1 Reel that Does it All??

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by kenner21, Mar 20, 2009.

1. kenner21

kenner21 Member

I've got "permission" to buy a new reel. I would like to find something versatile. Is there a reel that can be used comfortably for chunking,bottom fishing and trolling? I'd add jigging but I'm guessing that'd be asking too much out of one reel. I'd like to have a reel that could handle anything from snapper to 150 lb class tuna. Does such a reel exists or am I asking too much. I've been looking at Tiagras'(TI20) and Accurates(B2-665) and would like to find the smallest and narrowest one I can get away with. Any ideas or suggestions on particular models will be appreciated..

Thanks
    Nate

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The b2 665 w would work for all you have listed

d-a

3. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

If you really aren't looking for a jigging reel, the Tiagra 16 is tough to beat.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

5. kenner21

kenner21 Member

If you really aren't looking for a jigging reel, the Tiagra 16 is tough to beat.

Can a 16 handle larger tuna?

6. kenner21

kenner21 Member

Ok I've decided to heck with it I'm going to get a BX-2, which size would you guys go with the 400 or 500 ?

7. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Can a 16 handle larger tuna?

That Tiagra is better for big tuna than the Boss series. Biggest AJ I've ever seen in person was taken on a 16.

8. kenner21

kenner21 Member

Is the new BX-2 part of the Boss series?? I'm ignorant in the ways of accurates

9. kenner21

kenner21 Member

Feel free to chime in BX-2 500 or Tiagra16?? Pricewise theres not a huge difference

10. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Both are good reel but I would lean toward Tiagra 16 for smoother shifter and drag.

take a hard look at Gorilla 12, if you don't mind single speed reel.JMO

11. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

Chunking, bottom fishing, trolling and even jigging? You need a Saltiga or Stella. You will pair this reel with a 5'9" jigging rod.

Chunking-- just freeline like fishing for yellow tails snappers but for YFTs.
    Bottom fishing-- no problem plenty of drag.
    Trolling-- Just loosen the drag and attach the line to the outrigger.
    Jigging-- What it was made for.

Now, what make this reel better than the rest is that you can carry a popping rod and switch over the reel and fish top water within seconds.

Try casting a conventional reel under pressure with a wide out top water tuna bite.

12. kenner21

kenner21 Member

The single speed is a deal breaker for me I'm a wuss:) I plan on adding a Spinner in a few weeks(got to love overtime)

13. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

B2X-600 = B2-665 almost fit what you are asking
    Agree with TJ, either Tiagra or Accurate B2X-XXX are good; however, B2X-### reels are new - IMO wait for tests from Kil or Mr Bill

14. kenner21

kenner21 Member

I've decided to sleep on it. I'm leaning toward the Tiagra16 right now I think I like the idea of harness lugs too. Would the BX2 be jiggable? Yes I'm making up words now. There is something to say about not being a guinea pig as well. Hurmph ..

I just looked at Bills post and damn that 600 is a good looking reel, maybe I do want to be a guinea pig:)

15. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I woudl also look at the JB reels. I have just recieved my JB12 back with the new shifting mechanism and it is great.
    I use this reel mainly to chunk but I have used it for jiggin quite a few times. And any lever drag with a decent drag capability is good for trolling.
    Plus John Bakers customer service has been spectacular so far.
    The reel also has the harness lugs...

16. kenner21

kenner21 Member

I looked at those as well have you fought many fish on yours? I like the idea of free upgrades for 2 years.

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

you dont need 2 speed reels very often....i wouldnt necessarily let that discourage you.

18. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I looked at those as well have you fought many fish on yours? I like the idea of free upgrades for 2 years.

Free upgrades for 2 years doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing... It's a better way of saying that there's gonna be problems, and they will take care of it for you for free... LOL

19. kenner21

kenner21 Member

Free upgrades for 2 years doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing... It's a better way of saying that there's gonna be problems, and they will take care of it for you for free... LOL

Reminds me of Tommy Boy:)

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the BX2-600 because I could use it for jigging as well. Of course I was dead set on the Tiagra 30 minutes ago:)

20. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

If you're going to jig with it, definitely go with BX2-600, the Tiagra's are heavy reels to be jigging all day with unless you're the incredible hulk or MrBill! :)