!!![/QUOTE]

that's my feelings exactly!!! fishing the floaters we have managed to hook up to 3 mako's that were over 250 lbs. 2 of the 3 fish almost jumped into the boat. they are a beautiful creature but as far as i am concerned i hope that i never get another one hooked up on my boat or on a boat while i am fishing. they can put on some fantastic ariel displays......rick

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

that thing is a pig, good god.

17. fishxtreme

fishxtreme Member

I have caught several of the big gals but dream is one over a grand so def want to see photos.

I have tied into several push the grand and had them snap flying gaff ropes and about sink boat,
    To me its the ultimate beast and I tip my hat to them,

Captain Scott

We'll get another shot a her Scott. There's more out there. Congrats to Capt. and Crew!!!!! :eek:

Post up Capt. we would love to hear the whole story!

18. gman

gman Senior Member

Yeah, the luck part is true. Lucky this thing did'nt get really pissed off and kill everyone in the boat then eat the boat!!!

On hookup, you should hitthe throttles and get far away and fight from a distance and pray they dont go ariel just because most are lost when they jump and come down on mono. Stick the drag to them early and they will sometimes just swim on by to take a look and come right to the boat. I say take em green and stick em first chance or you will probably lose them

10 feet of 400# cable to an offshore loop to 6 feet of single strand so if teh shark swallows bait during hook up you have a skinny wire between the teeth and not bulky cable.

Always keep boat going forward during end game they dnt resist that way and sink two gaffs at the same time. One in gill plate and other right behind the dorsal. OR if you can just get a tail rope over tail without gaffing even better

Cut gill plates horizontally and let the ***** bleed to death and never go near the MOFO's head even hours after death tie a bucket over head to protect you

19. fishxtreme

fishxtreme Member

10 feet of 400# cable to an offshore loop to 6 feet of single strand so if teh shark swallows bait during hook up you have a skinny wire between the teeth and not bulky cable.
    What happens when the piano wire sticks between thier teeth and the fish shakes it's head is the same thing that happens when you hold the same wire with a pair of plyers and move the wire back and forth.... the piano wire breaks. That's why I fish with 900# 49 strand cable on the business end. I gave up the "skinny" wire years ago. I wouldn't stick it green either. Not THAT one or any mako over 200#.

My .02